News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals for service in Iraq

• Replies 76
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

British General Service Medal 1968-to date...

clasps... Air Ops Iraq

Northern Iraq & Southern Turkey

Also Campaign Service Medal 1918-1968

Clasps...Iraq

Kurdistan

Naval GSM clasp Iraq

Edited by mariner

New Zealand Medal, for service in Iraq.

About this medal

This medal was instituted in 2004 to recognise New Zealand personnel (both military and non military) who have served in Iraq since 27 May 2003. The initial New Zealand Defence Force contribution consisted of two personnel who served with the United Nations Mine Action Service?s Mine Action Coordination Team based in Basrah. Military engineers and support personnel were subsequently deployed to Iraq under United Nations Resolution 1483, to work on humanitarian, rehabilitation and reconstruction projects.

The qualifying period for the medal starts from 27 May 2003 for mine clearance operations, and 17 September 2003 for service with the British led Multi-National Division in (Southeast) Iraq undertaking humanitarian, rehabilitation and reconstruction projects.

More than 120 New Zealand Defence Force personnel who have served in Iraq since 27 May 2003 have qualified for this medal. Further information on service by New Zealand personnel in Iraq can be found in the media statements listed below, on the Current Missions page of the NZDF website (see section 16), and on the Medals Listed by Campaign table.

Service by New Zealand personnel in Iraq prior to 27 May 2003 with the United Nations missions UNSCOM or UNMOVIC is recognised by the New Zealand General Service Medal 1994 (Clasp Iraq) and the United Nations Special Service Medal.

About the ribbon

The ribbon is comprised of stripes of black, light green, white, and red. These colours have been used as the basic colours of various Iraqi national flags since 1919. Red (blood), black (oppression), and white (shining future) have been used as the basis of Arabic liberation flags of a number of Arabic countries. Green alludes to the Islamic faith and hope. Black and white are also regarded as national colours of New Zealand.

Royal Warrant

The Royal Warrant for the New Zealand General Service Medal 2002 can be viewed here.

Medal Regulations

The Regulations for the New Zealand General Service Medal 2002 (Iraq 2003) can be viewed here.

Clasps and Bars

There are no clasps or bars for this medal.

Order of Wear

The position of this medal in the Order of Wear Table can be viewed here.

Media Statement concerning the NZGSM 2002 (Iraq 2003)

16 September 2004 - New Medals for Service in Iraq and Solomon Islands

Media statements concerning service by New Zealand personnel in Iraq:

23 September 2004 - Minister Congratulates NZ Defence Force Personnel on Reconstruction Work in Iraq

23 September 2004 - NZAID in Iraq

23 September 2004 - Defence Force Personnel Come Home from Iraq

9 March 2004 - Defence Force Personnel Return from Iraq

4 March 2004 - More Defence Personnel Head for Iraq

4 March 2004 - Iraqi Blast Officer back at Work

1 March 2004 - Helping Hands: Kiwis in Iraq

27 February 2004 - Iraq Charitable Freight

23 December 2003 - Kiwi Soldiers Bring Water to 200,000 in Iraq

11 August 2003 - NZDF Deployment to Iraq

11 August 2003 - Questions and Answers on the Iraq Deployment

9 June 2003 - Chief of Defence Forces Announces Deployment to Iraq

9 June 2003 - Government Assistance to Operation Enduring Freedom and Iraq

Here is another one....

Australian Service Medal

Ribbon: Black centre stripe edged green, with narrow yellow edge stripes and pale green edges.

Instituted: 13 September 1988.

Awarded: For service in peacekeeping but non-warlike operations.

Bars:

KOREA

IRAQ

And another.........

Australian Active Service Medal 1975- and clasps

This Medal was created in 1988 to recognise prescribed service in warlike operations.

The Medal is awarded with a clasp to denote the prescribed operation and subsequent awards of the Medal to the same person are made in the form of a further clasp to the Medal.

The reverse shows a stylised laurel wreath around the inscription For Active Service.

The colours of the ribbon are primarily variations of the Australian colours of green and gold with a central red stripe, which signifies active service, that is, the dangers faced in warlike situations. Photo www.cqms.com

The Governor-General has approved the following clasps as qualifying for the award of the Medal:

Balkans

ICAT

Somalia

Cambodia

Kuwait

Iraq

East Timor

Namibia

Vietnam 1975

That's an Army Achievement Medal (AAM) it is not specifically for service in Iraq. Here is the Army's criteria for this award:

The Army Achievement Medal is awarded to any member of the Armed Forces of the United States, or to any member of the Armed Forces of a friendly foreign nation, who while serving in any capacity with the Army in a non-combat area on or after 1 August 1981, distinguished himself/ herself by meritorious service or achievement of a lesser degree than required for award of the Army Commendation Medal. The Army Achievement Medal will not be awarded to General Officers.

Kevin

Another American Medal, which I`m told is for service in Iraq?

• 1 month later...

We are sort of mixing up here:

Gulf War I - Iran vs. Iraq

Gulf War II - U.S. and allies vs. Iraq

Gulf War III - U.S. and allies vs. Iraq

Will try to sort things out. I had begun getting a set of web pages together on the Gulf Wars (as I have some on the 1st-5th Afghan Wars), but when I found how freely m,y information was being stolen (and published) by others, I dropped the website idea. May put some of it up here, among friends, post-upgrade.

We are sort of mixing up here:

Gulf War I - Iran vs. Iraq

Gulf War II - U.S. and allies vs. Iraq

Gulf War III - U.S. and allies vs. Iraq

Will try to sort things out. I had begun getting a set of web pages together on the Gulf Wars (as I have some on the 1st-5th Afghan Wars), but when I found how freely m,y information was being stolen (and published) by others, I dropped the website idea. May put some of it up here, among friends, post-upgrade.

Hi Ed...

Is there anyway to "copy protect" your information? I know the "Collector's Guild", www.germanmilitaria.com , has found a way to prevent the copy of itmes from their website.

Best regards

Paul

BTW, I saw some of the medals on your website. Great job!

• 2 weeks later...

A nice example of the GSM clasp Iraq

Yes, a campaign in Iraq much like others: long, bloody, nasty, terror-filled. The oral history among Indian Army soldiers (most of the troops there) made it worse than France, or Gallipoli,. or Kut. Interesting. Reports from relatives who served in Iraq cut recruiting in the Punjab by 20% in the inter-war years.

• 3 months later...

:angry: Can`t get over the amount of Iraq Medals, that are currently/have been sold on Ebay, the market seems to be flooded with them. I wonder will this push the price of them down? I hope the Governament don`t decide to stop isseing campaign medals, because a small minority hold them in such little worth?

It also makes me wonder who these people are who are selling them, surely they must be reservists/TA or soldiers who left the army short after the campaign, given the fact that if your still serving then you`ll still need it? There was an article in Soldier Mag this month, commenting on this issue, I`d very much like to hear the views of soldiers/collectors on this subject!!! :speechless1:

I `ve also seen on a dealers list several of the new OSM, which were for sale for over a grand!!!!!!!! I wonder if the OSM for Afgan over time will come like the Ireland Medal, as this campaign seems to be dragging on with no end in sight? :rolleyes: