News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Red Banner of Labour

The order of the Red banner of Labour is the second oldest order of the USSR...these medals are typical of the erosion of the prestige of the many Soviet awards (my opinion) as they became awarded by the thousand for far lesser acts.

Before the Great Patriotic war the award had only been issued 8000 times since its inception in 1928, by the end of the war, it still had only been awarded 30,000 times.

At the end of the USSSR it had however been awarded 1,260,000 times. These orders were still very well made which show the great enameling which the Russians were so good at.

So many variation, so little time

This is a a Type 2 (love to find a type 1) Screwbacks issued before the war.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

Yesterday I got this in Red Banner of Labour in. It?s a rarer variation of the last type (s/n 402.674).

Look at the hammer and sickle. Compare it with the second picture in post number 5. Normally the

hammer shaft is under the sickle. Here it is above, as on the earlier variations of the order.

Edited by Alfred

• 4 months later...

As Gerd has starded a thread on that "other" Red Banner, let me bump this one in an effort to encourage others to be added here.

Let me throw in a type 2, variety 2, 4935

Awarded to Maria Yakovlevna Oprishko teacher of Bobritskaya Incomplete Secondary School, Romny District, Sumy Region, Ukranian SSR. Awarded 1 June 1939, "For prominent successes in school and Soviet education of children in rural schools, for outstanding organization of education, and active participation in village social life".

See: http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2732

Talking of Red Banners of Labour remindes me why I got into Soviet Medals, it was first medal I bought. I just love symbolism of the large Hammer and Sickle and it was only ?10.00 (that was three years with its document)

I Currently own three of them,

1. A rather dubious Type 1 wich has been shown on the forum before.

2. Type 5 Variation 2 No. 287685

3. Type 6 Variation 1 No. 859019.

Does any body know why on the Type 6 the hammer goes under sickle and on all other variations the Hammer goes over the sickle?

Talking of Red Banners of Labour remindes me why I got into Soviet Medals, it was first medal I bought. I just love symbolism of the large Hammer and Sickle and it was only ?10.00 (that was three years with its document)

I Currently own three of them,

1. A rather dubious Type 1 wich has been shown on the forum before.

2. Type 5 Variation 2 No. 287685

3. Type 6 Variation 1 No. 859019.

Does any body know why on the Type 6 the hammer goes under sickle and on all other variations the Hammer goes over the sickle?

I guess, they just had to make new ones, as the stock was empty. A part of early Type 6 ORBL?s still have the old Hammer&Sickel.

Gerd

Here's a nice trio: Nikolai Anikee

1- Order of the Red Banner of Labor, type 3, variety 1 - 12167

2- Order of the Badge of Honor, type 3, variety 1 - 64744

3- [a medal we all know but whose Name I Shall Not Name, so as to forestall unGentlemanly behavior], type 2, variety 4 - unnumbred

Wonderful group, Ed. The Red Banner of Labor, is that a reissue? The serialnumer is still in the range of screwback-types.

Gerd

Yes, current theory is that it is a reissue. Not marked as a duplicate, but you are correct on the serial number range. The Research Master has my plea before him.

Best guess is something to do with military supply.

Guest Darrell

Here is my contribution (Type 3 Variation 2). Once again, purchased before the Evil One's :P told me the importance of Documents ... Documents !!!!

S/N # 89111

Obverse: