News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello gentlemen,

rumour has it that

The other very seldom mentioned British award to Belgians is the British War Medal, approximately 4,300 of which were awarded for services to the Allied cause. They are fully described in one of the registers for the BWM kept by the British National Archives at Kew

Two questions:

A: Can anyone confirm that this "register" for "foreign" BWM's exists?

B: Is anyone going to Kew shortly who would consider looking up one single name of a Balgian to verify the BWM? (I have located the BWM in a shop)

Thanks and cheers from Flanders?

Hello gentlemen,

rumour has it that .

Two questions:

A: Can anyone confirm that this "register" for "foreign" BWM's exists?

B: Is anyone going to Kew shortly who would consider looking up one single name of a Balgian to verify the BWM? (I have located the BWM in a shop)

Thanks and cheers from Flanders?

No need for all that.

These are Belgian Army

There are also over 3000 Belgian agents. Here is the search form. Just plug in the name. Downloading the card will cost you 3.50 sterling, but well worth it.

If I were you I'd buy the medal in any case for the rarity value.

Hello Michael

Thanks for the pointer. Didn't realise that these people might have a MIC as well. I already found the man, indeed as a Belgian agent. I already opened negotiations with the seller for the medal ;) Might order the MIC when I get the medal. Does anyone have an idea what might appear on a card for a "Belgian agent"? Seems to me the info would rather be small? Obviously no theatre of entry or such, so only the name and the BWM entitlement? Anybody knows?

Hello Michael

Thanks for the pointer. Didn't realise that these people might have a MIC as well. I already found the man, indeed as a Belgian agent. I already opened negotiations with the seller for the medal ;) Might order the MIC when I get the medal. Does anyone have an idea what might appear on a card for a "Belgian agent"? Seems to me the info would rather be small? Obviously no theatre of entry or such, so only the name and the BWM entitlement? Anybody knows?

Not so long ago (half a year, a year maybe), Chris Boonzaier posted a pic of the MIC to a Belgian agent. As far as I can remember it only gave her name and the medals.

I'll try doing a search to find it.

Tony

Dag Roel,

I own 2 of those medals for which I downloaded the MIC's. They were equally bare as the one Tony mentions.

Still, it would be worth the while to get the MIC, because I have heard, from a very reliable source, that some of these people also got some orders, so you never know.

Keep us informed

Jan

Hello everybody

Thanks for the link Tony. Next to the practical info being the MIC exemple it just was a funny and interesting topic to read :)

I'll keep you informed Jan, but negotiations for the price are still under way. Seller asking a bit too much to my taste.

Would anyone venture to put a value on a BWM to a Belgian agent, no research done, MIC exists but not downloaded yet?

cheers

I think Chris sold his one, it might be worth waiting till he has the chance to go online, that's if he can remember what it went for.

I'd be willing to pay a bit more than ?17 and I'm known by some in the collecting world as being tight.

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Goodevening gentlemen,

I discovered a whole list of names of Belgian subjects that were brought to notice for distinguished and gallant services and devotion during WWI (supplements to the London Gazette nrs 31551 and 31526 of Aug 26th 1919 and Sept 12th 1919) These people are divided in three parts: Volunteer Service Attached to the British Army in France (Section I), Volunteer Service attached to the British Army in france (Section II) and Volunteer Service Attached tot the British Army in France (C.O.A.)

Question: does anyone know what the difference is between those three groups?

Thank you very much

• 11 years later...