News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

They are all indeed wonderful Paul...

Actually, most are PCs, but a few are greeting cards with a saying inside and/or on the reverse...

Dear Richie,

many thanks for the greeting cards :cheers: .

It's interesting to see, how often the OGPW is used, but also the Glory and some medals :D .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Dear Ed,

fantastic and 100 % typical (look at these plastic cups for drinking their vodka ;) ) photograph - many thanks :cheers: .

The awards, which we can see, of this old infantry-colonel are highly interesting:

FoN, Glory 3cl, 2 Valour, 1 Merit Medals + 1 Merit Medal for long service (10 years).

It seems, that the comrade had been a rather heroic NCO in the GPW, who made afterwards a fine career up to the rank of a Colonel.

But I am missing the Germany or Japan Medal ... :unsure:

On his right chest there might be a KGB-anniversary-badge ... :unsure:

I have never seen a FoN at the uniform of a GPW-veteran.

In the "world of uniforms" a FoN might be more often seen at the jackets of KGB or Aeroflot :unsure: .

Maybe he worked in (or for) the GRU (military secret service), sometime for the KGB (badge?) or he had a top-function in one of the numerous "Friendship-Societies", as i.e.: Soviet - Austrian Society, Soviet - Yugoslav Society, etc., etc.

Ed, what's your expertise about the Colonel's awards?

Christian

Yes, but more to the point . . . !!

:beer:

Edited by Christian Zulus

Christian, the small boy is my son Aleksandr in a bezkozirka. And that colonel is in MVD uniform, maybe an NKVD internal security veteran or ex border guard who went on into the militia after the war??

Here's Lukashenko greeting veterans yesterday in Minsk.

Edited by Belaruski

My daughter Milica at the Red Army Memorial in the city-center of Vienna

Dear Belaruski,

that's my daughter Milica spreading small flowers at our memorial in the center of Vienna :D .

More photographs of our outstanding & impressive memorial for the heros of the Red Army in Vienna you will find in Christophe's quiz-thread: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?s=&showtop...st&p=118809 .

BTW: The Republic of Austria HAS to keep all memorials of the Red Army in perfect condition :P .

Christian

Christian, the small boy is my son Aleksandr in a bezkozirka. And that colonel is in MVD uniform, maybe an NKVD internal security veteran or ex border guard who went on into the militia after the war??

Here's Lukashenko greeting veterans yesterday in Minsk.

I posted a Tbilisi Victory Day thread in The Lounge. Probably should have put it here. I hope you'll check it out.

I have quite a few of the patriotic postcards myself, probably enough for a small book. I like them a lot.

As an aside, I also have a large group of WW I POW letters home to Russia from one officer, plus his release papers, parole and related documents. I brought them back with me to Tbilisi to be included in a book that is being written here. That should be interesting.

Some members also enjoy Soviet stamps, as do I. I have a collection of GPW covers and cover art that once resided, I believe, in the old Tbilisi Museum of the Revolution. It's amazing what turns up if you look long enough.

At any rate, I enjoyed attending the Victory Day celebration here, watching it in Red Square on TV and reading about it on the forum.

CZ, your picture of Milica is perfect. I congratulate you.

Chuck

QUOTE(Chuck In Oregon @ May 11 2007, 02:08 )

CZ, your picture of Milica is perfect. I congratulate you.

Chuck

Agreed, a classic. Congratulations also.

Wild Card

Dear Chuck,

dear Wild Card,

many thanks for your congratulations :cheers: .

A patriotic education from the very beginning on is important :D .

The kids have a right to know, who have been the good guys in history and who have been the bad & evil guys in history :jumping: .

Christian

Dear Bryan,

many thanks for that really comprehensive link to GPW-photographs :cheers: .

Some of them are rather famous, but some of them I have seen the first time :love: .

I like the famous picture with the two sleeping soldiers + doggy in the middle very much :D . I have another doggy-picture in on of my books.

Christian