News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zimbabwe/Rhodesia B.S.A.P. Group

Hello,

I wanna show you the medal group to Const/Sgt. J.M. Masoli B.S.A.P..

The medals were bought in a local shop in Harare on my trip 15 years ago.

After returning to Germany I sent them to Spink & Son for court mounting.

The mounting was much more expensive than the whole medal group :speechless: , but the result is a good one!

The Group:

- Zimbabwe Independence Medal (No. 01575)

- Zimbabwe 10 year Service Medal (19183 SGT J.M. Masoli)

- Rhodesia GSM (19183 CONST Masoli)

Nice group and a very low number on your Zimbabwe Independence Medal. Mine is 69441. If you went there today that would would have cost you at least $1,000,000,000 Zim dollars or 35 cents US.

I have a friend whos mother still lives there he says it is cheaper to use $100 zim bills as toilet paper than buying a roll.

Steiner

Indeed a very low number.

It would be interesting to know, after which system these medals were awarded.

And you`re right - Mugabe has ruined this fine country; it is a shame !!!!!!!

No other BSAP or Zimbabwe ODM around ???

greetings

eitze

I have no more Zim ODM but I have acouple of neat things.

recording called Green leader in which the Rodesian force jump the boarder to Monzambique shut down the airport and take out a terrorist camp. Interesting listen.

A propoganda booklet on the terrorist crimes commited in Rodesia in the 60 and 70's really graphics stuff.

I work with a gentlemen who has the Rodesian flag that hung at one of the camps. At sunset on the last day of Rodesia he was told to take it down. He did and then took it home. It is now in Canada. Need to ask him for pictures.

I also understand on the last day of the Rodesian Army the officers opened up the armoury and told the boys they could take home all the guns thy wanted to. An interesting fact.

Steiner

I`ve had also a small collection of Rhodesian UDI medals, including the Bronze Cross group to T./CPL Noel Ross-Johnson, 6. Rhodesia Regiment. It was awarded 01.07.1977 and gazetted on 29.07.1977.

But all, beside some Rh. GSM, sold - you can`t collect all :unsure:

greetings

eitze

I would like to see the other group also if you get a chance to post it. I really like the group you got Spinks to mount also they did a wonderful job. They should for that price LOL.

Steiner

Yeah, Spink does a good, if VERY expensive, job of mounting. You were lucky that they (1) got the order right and (2) didn't flip the ribbons that are not palindromes! My experience on these two fronts has been way less than successful or satisfactory. They don't know, won't ask, and can't be told. They are Spink.

Thanks for the advice Ed. I liked that mounting so much I was considering having Spinks do my Greatgrandfather's WW1 group. Now I will reconsider.

Regards

Steiner

For normal British stuff, thee are good, if you start saving far enough (decades?) in advance. I am surprised they are so good at southern Artican medals, for they make a dog's dinner out of southern Asian ones.

See, for example

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=17

For normal British stuff, thee are good, if you start saving far enough (decades?) in advance. I am surprised they are so good at southern Artican medals, for they make a dog's dinner out of southern Asian ones.

See, for example

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2450&st=17

Interesting my group would be a 14-15 star, BWM, and VM. Hard to screw up that group.

Do you have a ballpark figure on how much that would be? Sound like it maybe 100 GBP +. Ouch.

Steiner

Interesting my group would be a 14-15 star, BWM, and VM. Hard to screw up that group.

Do you have a ballpark figure on how much that would be? Sound like it maybe 100 GBP +. Ouch.

Steiner

I doubt if even Spink could mess those up.

I can't recall how much it was, but it hurt. As Eitze said, substantially more than the group!

You may want to try to find real period ribbon for them to use, as they'd use nasty modern ugly stuff. For the WWI medals, it really matters!

Dear Gentlemen.

as a good old "Preu?ischer Beamte" I keep all my invoices :rolleyes:

I put numbered stickers on all medals and ribbons, which also marked the avers of the decoration. It must have been a good instruction - nothing went wrong :cheers:

By the way - all medals were cleaned and laquered, not only mounted. So I think it was a fair price. But beware, this invoice is 16 years old. It could be muuuch more today.

greetings

eitze

If you ever need medals mounted again. Let me know, I have a contact with a military tailor who works for the Regiment of Guards, he will get you things mounted just as professionally for a lot less !!!!!!!!!