News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Glory II class

To restore - or not restore ...

Gentlemen,

With regard to this question, because I feel that this ?right?, if you will, ends with the recipient and/or his family. Therefore, I would just like to vote against restoration work by dealers and collectors - with one caveat. When a piece is broken off and separate from the insignia, then I would say that it is okay for a repair; but I honestly can not vote in favor of enamel repairs and such (again, by dealers and collectors).

I understand that many collectors prefer perfect and pristine pieces; and I respect that. At the same time there are those among us who appreciate the banged around pieces with the shabby ribbons and the character that, as such, they reflect.

Just my opinion, any others?

Regards,

Wild Card

Although, I have seen some stunning repair jobs that are undetectable!

Try blacklighting and see if it remains undetectable!

I have an order or two were the enamel was professionally restored. Invisible to the eye, the restored parts glow yellow under the UV! Its worth the "investment"!

Jim

The topic of whether to restore or not is in my opinion much deeper than that!

My ideas are:

If the enamel is flaking and contact and handling leads to even more damage, then the approach should be STABILISE the damage!!

If the enamel is TOTALLY gone, say in the case of an OGPW arm which is seperate from the rest of the enamelled parts, then PROFESSIONAL restoration will restore its beauty without being invasive and without damaging the order or the remaining enamel content.

If the enamel has been PARTLY damaged as in the case of many red banners, then no resoration should take place as this can only fudge up the existing enamel.

Of course I have never had any orders restored in spite of my ideas on the subject. The reason being that they were probably worn that way and perhaps, the damage they incurred is an integral part of their battlefield story.

Jim :cheers:

PS - As for the polished down cavalier set, my heart aches!!

Dear Jim,

good arguments :cheers: .

I have a got a new exchange ribbon with my Nakhimov-Medal-group, but I didn't exchange the ribbon :D .

On the other side: I wouldn't have purchased another Nevsky T 2 for my humble & modest collection without the restored top-ray of the red star: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=14011 . O.K., I only paid less than USD 290,- (some years ago) in Vienna for that Nachimov T 2 ;) .

Darrell's argument has weight: Who knows, who has done the repair work at the orders?

Best regards :beer:

Christian

MMM.... Ribbons!

I cannot say I would ever advocate changing or cleaning the ribbons!! I have my Kiev anniversary ribbon which is in absolute tattters and faded but I would not change it ..... let alone for a higher medal than that!

The only time I have ever bought replacement ribbons was for those medals that came without their suspension or ribbon and which I wanted to, of course "make intact" once again. I careful tabs of the few medals that have had this done to them, just to make sure that I know the original condition in which they were received. Thankfully this does not happen all that often. But when u have, an order that came without its suspension and ribbon, it is a real pity for display purposes not to have it on its mounting!

Sure, but that means opening and closing the ribbon clasp and leaving marks on the reverse of the suspension! I would advise against that. Replacing the original ribbon will never look as good once it has been removed either!

Replacement Ribbons

Gentlemen,

we should not forget, that the veterans themselves replached the ribbons - or suspension & ribbon - quite frequently.

During the GPW the ribbons had been saved by a sort of plastic cover in the form of the suspension. I assume, that after 9th of may 1945 all soldiers removed the plastic covers ;) .

Imagine: A great party with old comrades from the GPW. You are eating a lot and drinking a liter of self-made vodka. The next day you might have go to the special shop to buy some replacement ribbons :P .

As long as the ribbon is still firmly attached to the suspension, I wouldn't exchange.

Christian

• 3 months later...

Dear Ed,

great group of a typical NCO-GPW-hero :cheers: .

I love such groups, because these comrades - privates & NCOs - had won the WW II for us :love: .

Well, I never managed to get such a documented Glory 2cl & foreign award group for a reasonable price :( .

Christian

To get us back on (toward) topic, let me share the group that recently came to live with me. To Jr. Sgt. Artyom Semenovitch Ivakhnenko.

See http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=19792 for more.

. . . I never managed to get such a documented Glory 2cl & foreign award group for a reasonable price :( .

Not sure the price was "reasonable", but I am very happy with it. A year from now, though, the price will seem CHEAP.

:cheers: