News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Civil Version of the Signum Laudis

hunyadi

Just got this little nice item. Though the war ribbon with swords Signum Laudis medals are one of my favorites to collect, I could not pass up this little gem. Not too often do you find ones that were awarded for civilian use. (red trifold ribbon) The ribbon is starched stiff and looks like it ha been on the medal for quite a long time. Also the extra bonus is the case, which was made in Budpaest, not VIenna like so many that I find.

Guest Rick Research

Actually, I think the Signum Laudis medals were only purely military, so this would be a peacetime ribbon for that. :beer:

Hallo Alex,

the stampings on Austrian medals can denote the maker, or that the import tax has been paid on them when they were sent to Hungary or other Austrian Provences :beer:

There is probably a far more complicated way of stating it but I only know the simple way :D

Charles a.k.a Hunyadi will probably chip in here, (if he is not to busy celebrating Easter this weekend :D )

Kevin in Deva :beer::D

Well - I am the last expert on the makers marks for these - I think Hyanu has a grip on those. But for the ribbon - yes that is the correct war ribbon for your Signum Laudis. Though from the scan and judging by the width - its not a ribbon for a trifold (AH style) but rather is probably for an award to another Axis ally - Germany as my guess would be? Any histroy of the ribbon and the medal being together??

The "AA" mark (not VV) means, if I remember correctly, that all part of the medal are made of the same and good metal, meaning real silver or gold. I've got the same on my Franz Joseph Officer's cross (which is gold). "VM" is Vincenz Mayer, a jeweler from Vienna.

Haynau, please jump in if I am wrong ... ;)

Janos Hunyadi was the defender of Belgrade in 1456 - so that makes him a 15th Century...my mind was on the battle of Eger in 1552...when I said 16th Century. :speechless: Anyhow - Hunyadi felt that it was his God ordained mission in life to defend Europe from the Turkish empire. Besieged in Belgrade with only 20,000 troops and the civilian population he had requested help from Rome to stop the advance and break the seige. The Vatican was apparently a little too busy and sent a solitary monk as "assistance" - apparently the story goes that early in the morning some eager defenders on their own initiative stormed out of the gates and began to assault the Turks who were still mostly sleeping in their tents. A fierce skirmish ensued which quickly turnd into a battle. As legend has it the monk sent by Rome was caught up in the fury of the initial skirmish and proclaimed "whatever God has started, who are we to intervene?" (IE - "lets go men!") Hunyadi had not ordered the attack but himslef gathered the remaining troops and pressed the assualt. By the end of the battle the Turks had eitehr died or turned tail and ran. The Sultan in charge retreated and gave Hunyadi his honors. The Turkish army had numbered about 150,000. When I think of the battle I think of the battle scene of "Helms Deep" from Lord of the Rings. After the battle the Pope declared that all church bells would be rung at noon to celebrate the victory in Belgade "untill the return of Chirst". To this day the Catholic Church continues to ring the bell at noon and in certain places every hour as it became a great way of telling the villagers what time it was. Sadly Hunyadi died of the Black Plague shortly after his victory.

Hunyadi was not truly Hungarian, but rather a Serb who had married a Hungarian princess. As he was from the southern portion of Hungary, The Regent Admiral Miklos Horhty when he joined Hitler in the Balkan campaign of 1941 in return for the reaquisition of a portion of the Historical Hungary created the medal with the image of Hunyadi on horseback (my avitar is the medal) Then in 1944 when the SS formed the Hungarian Volunteer SS dividison they named it the Hunyadi division and the collar tab was black with a embroidered "H" for "Hunyadi" (Not Hungary as that would have been "U" Ungarn and the Hungarians do not call themselves Hungarians but "Magyar" as they are decendants of the tribes of Magyar - 'Hungary' is actualy a mistake made by Papal missionaries to the region who labeled the people as 'Huns' thinking they were similar to the Germanic tribes.) I think also the imagry of the 1456 Hunyadi played well into the 1944 Hunyadi as being a force that could defeat overwhelming odds. As I understand the SS Hunyadi dividison never saw combat as a formation. Of other interst almost exactly 500 years after the Battle of Belgrade - another battle raged, but this time in the capitol of Hungary in a similar David and Goliath battle (Hungarians vs the Soviets).

kev thanks, Super image, most interesting to live so close to real history! I'll keep it on file, I wouldn't like to meet him on a bad day!!!!!

regards

Well as legend has it he apparnetly spent alot of his time in his chapel praying to God - so if he was a gentile man and kind man could be a possibility, but to the Turks - he was most asuredly bloodthirsty. Now in the Hungarian Military Museum there are two rooms dedicated to, Hunyadi, the Monk (cant remeber his name) and the Battle. In the display is apparently his cloak in relic condition - mohts have certainly taken thier toll on the garment.

Soooooo - how about those Peacetime Signum Laudis? :rolleyes:

The "AA" mark (not VV) means, if I remember correctly, that all part of the medal are made of the same and good metal, meaning real silver or gold. I've got the same on my Franz Joseph Officer's cross (which is gold). "VM" is Vincenz Mayer, a jeweler from Vienna.

Haynau, please jump in if I am wrong ... ;)

I'am standing still, no need for jumping.

haynau :cheers: