News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

1914 "Mons" Star

• Replies 59
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you very much Tony!

Then I was completely wrong.

Can we know on the MIC if he actually retrieved his clasp?

Kind regards

Bison

Under the words Action Taken is handwritten clasp .......... 4/?/22 That was the date of issue for the clasp/bar.

I thought the MIC would show the issue of clasp and roses. I can't find his MIC for the medal pair but after checking the SWB list again I saw something I missed before, he was discharged due to wounds.

• 7 months later...

I have two 1914 Mons Stars, one on its own, one still with his VM and also VM slit from a Mons star trio.  I also have 11 14/15 stars.

The Maddocks star has a very early entitlement having landed in France on the first day that British troops officially landed there, though some troops landed in the evening of the day before.

maddocks, william ASC t-24415 mons star montage.jpg

Vanner, Charles Edward SW Bords 9147 Mons star and VM.jpg

Horrobin, Percy. Royal Lancs 8801.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed guys, I am after at least two more to be honest!  I collect to the 3 main Welsh regiments, RWF, S.Wales Bords and the Welsh, and as I have one for the Bords, I am after one each for the RWF and the Welsh, though I doubt that will be enough!

As regards early entries in France in 1914 two companies of 2/RWF (A&B) landed at Rouen, The Cameronians and 1st Middlesex landed at Le Havre and the 2nd Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders landed at Boulogne all on the 11th August 1914.