News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 4 weeks later...

Gents,

While this may look like a bar for an under achiever that does not necessarily follow. It could represent only part of the awards worn by one individual. It could well be the lower bar for a larger set with more awards worn above it. Always nice to see a ribbon bar preserved and added to a collection.

Regards,

Gordon

Ulsterman,

The only time awards were restructed to four was when you were wearing a shirt and no tunic. Then only four ribbons could be worn on your ribbon bar. At different times the number of awards worn on one bar changed from a maximum of four to a maximum of six. Also, how multiple awards were worn also changed over the course of the DDR. I have that all written up some where and if I can find it I'll post it here. Not sure that I have a soft copy with me. Getting ready for family company to arrive on Friday but will try and find time to post something on the regs on wearing awards on medal bars tomorrow.

Cheers,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi,

it is difficult to explain here.

In German we say: "Im Prinzip ja, aber..." (In principle yes, but...)

4 awards in a row is correct.

Only 4 awards in one row, the highest, and not more than 4, is for the "Gro?er Gesellschaftsanzug"", the uniform with the aiguillette.

For the parade are allowed 8 awards in two rows, original awards.

As "Interimsspange" you can wear more, but only 4 in a row, maximal 4 rows.

And now, but...

The "Minister der Nationalen Verteidigung" can allow some more :D

Here you can see the VVO (Gold) on top, and 12 awards in two rows.

It is a Generalleutnant, commander of an officers school.

In my collection are 4 bars of this General, only 4 awards in a row, the awarded originals!

Regards

Uwe

Gents,

SPEEDYTOP has done a great job in reducing a complex subject to a few words. A lot less words than it would take me. To add to his description and to some of my own comments lets look at some regs over the years of the DDR.

The following drawings are based on regulations as printed in DV 010/0/005. These drawings do not hold true for all forms of dress in that specific period. I am trying to indicate what was probably the most awards worn in any single row of a medal bar and how it changed over time.

Lest start with the 50s;

Edited by Gordon Craig

Now lets leap ahead to the 80s which is the era that most collectors are familiar with. At least as far as pictures of awards being worn goes. This drawing points out what UWE said re the Gesellschaft in wear on parade. It also shows how the IS would have been worn with this uniform.

Edited by Gordon Craig