News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My Soviet Sub and Ship Command badges:

Hi all,

I've had most of these for quite a number of years, but I just got a couple of new additions... one I'm not sure about... don't know if it's a fake or a variation so would love comments on it.

First off, the one I'm concerned about:

First the obverse. It seems a tiny bit smaller somehow than the others I have. Also the enamel in the star does not stand out quite as well as my others do:

Reverse... note the odd nut on the screwback... never seen one like this before:

Closeup of the star:

Back of the nut:

Now for the family group which I've finally completed:

The one I just received is the gold ship badge which designates a Fleet Commander (Admiral). I already had the gold for the Sub and both the silver badges (ship and sub) as well.

Dear Dan,

there are so many variations of the Soviet sub badge, that only an expert can tell if it's a fake or not.

The enamel of the red star is not so bad, it's quite fine. The guns of the sub are pointing in a strange direction.

I like more the other Soviet Navy badges at your thread :D .

I started now a thread about the rare YU sub badges: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16805 .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Edited by Christian Zulus

Dear Dan,

there are so many variations of the Soviet sub badge, that only an expert can tell if it's a fake or not.

The enamel of the red star is not so bad, it's quite fine. The guns of the sub are pointing in a strange direction.

I like more the other Soviet Navy badges at your thread :D .

I started now a thread about the rare YU sub badges: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16805 .

Christian

Hi Christian,

Many thanks! :beer: As far as if the one is good or a variation or what I'm perhaps some of the others who may have specialized in this area will chime in and give their opinions. It's hard to describe but I'm sure you've felt it before... when you see a piece and something just doesn't seem "right". It may be a perfectly legit badge... just a variation or type I've never seen before. I do hope that's the case. But I'd like to be sure one way or the other. I basically have nothing in it. I got three of them... the gold fleet badge, another silver ship badge which I'm giving to Vic (Order of Victory) and this one. I'd originally intended to send that extra silver sub badge to Vic as well but I've told him I'll get him another as I definitely don't want to send him a fake for his collection, and if a variation I do collect those when I can. But I promised to make it up to him and I'm sending him some other pieces which I'm hoping make up for it in some small way. :blush: I've basically agonized over it all day but feel this is the way to go.

I'll have to check out your thread on the Yugo badges as well. Sounds very interesting. :beer:

Dan :cheers:

Hi Christian,

Many thanks! :beer: As far as if the one is good or a variation or what I'm perhaps some of the others who may have specialized in this area will chime in and give their opinions. It's hard to describe but I'm sure you've felt it before... when you see a piece and something just doesn't seem "right". It may be a perfectly legit badge... just a variation or type I've never seen before. I do hope that's the case. But I'd like to be sure one way or the other. I basically have nothing in it. I got three of them... the gold fleet badge, another silver ship badge which I'm giving to Vic (Order of Victory) and this one. I'd originally intended to send that extra silver sub badge to Vic as well but I've told him I'll get him another as I definitely don't want to send him a fake for his collection, and if a variation I do collect those when I can. But I promised to make it up to him and I'm sending him some other pieces which I'm hoping make up for it in some small way. :blush: I've basically agonized over it all day but feel this is the way to go.

I'll have to check out your thread on the Yugo badges as well. Sounds very interesting. :beer:

Dear Dan,

many thanks for checking our Yugo badges :cheers: .

Maybe as Andrew "Mondvor" - he is the expert with Soviet Awards at GMIC :unsure: ?

That badge looks somehow "different".

Christian

Dear Dan,

many thanks for checking our Yugo badges :cheers: .

Maybe as Andrew "Mondvor" - he is the expert with Soviet Awards at GMIC :unsure: ?

That badge looks somehow "different".

Christian

Hi Christian,

No problem on the Yugo badges... really like them. Wish they weren't so rare and expensive... but always nice to look. :love:

I may have to give him a nudge and see if he'll pop over and take a look. Re: your other post I'd not even noticed the directions the guns were pointing till you mentioned it. Thanks for pointing that out! :cool: I mean, if it's a variation it's a neat one. But if it's a fake I'd definitely want to know that too. I'm of course still hoping for the former but I'm prepared for the latter. I figure for what I paid it was less than I'd expected to put out for a gold fleet badge... so as far as I'm concerned I got the rest for free! :jumping:

Well, here's hoping it turns out well but either way at least it's better to know.

Thanks again! :beer:

Congrats Dan on your number 8 ranking and you 2500 post :cheers:

Order of Victory

Many thanks my friend!!!! :cheers::jumping::jumping: Again when I noticed I was shocked. I knew I'd gone over the 2,000 mark not that long ago but then blam... over 2,500! :speechless1: Can't wait to do the next 2,500! :P:beer:

• 2 years later...

Been a long while since adding anything here. But have a few new badges. Could use some definite ID's on these if possible as I've seen them called several different things over time.

I think this first is for a Long Distance Voyage on a submarine... but again please correct me if I'm wrong.unsure.gif

Then one for Navy Submarine Veterans:

This one I definitely need an ID on... have heard it referred to in several different ways. I've actually got two of these but both are identical:

One thing I like about this one and the one previous is that the sub is nearly a miniature of the full sized Submarine badges. These are multi piece construction and screwback. The first badge is also a screwback but is one piece construction.

Again any help on these deeply appreciated.beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

• 1 month later...

sorry they are all bad or a souvenirs. The badge with 300 in it. It's non official commemorative 300 years of Russian Fleet. If you are interested I can send you a scan fro soviet badges book, the page with commander of submarine, so you will have something to compare.

In post #16, top badge, you are correct.

Badge "For Long Range Cruise", Soviet Navy, instituted on 22 May 1961. Awarded to the most distinguished, highly disciplined military and civilian personnel of the Navy who participate in long-range cruises on vessels of the Navy, provided that the missions are successful. For all vessels, transition from one ocean to another; for vessels of under 1000 tons, a 30 day cruise with a distance of at least 500 miles from departure point; for vessels of over 1000 tons, a 45 day cruise depending on home port, Northern Fleet - the limits of the Norwegian Sea, Pacific fleet – 3000 miles from point of origin, Black Sea Fleet and the Novorossiysk Naval district - outside of the Aegean Sea, Baltic fleet - beyond the North Sea. Specifically for submarines, a cruise with no docking amounting to more than half of the full autonomy of the vessel.

This particular variant was bestowed up until 1976 when it was replaced by the variant below.

Edited by TacHel

sorry they are all bad or a souvenirs. The badge with 300 in it. It's non official commemorative 300 years of Russian Fleet. If you are interested I can send you a scan fro soviet badges book, the page with commander of submarine, so you will have something to compare.

I'm sorry to hear this but better to know. Luckily I have very little in any of them so not a catastrophe or anything. And yes, I'd be most grateful for anything you could provide in the way of reference material. I've just sent you a PM with my email address.

Many thanks!beer.gif

Dancheers.gif

• 10 years later...