News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Long Range Desert Group badges

Hi Guys

I have always been interested in the Long Range Desert Group badges and shoulder titles as part of my special forces collecting, but have always been put off with the amount of fakes out there. Unfortunately the few books that have a photo of an LRDG badge in it do not go into enough detail for a collector to tell the good ones from the bad.

I have seen a few of these badges on eBay lately, many of them pretty worn down on the face, and am sure some clever chaps are taking a modern restrike/copy/fake, what ever you want to call them, and buffing them up until it is just brass left and much of the detail worn down, then selling them as originals.

I am hoping that there are some collectors on this site that have LRDG badges and shoulder titles that they acquired straight from a vet or his family and can take nice close up photos, back and front, for me. I want to start a file on originals that I can use to compare those for sale with.

Would appreciate anyone who has originals to email photos of them directly to me so that I can get a high resolution photo of each one, higher than the site would allow you to attach. My email address is militaria@netpoint.co.za

I just bought this set on eBay and would appreciate any comments on them from the more experienced collectors please.

Many thanks

James D.N. MacKenzie

SAM - Southern Africa Militaria

http://southernafricamilitaria.com

Hello James and best wishes from Australia!

I could recommend a book from New Zealand called 'The Kiwi Scorpions' by Brendan O'Carroll (Token Publishing Limited

ISBN 1-870192-41-9 Published 2000), which has a couple of pages of colour photos of these badges at the rear of the book,

and yours is similar to the types shown, I can spot some small differences between yours and the types illustrated in the book

but yours is very close, (see pages 202 and 203), it states in the description:

"The official brass LRDG badges was produced in early 1942, The first issues tended to be cast, whereas later the sharper, struck

examples became more evident. Also there was a variation in quality, finish and design of the scorpion and circle."

If you like and when my wife returns from seeing the grandkids later this evening I will get the camera back and can try and get

a couple of photos of the 2 pages for you.

Best wishes

Bob

Hello James and best wishes from Australia!

I could recommend a book from New Zealand called 'The Kiwi Scorpions' by Brendan O'Carroll (Token Publishing Limited

ISBN 1-870192-41-9 Published 2000), which has a couple of pages of colour photos of these badges at the rear of the book,

and yours is similar to the types shown, I can spot some small differences between yours and the types illustrated in the book

but yours is very close, (see pages 202 and 203), it states in the description:

"The official brass LRDG badges was produced in early 1942, The first issues tended to be cast, whereas later the sharper, struck

examples became more evident. Also there was a variation in quality, finish and design of the scorpion and circle."

If you like and when my wife returns from seeing the grandkids later this evening I will get the camera back and can try and get

a couple of photos of the 2 pages for you.

Best wishes

Bob

Hi Bob

Very kind of you to reply, thanks.

I have Kiwi Scorpion's already, thanks. Have bought most of the LRDG books I could find over the years. An excellent book this, but still does not give enough nice clear photos, back and front, that a collector needs.

Many thanks

James

Can't help you with your grouping I'm afraid James but I am extremely interested in it as my name is also Bloor! :cheers:

Dave

Hi Dave

Nice to hear from you. That is amazing, not a common name out here in South Africa, it is the first time I have heard of it.

Do you know of any relative who served in the RAMC and LRDG? His force number is Medics, must have been attached to LRDG or transferred to them.

Cheers

James

I have been talking to my Dad and apparently we did have a relative in the 8th Army but he can't remember his name, I'll have to contact my Uncle in Oz...he will know more.

It will be a pretty long shot if the group is anything to do with my family :)

Did you get them from SA eBay?

Dave

I have been talking to my Dad and apparently we did have a relative in the 8th Army but he can't remember his name, I'll have to contact my Uncle in Oz...he will know more.

It will be a pretty long shot if the group is anything to do with my family :)

Did you get them from SA eBay?

Dave

Hi Dave

No, bought it on UK eBay. Unfortunately the seller says he knows nothing about Bloor.

Cheers

James

A silly question.... did Brit tags have the unit stamped on them? Not my field at all, but I have never seen tags with LRDG on them ?

Great War tags showed the unit, I believe the standard for WWII was as in Mr. Bloor's fibre tag above.

I don't know when the British army changed back to aluminium tags, could he have stayed in a bit longer than the duration? Mine were aluminium but didn't show the regiment/corps.

Tony

That late and the LRDG no longer existed?

Could the aluminium ones be unofficial? I had a set of copies of my tag made in Tchad... but out of silver... not aluminium ;-)

Hi Chris

These are unofficial/privately made tags, the aluminium ones. One of his official tags in in the lot. I have had a few unofficial tags through my hands already, mostly made in brass plate, some even shaped the same round and octaganol shapes as the official issue ones. I am more worried about the beret badge and shoulder titles being originals as I paid quite a bit for these. I am quite happy with the tags.

Cheers

James

Hello James,

May be you should contact Craig Fourie in SA. After all, he co-wrote the book LRDG RHODESIA and there are some badges pictured in this book.

It seems to me that the original cap badges do not have a raised rim on the circle. But as there were several manufacture and I'm far from knowing it all, this may not be conclusive.

Another thing I may suggest is to contact the LRDG Association in UK to enquire about BLOOR H., RAMC.

Cheers

Eric

Hello James,

May be you should contact Craig Fourie in SA. After all, he co-wrote the book LRDG RHODESIA and there are some badges pictured in this book.

It seems to me that the original cap badges do not have a raised rim on the circle. But as there were several manufacture and I'm far from knowing it all, this may not be conclusive.

Another thing I may suggest is to contact the LRDG Association in UK to enquire about BLOOR H., RAMC.

Cheers

Eric

Hi Eric

I am in contact with Craig, have known him and Jonathan Pittaway for many years. I am trying to find out other variations but want to see the ones that came from vets only, then we know they are originals.

I will see if I can find the LRDG Association in the UK, thanks.

Cheers

James

• 5 months later...

James, The LRDG Assoc is now incorperated within the SAS Asssociation. There is however a 'friends of' site which may help. The LRDG Preservation Society. Worth a look?

http://www.lrdg.org/

Hi Tynesideirish

Many thanks for the info, I have already found their webiste. I think I have found every website on the LRDG that exists.

Cheers

James

• 3 months later...

Hi

Not sure if this will help you.This one is an original WW2 issue i bought through Bosleys.The rear scorpion is dished,no prominent edge to the outer edge of the badge .nicely cut out lettering,correct die flaws etc..very nice and desirable. Your group is certainly interesting and worthy of further investigation..if i had viewed i would have risked a buck or two..

best wishes

steve

Edited by arrestanddevelopment

Hi

Not sure if this will help you.This one is an original WW2 issue i bought through Bosleys.The rear scorpion is dished,no prominent edge to the outer edge of the badge .nicely cut out lettering,correct die flaws etc..very nice and desirable. Your group is certainly interesting and worthy of further investigation..if i had viewed i would have risked a buck or two..

best wishes

steve

Hi Steve

Very kind of you to add the photo, thanks. Any chance of a nice close up of the back of the badge as well?

Cheers

James

• 11 years later...

Hi there fellow collectors!

An associate of mine has her fathers L.R.D.G. badge & is wanting to know the monetary value, as she is currently in financial purgatory. The badge (I apologise for not having photographs!) is a very nice 'brooch pin' type as found on World War One British wound badges. It is also of the same quality, but in brass rather than silver. I believe the badge to genuine as I do have previous experience with British items ( although I have been collecting mainly 3rd Reich & Communist Bloc Items for the past 33 years), & she is a lady of good repute & the daughter of a British Officer. Her Pa served alongside Tito's Partisans. I wish he were alive to tell me the tales.

I do not want to make an offer on the badge without advice as to what kind of offer to make.

Your advice would be most appreciated. Thank you & with Faith!

I know this is an old thread bumped by someone else, but the thread starter badge exhibits details consistent with a copy, the tail touching the leg is not a good sign.

On 30/03/2019 at 12:25, bifter said:

Hi there fellow collectors!

An associate of mine has her fathers L.R.D.G. badge & is wanting to know the monetary value, as she is currently in financial purgatory. The badge (I apologise for not having photographs!) is a very nice 'brooch pin' type as found on World War One British wound badges. It is also of the same quality, but in brass rather than silver. I believe the badge to genuine as I do have previous experience with British items ( although I have been collecting mainly 3rd Reich & Communist Bloc Items for the past 33 years), & she is a lady of good repute & the daughter of a British Officer. Her Pa served alongside Tito's Partisans. I wish he were alive to tell me the tales.

I do not want to make an offer on the badge without advice as to what kind of offer to make.

Your advice would be most appreciated. Thank you & with Faith!

You really need to share some pics if you want an answer, sounds more like a sweetheart or old comrades badge than an "issue" badge