News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Medals and Medalbars

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 07:54, Sampo said:

And one more Dutch army bar with service in Lebanon, former Yugoslavia and the Gulf war 1991.

medal bar gulf war.jpg

What an amazing variation of awards.  I like the combination of US Joint Service awards.  Very attractive bars everyone.

• 4 months later...
    • 3 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    On 23/11/2020 at 19:39, saxcob said:

The medal bar of a servant to Queen Emma who literally served her until the end.

P1050725a.JPG

a.jpg

Do you have a name of the original owner?

The Swedish Vasa-order is very rare with very few awarded. 

On 19/01/2021 at 13:23, BlackcowboyBS said:

wow this one is a great medal bar and with the merit cross 1.class it should be possible to help to identify the owner. There can't be that many Swedish people who received it. If you have names I can check if they got the Brunswick merit cross 1st class

I don't have a complete list of receivers of the Vasa order yet. I'm still struggling with the order of the Sword. 
    Right now my list of Vasa-merit crosses only have 21 persons in it. None of which is Dutch. 

The Vasa merit cross is the rarest of all Swedish orders.

On 24/01/2021 at 03:33, 922F said:

Buitendijk likely served in or had strong connection to Africa.  Have you any details on his career?

Sadly no information about mr. Buitendijk.

This set belongs to an Infantry officer who fought in May 1940 with 8th Infantry Regiment at the Grebbeberg, was a prisoner in Germany in WW2, and received an Officer in the Order of Orange Nassau with the swords a few months prior to his retirement. 

55-1.jpg

Thank you Herman -- was so excited to see the African related Orders on Mr. Buitendijkn's bar that my question about it was not couched in the best possible language.  I apologize for what appears to be a very abrupt question.   

His Liberian African Redemption Order knight seems to be on a St. Olav ribbon--perhaps another example of the tailor making do with what was on hand...

On 19/01/2021 at 13:03, JohanH said:

Do you have a name of the original owner?

Yes, his name was Lodder.

On 19/01/2021 at 13:23, BlackcowboyBS said:

There can't be that many swedish people who recieved it.

He was Dutch.

On 23/01/2021 at 11:49, JohanH said:

I don't have a complete list of receivers of the Vasa order yet. Right now my list of Vasa-merit crosses only have 21 persons in it. None of which is Dutch. The Vasa merit cross is the rarest of all Swedish orders.

Very interesting indeed. Please let me know should you advance in your respective research. I understand that the merit cross ("Vasatecknet") was only awarded to foreigners.

Edited by saxcob

Thanks!

Now I have 22 names. 

When I'm done with the swedish medal rolls I will present the total number of awards in a topic in the forum. 

On 23/01/2021 at 22:18, Herman said:

I found this one with a Swedish Vasa order. This one is identified to Johan Willem Buitendijk.

Johan Willem Buitendijk-1.jpg

Very nice medalbar. 

The order of Vasa knight II class is scarce, but not near as rare as the merit cross (without enamel). 

Edited by JohanH

2 hours ago, JohanH said:

The order of Vasa knight II class is scarce, but not near as rare as the merit cross (without enamel). 

I was not aware of the rarity. There is aculally one currently for sale at a price of about 1.500 Euros.

1 hour ago, BlackcowboyBS said:

Ah, the Kgl. Niederländische Haushofmeister Lodder recieved his merit cross 1. class on 9th of may 1911 in Haag. 

Thanks!