News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dutch Medals and Medalbars

I received this beauty yesterday, it's the model from before the '70s. I was wondering if we could perhaps attribute it a maker and a more precise date of manufacture? I was thinking maybe made between the thirties and the fifties? It's a fine piece and the lion is almost as elaborately made as the lion on the Bavarian MVO4x I own.

Kind regards, Laurentius

b552eb0e-52bc-4a3f-b91f-26842db42cf6.jpeg

8e4584b1-362e-4124-8f92-495dbd8832a3.jpeg

21 minutes ago, JohanH said:

I don't know if it is of any help to you but the Oranje-Nassau order was awarded on May 27th 1963 according to it's document. 

Very nice, sadly (for me, not for you) yours is an Officer's cross whilst mine is a knight's cross. Yours also has a somewhat different lion and your wreath is a bit bushier. I appreciate the help.

Kind regards, Laurentius

23 hours ago, laurentius said:

I received this beauty yesterday, it's the model from before the '70s. I was wondering if we could perhaps attribute it a maker and a more precise date of manufacture? I was thinking maybe made between the thirties and the fifties? It's a fine piece and the lion is almost as elaborately made as the lion on the Bavarian MVO4x I own.

Kind regards, Laurentius

b552eb0e-52bc-4a3f-b91f-26842db42cf6.jpeg

8e4584b1-362e-4124-8f92-495dbd8832a3.jpeg

Laurentius, the cross will probably be marked with a silver mark (a sword) and a makers mark. In the seventies Koninklijke Begeer is a likely candidate. 

Regards 

Herman 

15 hours ago, Herman said:

silver mark (a sword)

I have checked and there is no mark. The ribbon can't be removed (it's sown together with a small pin). The text on the back reads 'zy' and not 'zij' which was changed 1973 (if I'm not mistaken).

Kind regards, Laurentius

On 24/01/2021 at 03:33, 922F said:

Buitendijk likely served in or had strong connection to Africa.  Have you any details on his career?

I found some newspaper articles about a J.W. Buitendijk. In the sixties he was a police officer and a judge.

No connection with Africa unfortunately. The clippings are in Dutch. ☺

KBPERS01_002843031_mpeg21_p00005_image.jpg-1.jpg

ddd_010617969_mpeg21_p004_image.jpg-1.jpg

KBPERS01_003300037_mpeg21_p00021_image.jpg-1.jpg

Thank you for this information...perhaps his foreign awards resulted from coordinating investigations or teaching criminal justice matters or other international police cooperation matters.   NCB Netherlands' history reveals much involvement in such matters.   

Johan Willem Buitendijk received the Swedish order of Vasa knight 2nd class on April 28th 1955 as a captain of police. 

A total of 1470 2nd class knight crosses was awarded between it's institution 1889 to it's cancellation in 1974. 
    Of these 1470 crosses, 68 was received by Dutch nationals. 

• 4 weeks later...
    • 10 months later...

Here's a nice modern group.

Dutch 9 Obv.jpeg

On 30/12/2009 at 06:46, Herman said:

and a more modern one !

post-8267-1262180765.jpg

I really like the modern Dutch bars.  Would you mind telling what each medal is in order from right to left?  Thanks!

Edited by azyeoman

from right to left.

EU Defense & Security Operations Service Medal.

NATO Medal Kosovo.

NATO Medal Former Yugoslavia.

UN Mali MINUSMA medal.

Dutch Army Medal.

Medal for Long service and Dedication.

Dutch Kosovo Medal.

Remembrance medal for Peace Operation with 2 Batons. 

1 EU Operations

2 UN Operations

Remembrance Medal for Multinational Peacekeeping Operations. 

For 2 Missions.

p.s. The other medal bar is older.

left medal is for lebanon wich was in 1979-1983

• 2 weeks later...
    On 24/01/2022 at 23:55, azyeoman said:

Here's a nice modern group.

Dutch 9 Obv.jpeg

I really like the modern Dutch bars.  Would you mind telling what each medal is in order from right to left?  Thanks!

Hello, yes this grouping seems fine, but be aware: from left to right the medal number 1,2,3,5 and 6 are copies for sure, the others might be originals! But a very possible group.

Sampo

Experience and seeing hundreds of correct medal sets. 

And studying the 100 % original issued medals.

This gives you the feel and eye to pick out the copies and fakes. 

To be frank, it is sometimes a puzzle why some normal inexpensive Dutch medals are copied. 

Regards 

Herman 

• 11 months later...
    2 hours ago, Schiavona13 said:

Hey Guys ,

A set I recently got from the son of the sailer 

Set Groen.jpg

image3.jpg

Hi Schiavona13,

are you sure with sailor, he is wearing the badge from the 2nd US Infantry Division Indianhead

on his arm?!

Kind regards

Andreas

Your correct 

3 hours ago, dedehansen said:

Hi Schiavona13,

are you sure with sailor, he is wearing the badge from the 2nd US Infantry Division Indianhead

on his arm?!

Kind regards

Andreas

Your correct its a indian head ,  but the Dutch veteran association for Korea uses that sort or less as there emblem so the naval veterans use that to ( sort of miss use ) for that reason , He was in the 7th. US Fleet ans served on the Hr. Ms. torpedobootjager Evertsen and in Korean waters from  7 july 1950 to 18 april 1951.

Hi,

wonderful bars!

To the bar with the "Honorary Medal for Charitable Assistance/Erepenning voor Menslievend Hulpbetoon " in first place: "Unfortunately I forgot to write down his name."

Usually on the reverse of the original (high ranked) medal is engraved the name of the recipient!

Uwe

Niederlande Medaille für humanitäre Hilfe Bronze .jpg

3 hours ago, Schiavona13 said:

Your correct 

Your correct its a indian head ,  but the Dutch veteran association for Korea uses that sort or less as there emblem so the naval veterans use that to ( sort of miss use ) for that reason , He was in the 7th. US Fleet ans served on the Hr. Ms. torpedobootjager Evertsen and in Korean waters from  7 july 1950 to 18 april 1951.

Thank you for the explanation, I didn't know that.

Kind regards

Andreas

• 6 months later...
    On 29/01/2021 at 15:25, JohanH said:

Thanks!

Now I have 22 names. 

When I'm done with the swedish medal rolls I will present the total number of awards in a topic in the forum. 

Did you happen to complete the list in the meantime?

5 minutes ago, saxcob said:

Did you happen to complete the list in the meantime?

Hello!

Unfortunately no, I have been working on the list of recipients of the Swedish Order of the Sword. 

But I own two pieces of Vasatecknet. One with a rosette for a female recipient.