News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Malta - Carmelo Borg Pisani

Carmelo Borġ Pisani (August 10, 1915?November 28, 1942) was a Maltese nationalist and Fascist. He was born in Cottonera, Malta and executed at Corradino prison in Malta at 7:34 A.M. for treason and spying for the Axis Powers.

Born into a very well respected Catholic and Nationalist Maltese family, Pisani enrolled as a student at the Umberto Primo art lyceum, where he won a scholarship to study in Rome. When war was declared on June 10, 1940, Pisani was still attending the University of Arts in Rome.

Pisani believed that Malta's Latin soul was being destroyed by British rule. He also believed that the best opportunity to restore Malta to its original state was to remove the British. To this end, Pisani, along with many other Maltese students, joined the Fascist party of Italy and the Black Shirt (Camicie Nere) movement. This led him to participate in the Italian occupation of Kefallinia (also Cefalonia) in Greece with the Compagnia Speciale del Gruppo CC.NN. da sbarco della 50a Legione.

On May 18, 1942, Pisani was sent on a secret mission aimed to be the first Axis spy on the island of Malta. He disembarked at the Dingli cliffs in Ras id-Dawwara, and transferred all his rations to the cave, which he knew well from his youth. The unusually inclement weather and the rough sea, however, washed all his possessions away within 48 hours and he was forced to wave a British patrol boat. Upon rescue, he was brought to the Military Hospital at Mtarfa.

All would have gone well had Pisani not been recognized by one of his childhood friends, Cpt. Tom Warrington. He was transferred to Corradino prison, interrogated, and accused of treason. On November 12 1942, he stood trial. The public was excluded to avoid a possible hostile reaction from the Maltese Fascists, however, by this time, the fascists in Malta were either interned in Uganda or deported to Italy. Since the Maltese Legal Code was suspended during the war, a popular jury was not convened. In addition, the judges did not consider his renouncement of British citizenship and passport, acquisition of Italian citizenship, and his participation in combat with the Italian Army. In fact, his participation in combat only served to weaken his position since he fought against Greece, an ally of the United Kingdom. On November 19 1942, he was sentenced to death for conspiring against His Majesty's government and for treason. His execution followed in nine days.

Some claim that he was a hero who fought for an independent Malta. Others say he was a puppet of Mussolini. Some claim his trial was unfair and partial. Others also say he was a prisoner of war, and thus, entitled to different treatment.

In recent years, Italy wanted to bestow further posthumous honours on Pisani for his services to Italy during the war. His family declined. Views remain split as to whether this man was a patriot, traitor or just a spy. What is sure is that his mission was totally unsucessful and almost totally doomed from its start!

Jim :cheers:

Edited by JimZ

Guest Rick Research

If he was in Italian uniform, he was a legal combatant.

If he was in civilian clothes, then he was legally a spy. Whether somebody who never got off the beach and never "did" anything deserved the death penalty doesn't seem to have mattered in that period. The German "saboteurs" landed by U-boats in the United States in 1942 never "did" more than hang out in New York bars-- but they all were hanged except for the one who turned them in.

I'll ty to get some articles translated as most of what has been written about Pisani was by the Italians. The Brits and Maltese after then have always shrugged him off and failed to give him any importance (which I believe he does deserve). On the other hand, he is sometimes getting the wrong sort of prominence by modern day pro fascist right wingers which does not really help his case.

Although Pisani is pictured in uniform, Pisani was landed on the Island in civvie clothing with the idea of passing on information for a potential Italian Invasion. Being conversant in Maltese and English, he was to mingle with the locals and pass on vital information. Of course that constitutes spying and as far as the British were concerned, treason that was punishable by death. Whereas his loyalty as a Maltese should have lay with the crown, Pisani had nevertheless revoked his passport and citizenship and was, in all effects in Malta as an Italian citizen and spy. That makes Pisani guilty as charged. No argument.

What is however disappointing is to see how this gentleman's Maltese family as well as the Maltese government to this date tread with great caution when Pisani is mentioned and they have denied him modern day posthumous honours that the Italian Government wanted to bestow on him. Pisani remains a recipient of the Italian Medaglia d'Oro al Valore Militare.

Looking back at Maltese history, there was always an element of anti british sentiment and the latter did indeed persisted until the successful demand for indepedence in the 60's. With hind sight, Pisani just represented a pro italian (and alas, fascist) movement and he personally took things a step further by taking action about this. As history would have it, he played his hand too early.

Hallo JimZ :cheers:

at the end of the day, the wishes of his immediate family should be respected, after all Italian (and German) Planes were bombing the island constantly in WW2, to accept an award from Italy might be misconstrued by the families neighbours and acquaintances.

I supose there is no evidence that entire family was pro-Maltese liberation or allies to Italy?? or that they wish to re-write history, (their son was not a Maltese freedom-fighter) their son was caught in the service of Italy, in civilian clothes, therefore under the Rules of War, a spy, and he paid the price.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Hiya Kev!

Oh he is definitely guilty as charged! No dispute at all!

But then again, he chose to depart from country and family. Perhaps if he does deserve any form of honour this is indeed the sole business of the Italian Govenrment and to be conferred on him in Italy and not in Malta.

Over 60 years have passed since. The debate goes on and the story still remains something of a hot potato!

On my end and speaking as a Maltese national, I would not like to see him glorified for what was in my opinion an act of treason. But I also like to think that as an intelligent man, he was more than just a puppet, who chose his cause (albeit IMHO a wrong one) and stuck to it until the end.

Right, Jim. But isn't it the intelligent ones who ought to bother us the most? This isn't some mindless hormone- and hate-driven thug. Those we can comprehand, and dismiss. It sounds like this case is more complex and, perhaps, more troubling?

I suppose history has many examples to offer, with varying degress of sucess or failure, a list from WW2 alone could be compiled using many British names including;

William Joyce (Lord Haw-Haw), Benson Railton Metcalf Freeman (RAF pilot captured by the Germans and Waffen ss) Duncan Alexander Croall Scott-Ford (dismissed from the RN for petty crime joined the Merchant Navy.) Harold Cole (Deserter and petty con-man, who betrayed the "PAT" escape route to the Germans and began active collaboration with the Germans).

Other British citizens were: Theodor Sch?rch, "Sergeant" Styles, and Marirtte Smart.

I am sure there were others in the mold of Carmelo Borg Pisani, from Egypt, Greece, Albania, India, Belgium, France, Norway, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, etc.. etc..

Might be an idea to start a seperate thread called Traitors of WW2. :unsure:

Right, Jim. But isn't it the intelligent ones who ought to bother us the most? This isn't some mindless hormone- and hate-driven thug. Those we can comprehand, and dismiss. It sounds like this case is more complex and, perhaps, more troubling?

Granted Ed! No doubt that Italian bombs did a lot to quell the pro-Italian sentiment that could be witnessed in the decades that preceeded the war!!! Pisani never witnessed the suffering, destruction and death inflicted on the Maltese by the Italian and German raids. Notwithstanding any arguments for or against, the facts remain that his loyalties and ideals were misplaced. Indeed, I do agree that there are more complex undertones to this story, not only during the war but more also present day.

Kev - I'll gladly look up those names to learn more about these spies. But a hypothethical question if I may - Had the balance of war shifted in favour of Germany, wouldn't those very same spies that you mentioned have been considered as heroes by the Germans? It is such a fine line that these people walk and for the very same dark deed (and irrespective of which side they spy for), only the tides of war will finally bring to their name or memory, glory or shame!

Jim

Edited by JimZ

Kev - I'll gladly look up those names to learn more about these spies. But a hypothethical question if I may - Had the balance of war shifted in favour of Germany, wouldn't those very same spies that you mentioned have been considered as heroes by the Germans? It is such a fine line that these people walk and for the very same dark deed (and irrespective of which side they spy for), only the tides of war will finally bring to their name or memory, glory or shame!

Jim

I would be more interested to know what their own countrymen would have thought of them, maybe held in contempt by the vast majority, like Quisling in Norway, Petain in France, and other lackys of the iii reich.

With regards the names I quoted: RENEGADES, Hitlers Englishmen, by Adrian Wheale ISBN 0 297 814885

Actually, at the moment I am following a very interesting series on BBC Prime called "The Cambridge Spies"

I am posting a link for reference.... although honestly, I did not read the content thaaaat well as I want to enjoy the show on the telly :blush:

http://www.crimelibrary.com/spies/cambridg...mbridgemain.htm

I'll research them once the series ends!

Jim

Some more information that I have came across when looking for something else is the Italian official site listing recipient of medals ..... including Carmelo Borg Pisani. This is as close to the other side of the coin as it probably gets.

http://www.quirinale.it/onorificenze/elenc...;qOrdinamento=1

The reason for conferring the award being:

Irredento maltese e, come tale, esente dagli obblighi militari, chiedeva ripetutamente ed otteneva di essere arruolato, nonostante una grave imperfezione fisica. Come camicia nera partecipava alla campagna di Grecia, durante la quale contraeva una infermit? per cui avrebbe dovuto essere sotto posto ad atto operatorio, al quale si sottraeva per non allontanarsi anche solo per pochi giorni dal campo di battaglia. Conseguita la nomina ad ufficiale della milizia artiglieria marittima, chiedeva insistentemente di essere utilizzato in una rischiosissima impresa di guerra, alla quale si preparava in lunghi mesi di allenamento e di studio, in perfetta serenit? di spirito e in piena consapevolezza della gravit? del pericolo. Catturato dal nemico, riaffermava di fronte alla corte marziale britannica di Malta la sua nazionalit? italiana e cadeva sotto il piombo del plotone di esecuzione al grido di: " Viva l'Italia a. Fulgido esempio di eroismo, di fede, di abnegazione e di virt? militari, che si riallaccia alle pi? pure tradizioni dell'irredentismo. - Malta, 1942."

My translation as follows:

Being Maltese , he was as such, exempt from any militay service. Notwithstanding, he repeatedly asked and succeeded in being recruited,in spite of serious physical defects. As a Black Shirt he participated in the Greek campaign, during which he contracted an infirmity for which he should have been operated, and for which he refused treatment, even if only for a few days, not to be away from the battlefield. Following his appointment to officer of the Naval Artillery Milizia, he insistingly asked to be used for a high risk war mission, during which he prepared himseld with long months of training and study, in perfect spiritual serenity and with full knowledge of the danger of the mission. captured by the enemy, he re-affirmed his Italian nationality in front of a British Court Martial in Malta and fell to the bullets of an execution squad shouting "Viva L'Italia". A resplendent example of heroism, faith,abnegation and military virtue that can be associated to his purest unredeemable (?) tradition.

My translation as follows:

Being Maltese , he was as such, exempt from any militay service. Notwithstanding, he repeatedly asked and succeeded in being recruited,in spite of serious physical defects. As a Black Shirt he participated in the Greek campaign, during which he contracted an infirmity for which he should have been operated, and for which he refused treatment, even if only for a few days, not to be away from the battlefield. Following his appointment to officer of the Naval Artillery Milizia, he insistingly asked to be used for a high risk war mission, during which he prepared himseld with long months of training and study, in perfect spiritual serenity and with full knowledge of the danger of the mission. captured by the enemy, he re-affirmed his Italian nationality in front of a British Court Martial in Malta and fell to the bullets of an execution squad shouting "Viva L'Italia". A resplendent example of heroism, faith,abnegation and military virtue that can be associated to his purest unredeemable (?) tradition.

Hallo Jim,

The way this is written it sounds like he is being nominated for sainthood. . . . . whenis this dated too??

That's the link that takes you there....

http://www.quirinale.it/onorificenze/Detta...ddecorato=14144. IF its the original text then it must have been written prior to 4- 5- 1943 when it was awarded.

I see your point about the nomination for sainthood! My translation is as faithful as I can get to the High Italian used in the text.

But this little exerpt illustrates the orifinal point of my thread. To the Maltese he was a traitor who was executed. To the Italians he was a hero and a martyr who was decorated.