News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I recently bought this postcard photo of Major von Jacobi, which I thought was interesting because it looks like it may have been made to distribute to the troops of RIR 61. Otherwise, why would such a labeled card be made of a field grade officer? In reading through the actions of the regiment, I cannot see anything of particular note.

The Ehrenrangliste shows only one Major v. Jacobi, but no other real information. I have a 1911 Rangliste that shows two v.Jacobi majors, so I don't know which one he is. Any ideas?

Chip

Guest Rick Research

That's Johann von Jacobi, born in Berlin 19 July 1866 and ultimately charakterisiert Oberst aD.

He was promoted Oberstleutnant 22.3.18 Uu, so this dates before that

Sekondeleutnant 17.9.87

Premierleutnant

Hauptmann 27.1.02 D8d-- from Fusileer Regiment 36 to NCO Prep School J?lich in that year

then he settled down in Inf Rgt 24, quite unusually making promotion from captain to

Major 27.1.13 Z without transferring to another regiment.

He received the HHOX, gazetted 24 February 1917, so the photo predates that as well.

I've got one with the printed "autograph" (and nothing else) of a W?rttemberg regimental commander, so presumably these were either handed out as cheap souvenirs to the men, or sold at the PX to send messages home with a photo of The Old Man.

Guest Rick Research

Here's my similar photo:

It's an original photo print on the standard postcard backing, with printed "autograph" and title of Oberst Reinhold St?hmke, commander of W?rttemberg Infantry Regiment 125 from 1915 to 1918. The actual unit is filled in (by somebody) in ink. Strange.

Chip,

Alfred Johannes v. Jacobi:

He was originally commissioned as plain Sekonde-Lieutenant Jacobi. He was enobled on the 4 September 1888 as a result of his father's raising to the hereditary nobilty on that date (Wirklicher Geheimer Rat Karl Rudolf v. Jacobi, State Secretary in the Reich Treasury).

Premier-Lieutenant: 12.9.94 V6v

18.10.04: Transfered to Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 24 as company commander of 4./I.R. 24

27.01.13: Promoted to supernumary Major and assigned to the Regimental Staff

Regards

Glenn

Chip,

in the original German "?berz?hlig". Basically although promoted to the substantive (Patentiert) rank of Major he was filling an unestablished or supernumary post and was therefore still paid as an Hauptmann. If an officer fulfilled the necessary requirements in terms of qualification and seniority amongst his peer group but an established post was unavailable in which to substantively promote him, he could be promoted to the higher rank as a supernumerary, usually on the unit staff until an established post became available. The officer concerned received a patent of promotion but continued to receive the remuneration of the lower rank until assuming an established post.

Regards

Glenn