News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Nice to see the "other" roses...at least only one order I have from Schaumburg-Lippe...a special one, I already showed you.

Here it is again:

Order for art and science 2nd class Schaumburg-Lippe (cross type 1902-1918) on a bow-style ribbon for women

:D

There were 119 awards between 1899-1918 for the 2nd class, 30 women got it.

The first class was awarded 35 times...

The showed belongs to Sanna Klara Valentin-Strandberg (called "Lilly Walleni", a opera singer),

who got it December, 12th in 1913 as "F?rstlich Lippische Kammers?ngern" in Hannover.

She also got the order for a. and s. 2nd class with oakleaves ("Lippische Rose 2.Klasse mit Eichenlaub") Lippe-Detmold in February 1914.

Greetings

Solomon

Hi Solomon

Never seen one of those before :jumping: , very attractive. Did all the German States have an "Arts & Science Medal"? Thanks

Yankee

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Yankee,

I thought that it might be appropriate to show an example with those unique swords.

Solomon - another example of the unusual variations found within the arts and science awards areas. Thanks for posting.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Yankee,

I thought that it might be appropriate to show an example with those unique swords.

Solomon - another example of the unusual variations found within the arts and science awards areas. Thanks for posting.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card

What a great surprise :jumping::jumping::jumping: , this is now the 2nd Schaumburg Lippe piece I have never seen before this just gets better & better. I noticed the hilts are very sturdy & beautifully detailed. Only other time I've seen seen hilts so bold & solid is on the Wendish Crown Have you any idea of a time line for your piece, can't tell if gold or silver gilt. With so fewer issued in swords do you know who the orginal holder is? Thanks for the picture

Sincerely

Yankee

Hi Yankee,

Unfortunately, I am not expert enough to absolutely determine whether this piece is gold or silver gilt for sure; but my guess is that it is gold. Below is a gold (for sure) pre 1911 piece like yours.

One interesting thing about my two pieces is that upon close inspection, the reverse of the arms on the piece with swords are flat while those on the pre 1911 piece are very slightly convex.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card

That is great, three different configurations of the officer cross on one thread :speechless1: . I am fairly certain the one you have without swords is gold. Mine without swords has flat arms just like yours with swords, probably same time period. I think yours with swords is silver gilt, if I'm wrong please correct me, not totally certain from the scan on that one. For certain mine is silver gilt except for the center which is gold

Thanks

Yankee.

• 1 month later...

Someone has ever seen a wooden medal bar? :speechless1:

The Golden and Silver Merit Medals of Schaumburg-Lippe are missing, but the bar's still interresting - and easy to compost. :D

If someone wants to give it a new home, maybe as he has the two medals laying around naked ... :blush:

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch::speechless1:

OK, maybe a forester with spare time on his hands? Certainly not a fireman!!! :speechless1:

:cheers:

May i ask what auction? I don't have the money for these sorts of items but I sure would like to look. If you want to keep it private please PM me.

These are beautiful awards. I never imaged anyone could have one than one in their collection.

Guest Rick Research

I've just completed transcribing the 1890-1918 roll for the Officer grade of Schaumburg's Honor Cross. I don't believe there is any way to tell from the design whether one dates from 1869-90 or 1890-1918-- only that some types were NOT ever awarded from 1890 on, so any there are must pre-date that. With just over half the years they were awarded...

and extrapolating from DETMOLD'S returns... numbers awarded/potentially Out There are

:speechless1::speechless1::speechless1:

Also discovered two types that are not listed as ever having existed. :catjava: (No doubt because those were all returned and so no longer exist. :speechless1: )

What's the difference between the types shown and this Honor Cross from WW1

......?????hm....The cross you showed us, is from Lippe-Detmold not from Schaumburg-Lippe -that?s the difference :lol:

Greetings

Solomon

......?????hm....The cross you showed us, is from Lippe-Detmold not from Schaumburg-Lippe -that?s the difference :lol:

Greetings

Solomon

Thank you Soloman. I get those two confused and don't know why. Why are these awards so similar? Were these two Principalitys joined at one time by the same royal family?

Also, can anyone tell me what units, if any, were associated with Scaumburg-Lippe and Lippe-Detmold.

Forgive my ignorance but I've been away form Imperial German collecting for several years now and much of my knowledge is fading, especially the history of these two states.

Thank you Soloman. I get those two confused and don't know why. Why are these awards so similar? Were these two Principalitys joined at one time by the same royal family?

Also, can anyone tell me what units, if any, were associated with Scaumburg-Lippe and Lippe-Detmold.

Forgive my ignorance but I've been away form Imperial German collecting for several years now and much of my knowledge is fading, especially the history of these two states.

I have added some additional background on the states and their associated units to the Lippe pages here:

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militari...ppe-detmold.htm

http://home.att.net/~david.danner/militaria/schaumburg.htm

• 7 years later...

Does someone have a name`s list of the Schaumburg-Lippe cross "Für treue Dienste" on non-combatant ribbon.

(281 awards) May be Dave D.?

What did happen with all the Data of Rick Lundström?

Does one of you have it now?

Rick's transcription of the rolls was published. According to Rick there are no award rolls for the cross for true service, only receipts from the awardee.

​Correct, no rolls for this cross...the same for the Lippe-Detmold war merit cross.

Lippe crosses are more attractive but which are more rare?

In the case of the  Lippe Detmold Honour Cross 4th class with swords I read that it was awarded only 82 times from 30th May 1905 to 11th November 1918.

With Schaumburg Lippe being the smaller of the two principalities I think it would be the rarer of the two.

I certainly would be interested to know how many Schaumburg Lippe Honour Crosses 4th class with swords were awarded if anyone knows?

Lippe.png