News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

LC members personal document

Jacques

The members of the Legion Condor received a personal document named "Carnet Militar de Identidad". The picture is taken in civil clothes or LC uniform. The name is "spanished". The rank is spanish thus the unit.

Guest Rick Research

Was this card simply so Germans who could not speak Spanish would not be arrested/shot by Spanish sentries while wandering around, or did this "legally" make them members of the Nationalist armed forces?

I don't think "Geneva Convention" rules were observed by either side during the Civil War, were they? So this would not have "protected" a German captured by the Republican forces?

I tend to think that this card was related to the fact that the germans were not engaged as german Army. Before to be sent to Spain they were listened off the Army and sent in Spain as "tourists". All the incoming or outcoming troops were in civilian clothes. As they have no more German military individual documents, this one proved they pertained to the LC under the spanish Army control.

jacques

Was this card simply so Germans who could not speak Spanish would not be arrested/shot by Spanish sentries while wandering around, or did this "legally" make them members of the Nationalist armed forces?

I don't think "Geneva Convention" riules were observed by either side during the Civil War, were they? So this would not have "protected" a German captured by the Republican forces?

Yeah, Thats what I would have thought the Spanishizing of the names was all about too. They weren't allowed to be there officially as combatants any more than the Lincoln brigade or any of the foreign volunteers on the republican side were. They had to sneak in through France and then over the pyrenees.

Best, Sal

Jacques I would really like one of those if you see one that you can pass up let me know please!