News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Baden/Austrian Bar Z?hringer L?wen Orden

1. Do you like the bar?

2. What besides the FJ Knights Cross could be in the third position?

3. What is the most likley combination?

4. Is a bar like this very uncommon?

Regards, Hardy

File0039-1.jpg

File0040-1.jpg

Edited by Naxos

Hello Naxos:

A nice bar that you have. The second position would most likely be a Baden Order of the Z?hringer Lion Knight 2nd Class with swords, and the third position would most likely be an Austrian War Merit Cross 3rd Class with war decoration. These are the awards that are most commonly found on these ribbon combinations (although other combinations are possible).

I believe that your fellow was a junior Officer.

Thank you for sharing this nice piece.

Best regards,

"SPM"

Edited by Schie?platzmeister

Hello again Naxos:

The wearer of this bar was definately a German and not an Austrian. So, most likely, he was a junior Officer from the Grand Duchy of Baden.

"SPM"

Is that because of the design of the bar?

Hardy

Correct, both the way the medalbar was made up with the prussian way (ribbons in U-shape) whereas the austrians had their ribbons trifolded.

I think that SPM is correct with the militar verdienst kruez (austrian war merit cross) Concerning the Iron cross etc, I would think that this war merit cross would be with war decoration.

It's the most common combination encountered.

Kind regards,

Jacky

If you don`t want to have Sascha jumped on you with some kind of artillerie ready for fire you should not say "Badenser"........ :P;) they really don`t like it to be called that way, say "Badener" that`s better..............

btw....... nice bar

Yes, a l l SPM said is absolutely right. Nice bar, but not too uncommon ... :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Hardy!!!! It`s you........... :rolleyes::D Then of course it`s ok, I think a Badener is allowed to talk this way about Badeners..... :D

Hmm, seems to be the same thing as with Coloured Persons who call thereselve "Niggers" ... ;)

Hello again everyone:

I'm sorry that I was not able to reply sooner. Everyone has exactly expressed the identical thoughts that I had as to why the bar is German.

The mounting is exclusively German in style. If the recipient was Austrian the ribbons would be tri-folded or furled (Bavarian fashion). Also, if an Austrian Officer who happened to receive an OZL, it would be mounted behind a good many other Austrian Orders and awards. It is rather common to see German groups with the Austrian War Merit Cross.

It should be easy to find the pieces to fit the bar in order to restore it if you so desire.

Best regards,

"SPM"

am I right in the assumption that the bar would be from an officer that served in Baden Regiment on the Serbian Front?

Hardy

Off the top of my head, I don't know of any Baden regiments that served on the Serbian front. The following Baden regiments served on the Galician and/or Romanian fronts, and may have worked with or under Austro-Hungarian commands:

Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 185, 208. Infanterie-Division (but only about 1 month on the Galician front)

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 40, 115. Infanterie-Division.

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 249, 75. Reserve-Division

Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 250, 75. Reserve-Division