News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian in the German Army - Can anyone help with more info?

Some 16 years ago when I'd visit Austria in the summers, I'd spend countless hours with a gentle old man. As I do not speak a word of German, my handy phrase book could not even come close to helping me understand the stories he was telling me about his time in the army. I did however, get some of his old WW2 items at the time as he was clearing out his celler ..... and long after his passing, another batch of items including his medals. I would like to find out more about ___________ and would really appreciate if anyone can help with this. I also am not sure of what some of the items are and would gladly hear what you have to say about them. German militaria is not my line and I keep these items only out of sentimental value.

I'll be posting the images slowly as a) I would like to give the forum time to help me with identification of items etc..... and b) I have yet to get pics of some more interesting items of his including his tunic, some photos of his.... and his belt and bayonet which are currently not at my home. You will see that it will turn out to be quite a large group of items.

Thanks for helping! It means a lot to me.

Jim.

Edited by JimZ

• Replies 91
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice-your man started his career as a "gunner" in the old pre Anschluss Austrian artillery. Apparently he got promoted to full Corporal.

Thanks... That's a start. Now some more bits and pieces that denote rank......

To start off.... I have a pair of collar lapels for what I believe is feldwebel in Flak Artillery...

And a single collar lapel missing its brother..... :(

I was under the impression that four gulls was Oberfeldwebel but should that come with the silver bullion thread around the edge?

I have 3 types of gulls.... these seem to be the aluminium type ones.... I'll post pics of the various ones in this group ......

And the loose gulls

3 types as follows: the first are hollow and some sort of metal prone to rusting. The second are a very inferior solid material that does not shine and goes a matt gray....I somehow suspect these to be wartime manufacture..... and the last are the solid aluminium ones that match the type shown in the previous post

First set of epualettes .... gold bullion and red piping. The second set will have silver bullion on the border....

Gold bullion and red piping....

Front

silver bullion and red piping.

Inside - Different material shows this is probably a mismatched pair. Any reason for the silver and gold threads on both sets??

Edited by JimZ

And now time for the medals......

I believe these to be War Merit Cross with Swords, 4 year Service in Armed forces and I am not sure what the Austrian medal is...... guess its also pre-anschluss and I would suppose it was not worn on the German uniform as this is not mounted on the ribbon bar..... of course an Austrian ribbon with those colours is the same as wearing an Austrian flag on a german uniform.... not desirible!

and....

The medal was in this paper packet but I am not sure it belonged there. Would medals be issued mounted or would these be mounted later? The court mounting on this medal is impeccable.

Again... this medal came in a paper packet with stamps. Somewhere along the line some green paint seems to have spoilt the ribbon. Court mounting on this medal is of a lower quality than the previous one.

2 artillery badges. Are these austrian or Germany army? Quality again appears to be very different between the two badges.

Obverse on top row... reverse on lower row

2 buttons... again, these seem to be artillery but I have no clue what they are and which army they belong to. My guess again is that these are Austrian.