News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Heros of the Soviet Union 2 volume encyclopaedia

Hi lads

Just a quick note to say that I have the 2 volume Heros encyclopaedia which references all the Hero title recipients, with brief lists of their exploits etc...... and would be happy to look up entries for anyone who needs any info.

Just leave a message here, or PM me and I'll post the relevant page in this thread for you.

I have 2000 pages of entries in cryillic here which you're welcome to share.

Do I speak cryillic? - No, don't be rediculous - but I'm sure we can muddle through!!

All entries have photo's of the title holders, or in some cases, artists sketches.

regards

Marshall

PS - I use the term 'artists' loosely... ohmy.gif

Guest Rick Research

beer.gif I'll put this up top. Much obliged!

How about the biography (need to know if he was in China 1950s) and Ugly Cartoon Wanted Poster "portrait" cheeky.gif for WW2 15 victories ace Gold Star Hero of the Soviet Union (8.12.43) Air Force Colonel-General (1976) Aleksandr Grigorievich SHEVTSOV (1918-1988)? Rick

Me-thinks this is your guy... if not, I'll try again..

A regular Romeo, this guy! - he got of lightly in the portrait department - probably as befits his rank.. love.gif compared to the poor guy above who got some defector from the 1950's Disney animation department!

Are you sure about 8.12.43?

Marshall

Edited by Biro

Great service Marshall! In the spirit of sharing I can offer what I can find in:

Ordenskaya Knizjka, Geroi Sovetskogo Sojoza. It's the book that lists:

Serial number; Name; Award date; Date of death

Stalin's Eagles. A book on soviet air aces from ww2 and Korea.

In the last on I found your guy Rick. But not much other info that already in the russian book. It also confirms the date that Marshall found.

/Kim

Guest Rick Research
    beer.gif MUCH appreciated! I have "Eagles" and that was the only source I had on him. I have his ribbon bar 1970-75 IF he was around China during the Korean War, since everything else matches.

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone needs help on researching Soviet fighter aces I have over 1000 books (in Russian) on HSUs, memoirs, unit histories etc. on that subject and a data base of over 1800 Soviet fighter aces with personal and shared kills, decorations and units.

I also have the large book with photos and bios of recipients of all three classes of the Order of Glory. Gunner 1

Guest Rick Research

beer.gif have you got anything that could verify whether Shevtsov above had anything to do with Red China in the 1950s? All of the Soviet ribbons here match, but I cannot place him for the Korean War and later period for the last two Sino-Soviet Friendship Medals.

[attachmentid=9594]

Alas, his Heroes portrait was cropped above his decorations!

If anyone needs help on researching Soviet fighter aces I have over 1000 books (in Russian) on HSUs, memoirs, unit histories etc. on that subject and a data base of over 1800 Soviet fighter aces with personal and shared kills, decorations and units.

I also have the large book with photos and bios of recipients of all three classes of the Order of Glory.  Gunner 1

Gunner1,

Do you have any information on Krasnookii, Mikhail Danilovich, a senior lieutenant in the 32nd IASP during the war? From some of the research I've been able to dig up, it appears he shot down 9 German aircraft - all in the last 4 months of the war. He flew Yak-1 and Yak-3's. His awards included a Red Banner, Patriotic War 2nd Class, two Red Stars, a 1985 Patriotic War 2nd Class, and a combat service medal (long service). He was a major by 1953 assigned to unit 23587. I'd be much abliged for any info you have on him. A photo of him would be fantastic.

All the best,

Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Any information on this guy would be appreciated. ЧЕРНЯК, СТЕПАН ИВАНОВИЧ (1899-1976). (Cherniak, Stepan Ivanovich). He became a Hero of Soviet Union on 7th April 1940 for commanding 136th RD against the Finns. I am specially interested in his rank at the time but anything would do.

speechless.gifspeechless.gif Please forget this as I already got the information on him. I somehow mixed up his first name blush.gif

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Edited by Steen Ammentorp

• 3 months later...

Rick Research wrote: "have you got anything that could verify whether Shevtsov above had anything to do with Red China in the 1950s? All of the Soviet ribbons here match, but I cannot place him for the Korean War and later period for the last two Sino-Soviet Friendship Medals."

Colonel Aleksandr Grigor'evich Shetsov commanded the 97th IAD at Andong in China in 1952. Gunner 1

Doug wrote: "Do you have any information on Krasnookii, Mikhail Danilovich, a senior lieutenant in the 32nd IASP during the war? From some of the research I've been able to dig up, it appears he shot down 9 German aircraft - all in the last 4 months of the war. He flew Yak-1 and Yak-3's. His awards included a Red Banner, Patriotic War 2nd Class, two Red Stars, a 1985 Patriotic War 2nd Class, and a combat service medal (long service). He was a major by 1953 assigned to unit 23587. I'd be much abliged for any info you have on him. A photo of him would be fantastic."

Doug: I would be very interested to know where you have found reference to this man. Do you have his papers? I have nothing on him and he is not listed in any Soviet source that I have, nor is he on any Soviet "ace" list of which I am aware. The surname is not a typical Russian name and my first thought was that it was an error of transliteration but I have identified over 1900 Soviet aces and not one of them is named "Mikhail Danilovich"

Regards. Gunner 1

Guest Rick Research

:jumping::jumping::jumping: Thanks for CONFIRMING my now one and only identifiable loose Soviet ribbon bar! :cheers:

I think we need to see Doug's stuff! :beer:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I was wondering whether anybody got some info on this HSU Major-General Anton Ivanovich Slits (Антон Иванович СЛИЦ) as there is no info on him at www.warheroes.ru. He commanded the 42nd RD during the war and according to www.rusarchives.ru died in 1945 (b. 1894). I am particularly interested in hearing a bit more about the circumstances of his death.

Kind Regards

Steen Ammentorp

The Generals of World War II

Here are four photographs from my collection. The first, which is the most prized in the collection, I have identified as Konstantin Stepanovitch Alexeev, 1914-1970. He was an amazing man.

I would love to know the identities of the following three men. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Richie C

Edited by RichieC

Doug wrote: "Do you have any information on Krasnookii, Mikhail Danilovich, a senior lieutenant in the 32nd IASP during the war? From some of the research I've been able to dig up, it appears he shot down 9 German aircraft - all in the last 4 months of the war. He flew Yak-1 and Yak-3's. His awards included a Red Banner, Patriotic War 2nd Class, two Red Stars, a 1985 Patriotic War 2nd Class, and a combat service medal (long service). He was a major by 1953 assigned to unit 23587. I'd be much abliged for any info you have on him. A photo of him would be fantastic."

Doug: I would be very interested to know where you have found reference to this man. Do you have his papers? I have nothing on him and he is not listed in any Soviet source that I have, nor is he on any Soviet "ace" list of which I am aware. The surname is not a typical Russian name and my first thought was that it was an error of transliteration but I have identified over 1900 Soviet aces and not one of them is named "Mikhail Danilovich"

Regards. Gunner 1

Gunner, I'm sorry that I missed your response back in December. I just noticed it while taking a look at the site during my lunch earlier today.

Check out this site: http://www.avia-hobby.ru/publ/sovaces/09_k.html

He is listed as 9+0. I also have a couple of his citations as well as his orders and a couple of documents. I hope to get the rest of his file within the next year. I'll post some of his documents in the research area.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

Is there any chance that you might be able to identify the fellow pictured below? I do not think that the writing on the back of the picture holds the answer; but maybe the face is familiar?

Thank you in advance,

Wild Card

Hi Doug,

Unfortunately, the scans show the picture (and reverse) as complete as it is. It would appear that for whatever reason, the picture has been cropped and when this was done, material/information on the reverse was chopped.

Thinking that, when compared to most HSU?s, this fellow has a rather different appearance and air about him, I hoped that someone might just recognize him. Whenever I thumb through the Great Encyclopedias, I try to keep him in mind and maybe someday...

Thank you for your time and effort Doug. I promise that if the mystery is ever solved, I will certainly let you know.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...
    Guest Alanirvine

Hello, I need information on Lt. A. Sedunov, awarded a HSU on 2/22/44.

He retired as a Colonel

Thank you for your help.

Alanirvine