News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Looking for a list of: Generalfeldmarschall August von Mackensen,

• Replies 70
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bonjour,

Very good, thanks Andres for pics.

http://home.comcast.net/~jcviser/aok/mackensen.htm

http://uhlan.perso.libertysurf.fr/UHLAN_2000-archive/french/mackensen.html (in French)

On the medalbar, we realize 6 medals (second photo - Andres's source) :
    - 1870 EK-II,
    - ???,

- Preussische Offizier Dienstauszeichnung 1. klasse,

- Kriegsdenkmünze 1870-1871 mit 7 Spangen (Worth, Loigny-Poupry, Le Mans, Beaugency-Cravant, Sedan, Orléans, Beaumont - after studies of the various sites dealing with its war of 1870),

- ??? (maybe Austrian Order),

- Preusssische Kaiser Wilhelm Erinnerungsmedaille 1897.

Crdl

Thierry

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 years later...

Revisiting this old thread.  I am now trying to recreate this medal bar.  It shouldn't be hard but it is, because, as the thread disclosed, there are no clear pictures of his medal bar, which probably changed as he acquired more gongs.  

Anyone interested in taking another crack at this?  So far, only the 'bookends' seem accounted for: The 1870 EK2 and the Centenary Medal.  The portraits hint at a lot of things and he had a wide choice.  No Long Service?  No 1870-71 Campaign cross?  There's some weird medal, black or very dark ribbon with a complicated metal device on a ribbon bar. Can't place it.

BTW, I'm not after his very late medal bar, already posted in this forum here:

Edited by filfoster

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 01:06, filfoster said:

BTW, I'm not after his very late medal bar, already posted in this forum here:

I believe that medal bar belonged to his son, Dr. Hans Georg von Mackensen.

2 hours ago, P.F. said:

I believe that medal bar belonged to his son, Dr. Hans Georg von Mackensen.

That is correct... the thread was mine. ;) I'd love to have also his father's bar! GFM and PLM Träger mi Eichelaub!!!!

Cheers,

C

Edited by Claudio
    smtg added

Sorry for my confusion!  Still, we are now at the same place: A six or seven medal bar and only the beginning and the end accounted for.  Some hints at some of the medals: one near the end looks like a Turkish medal, the Order of Osmanie.  Someone must be able to get a sharper focus on these photos. Would that foreign medal come before the Prussian Centenary?  Wouldn't think so but.....

Edited by filfoster
    content

EK2/Long Service/SW Afrika ??-how did he get that?/1870-71/?Saxe-Weimar White Eagle?/Centenary

This seems to not follow the precedence rules.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2014 at 13:11, AndresT said:

Generalfeldmarschall Mackensen. Kunstdruck, fertig eingerahmt..png

Edited by filfoster

38 minutes ago, filfoster said:

EK2/Long Service/SW Afrika ??-how did he get that?/1870-71/?Saxon White Eagle?/Centenary

This seems to not follow the precedence rules.

Hello;

If you look closer, I think you will see that #2 is actually the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz fur kombattanten.  In that light, the precedence rules are properly followed. 

Thank you.  It's still a very odd assortment of medals, considering what he could have chosen to wear. And how did he get the Southwest Africa gong?  Accompanying the Kaiser as ADC?

9 minutes ago, Claudius said:

Hello;

If you look closer, I think you will see that #2 is actually the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz fur kombattanten.  In that light, the precedence rules are properly followed. 

Isn't that medal often smaller?  Could this be a Mecklenburg Military Cross of Merit?  Also a strange choice to wear in preference to others he was entitled to.

I enlarged this one and it looks like:

EK2/War Service Cross/ ? / 1870-71 medal with many clasps/ Turkish Osmanie ?/ Centenary

Depending on what the 3rd place medal is, it's still an odd display because of the next to last medal.

post-119-1176584828.jpg

19 minutes ago, filfoster said:

Thank you.  It's still a very odd assortment of medals, considering what he could have chosen to wear. And how did he get the Southwest Africa gong?  Accompanying the Kaiser as ADC?

Not too odd.  The regs on the steel, non-combantant SW medal have that it could be earned for being involved in the preparations to dispatch to the SW colony.  Just by the fact of his rank and having to approve orders to move or supply SW troops could be enough.

Isn't that medal often smaller?  Could this be a Mecklenburg Military Cross of Merit? 

The ribbon color doesn't appear to be a match.

Also a strange choice to wear in preference to others he was entitled to.

He could wear a large assortment of medals, but perhaps he wanted to show his WWI-merit awards upfront.

The second medal is the 1934 Honour Cross.

The second to last medal is the Jerusalem Cross.

Jerusalem_Cross_1.jpg

The third medal in the photograph (cross) is the Prussian Long Service Cross.

• 2 weeks later...
    On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 11:40, P.F. said:

The second medal is the 1934 Honour Cross.

The second to last medal is the Jerusalem Cross.

Jerusalem_Cross_1.jpg

The third medal in the photograph (cross) is the Prussian Long Service Cross.

I know the Kaiser was, at one time, hot de trot for this decoration. I remember reading somewhere that he insisted on its wearing by many officers to whom it had been awarded. Still an odd medal to choose.

Your suggestion about the #2 medal may be correct; can't tell from the photos I see. 

• 2 weeks later...

Claudius suggests:

"Hello;

If you look closer, I think you will see that #2 is actually the Braunschweig Kriegsverdienstkreuz fur kombattanten.  In that light, the precedence rules are properly followed. "

I agree the Braunschweig medal conforms to the photo appearance but the 1915 Order of precedence would allow the #2 placement only if the officer wore a non-Prussian cockade. Mackensen was in Prussian  service so wouldn't this violate the precedence?  By the 1915 regulations that Braunschweig medal would go after the Centenary medal.

•  

If I make the wartime medal bar, even though I can't find a photo, I'd do this:

1.1870 EK2/

2. 25 yr Long Service/ (alternatively, the 1916 War Service cross would also work);

3.1870-71 medal with clasps/

4.Jerusalem medal/

5. Centenary medal

Edited by filfoster

• 4 weeks later...
    On 14/08/2018 at 05:15, filfoster said:

I know the Kaiser was, at one time, hot de trot for this decoration. I remember reading somewhere that he insisted on its wearing by many officers to whom it had been awarded. Still an odd medal to choose.

Your suggestion about the #2 medal may be correct; can't tell from the photos I see. 

1478977946_psb(5).thumb.jpg.df2773838b2c4c69a2b53f9bd8920ef8.jpg

Give you a clear picture of someone else

• 6 months later...
    On 13/05/2007 at 14:59, Alex K said:

Good question. In some private undisclosed collection I bet !

Alex

If I remember correctly his batton (and Interimsstab???) is in the Wehrgeschichtliches Museum Rastatt, would be interesting if someone knows where the rest is...

Mackensen in Hungary:

https://youtu.be/6aVoTtTBuBA

Don't know if this was at the same time as the video:

Ãhnliches Foto

• 1 year later...