News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Upham's VC and bar

I, too, am glad that it has a permanent public home.

And not with Lord Ashcan?

I do find it odd that the IWM bought something for display in NZ. When they can't maintain and expand their own collections!

And not with Lord Ashcan?

Ashcroft offered the family a great deal more but the NZ Government would not santion the medals leaving New Zealand. An arrangement was then reached with the IWM that satisfied Upham's three daughters and allowed his medals to remain on display in the Waiouru Army Museum where they had previously been on loan since their father's death. In perpetuity in this case means for 999 years.

The VC group of the great NZ sniper Clive Hulme who the PC Brigade said last year should have been arrested for war crimes! He ventured into enemy territory and accounted for 33 German snipers in eight days on Crete whilst dressed in enemy camouflage.

I think the medals have been remounted instead of leaving them on the original ribbons,

this becomes quite clear from the war medal, as this one has no MID-leaves on it's ribbon....

But both groups are very very nice!

Kind regards,

Jacky

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

It's also interesting that the Greek War Medal is the later version with the king's head replaced by the Victory of Samothrace.

Hallo Michael :beer:

It states in "GREEK MEDALS by GEORGE STRATOUDAKIS"

ISBN:960-91397-2-8.

Page 106: 128 Commemorative MEDAL of the WAR of 1940-41 (Army), II Type.

In 1983 because of the political change, it was decided that the medal was to be replaced by a new form of Medal.

The Crown and the head of King George II on the obverse was replaced by "NIKE of Samothrace."

Kevin in Deva :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

The VC group of the great NZ sniper Clive Hulme who the PC Brigade said last year should have been arrested for war crimes! He ventured into enemy territory and accounted for 33 German snipers in eight days on Crete whilst dressed in enemy camouflage.

Sneeky bugger. :cheeky:

Well if he didn't get caught then good on him, after all it was a very effective cam pattern. Russian snipers and marksmen sometimes used German camouflage, despite the obvious dangers of being captured and shot, which was usually the end result for snipers anyway, or being shot by your own troops by mistake.

Regards;

Johnsy

• 6 months later...

Gentlemen, as you are doubt aware, all of these VCs and GCs were stolen in the raid at the weekend.

The police have announced tonight that they are following strong leads so there is hope yet that the medals will be recovered.

I will keep you posted of any developments in that direction.

• 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...