News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Austrian in the German Army - Can anyone help with more info?

• Replies 91
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hallo Jim Z, :beer:

Some very nice items, I believe the Austrian medal is for service in the post ww2 Austrian Army.

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Now that is interesting as he was a POW towards the end of the war and after his release, I was always under the impression that he had left the army. That is why I believed the Austrian medal to be pre WW2 to date.

Jim :cheers:

As for rank....

We have "Kanonier" / "Bedienungs - Kanonier", "Vorm", "Unteroffizier" and "Waff. Oberrwm". We also have collar tabs for Feldwebel and Oberfeldwebel...... not sure about the epualettes. But what is the proper sequence?

We have I/s.A.R. Batterie 1 - Is that artillery? Can anyone tell me what happenned to that unit pre anschluss and once it was integrated into the german army?

I also have a few photos that need to be dug up from my files. I will also post these maybe someone can throw more info my way!

Now that is interesting as he was a POW towards the end of the war and after his release, I was always under the impression that he had left the army. That is why I believed the Austrian medal to be pre WW2 to date.

Hallo Jim Z :cheers:

you might be right with regards a pre WW2 Austrian or more correctly a post WW1 Austrian Military Service Medal, I dont have any Austrian Medal / Decoration books to hand here in Romania so I will do a scout on the net.

Maybe Ricky could make a comment.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

As a small deviation from the original topic, I would also love to find some info about Gefreiter Johann Tisch, 5./Gren Regt 849 (as at November 1943) and also if possible some information about his wife whose name I do not have but who was German and was supposedly attached to some German top brass.

A close up of the "stamp damage" has been posted in the preservation section: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=18349&hl=

Edited by JimZ

Very nice group of items,

Thanks! :cheers:

They mean alot to me and I'd really love to have more info about them. I'll try to get th erest of the stuff posted by next week.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I apologise for any delays in posting the uniforms and photos that I promised I would but these were boxed away many years ago and its easier saying that one will find them than actually finding them. My efforts to find and photograph them will be renewed. In the meantime if anyone else has some more info on the gentlemen in question please post.

Hi,

Based upon everything I see, it appears that this Austrian worked his way through the ranks to achieve the rank of Oberfeldwebel. The trade badges(crossed cannons) indicate that he was an armorer to a Hermann Goering Div unit. I look forward to seeing the uniforms as well!! :jumping:

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul - can you tell me more about Hermann Goering Div units?

Re the uniforms....I am ashamed not to have posted these yet! They are boxed away at my parents and I have not had the strngth or stamina to sift through around 8 or so large boxes to find the uniforms and photograph them.....and alas they are not on my database....!!!!

But rest assured I will at some stage or other manage to dig them up and post the pics. You'll be in for a nice surprise with the tunic.

• 6 months later...

Finally I have managed to get pics of some more stuff of the Oberfeldwebel  _______ material..... uniforms, belts, bayonet frogs and tassles.... Of course any further info you can throw my way will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by JimZ

Belt, bayonet frog, de-nazified Luftwaffe belt buckle and tassle. I believe that the tassle should denote some rank. Any help on this one please? Do these items throw any further light on my guy?

And now, the part I think many may find interesting..... the tunic. I am looking forward to your comments on this.

I would like to know ANY info you can throw my way on this. I gather its not a common material or colour. May I remind you that is probably the uniform that he walked away from the war with (I believe he was a POW of the allies in Italy for a while).

I gather its not a common colour (dark green) and I recall the cut fits some tunic pattern or other. It does not appear to ever have been grey or any other colour nor does it seem to have faded. In fact its in a rather excellent condition other than its storage which is regretful.

Edited by JimZ