News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Shooting Cord, Representative Cord, and Shoulder Cord in the NVA

I would like to cover the topice of shoulder cords worn in the NVA by both officers and enlisted men. There are a number of different cords used in the different arms of the NVA and by officers and enlisted men. There will be several photos attached and they are all taken from the uniform regulations of the DDR NVA date 1986 called; DV 010/0/005 Uniformarten und ihre Trageweise Bekleidungsvorschrift or from Uniformen der Nationalen Volkesarmee der DDR 1956-1986 by Klaus-Ulrich Keubke and Manfred Kunz.

Since the topic title stars with the Shooting Cord that is where I will begin.

It is worn on the right shoulder of the dress tunic for the NVA army and airforce and with the Nr. 1 Parade Uniform (Kieler shirt) for the navy. The army and airforce will have a small button sewn onto the right shoulder under the shoulderboard and one end of the cord is attached to this. The other end of the cord is looped over the second button of the jacket before it is buttoned. The navy has a button sewn on top of the right shoulder of the Keiler Shirt and another button sewn on the front of the Kieler Shirt. The cord is attached to these two butons. The button on the front of the Kieler Shirt is hidden by the knot of the neckerchief. The navy als wears their cords with the Pea Coat in the same fashion as the army and airforce except the lower end of the cord is looped over the top button before the coat is buttoned.

The cord for the Motorschutzen.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Next comes the enlisted man's Representative Cord. This cord is similar to the officers cord and is worn by Honour Companies, Central Orchestra of the NVA, Staff Music Corps Berlin and since 1977 may be worn to military ceremonies.

The Representative Cord.

The Officers cord is worn in the same fashion as the previous cords, and is made of the same materials, so I will not go into detail about the wear of it. I would like to mention that the army and the airforce officers wear exactly the same cord with silver ferrules. The navy officers wear the same silver cord but with gold ferrules. Genearls and Admirals wear the same all gold cords. There is no difference in ferrule design between any of the services. The first picture with be of an officers cord as it comes packaged from the manufacturer. This cord is for a naval officer as you will se from the pictures.