News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Belgian life savers medal...

Jut what is the criteria for this? I think it is the model used up to 1909 ?

Hello Chris,

No idea about the criteria : it's a non-official medal and one would have to find the criteria in the archives of that probably no longer existing society (or its successor if there is one). You are right about the time frame : the obverse mentions Leopold II as sovereign of the independent state of Congo and he relinquished the Congo to the Belgian state in October 1908 if my information is correct.

Nice named medal !

Cheers,

Hendrik

I would think that to use the kings name you would need some kind of official "OK" to make the medals?

Hi Chris,

The fact that this society or association is allowed to use the adjective "royal" in its name (call it a form of royal patronage if you will), doesn't mean its medals are considered official Belgian government medals.

Anyway, I agree that - since using the king's effigy on the medal - approval quite likely had to be sought with the royal house at the time. There would have been no need to involve the then Belgian government and so the medal has to be called "unofficial".

Had a look at the one I have in my collection and found the reverse wording different. I'm inclined to think yours is older because of the "centrale" on it but would like to see this confirmed one day.

Cheers,

Hendrik