News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medals for service in Iraq

It also makes me wonder who these people are who are selling them, surely they must be reservists/TA or soldiers who left the army short after the campaign, given the fact that if your still serving then you`ll still need it? There was an article in Soldier Mag this month, commenting on this issue, I`d very much like to hear the views of soldiers/collectors on this subject!!! :speechless1:

BigJar

I remember (many many years ago) being in a store in Canada when a chap came in with two Falklands War medals. This was within 3-6 months of the end of the campaign, but each had a slip of paper stating that they'd been bought in Liverpool the week the Queen Mary docked there on her return from the South Atlantic. Both were named to Royal Marines.

I can't attest, obviously, to the truth of the stories but I do recall reading that within a very short time of the initial issue all replacements were being so marked before issue due to the distressingly high rate of "lost" medals among serving troops. I also recall that the prices were in the hundreds of dollars/pounds so even regulars may have succumbed to the temptation to earn some easy money!

Peter

• Replies 76
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Peter, that is a very interesting angle!!!! Just goes to show, that things haven`t changed much!!!! Interestingly, I wonder how true the notes with the medals, were as surely these medals wouldn`t have been issued during the voyage home!!!!! Can anyone add anything to this? :(

It is said that Irwin, Payne, and other "venerables" used to stand at the docks as returning Victorian RN ships came in. The men would be given their medals as ther started down the gangplank, the collectors would be waiting, cash in hand, at the bottom, and the sailors would have a fine old time on shore leave, now with more cash in hand.

Some things don't change?

I suppose the fun starts at the first dress inspection parade, and the Razzman whats to know why your not wearing your `gong`......"GET HIMMMM AWAY!!!!!!", as my old RSM used to shout!!!!

Can't quote chapter and verse, but there was one court martial of a recently discharged private soldier (Irish) for selling his gongs, in the mid 1860's I think. I recall being surprised because he can't have been the only one by a long shot!

The circumstantial detail, if memory serves, was that a serving sergeant bought them to sew on his second best tunic (no medal bars back then and few suspenders), someone noticed that Sergeant Smith was wearing Private O'Hooligan's group and, presumably decided to make an example of the ex-private: "This sort of offence is becoming entirely too common." Poor sod got hammered.

Plus ca change!

Can't quote chapter and verse, but there was one court martial of a recently discharged private soldier (Irish) for selling his gongs, in the mid 1860's I think. I recall being surprised because he can't have been the only one by a long shot!

The circumstantial detail, if memory serves, was that a serving sergeant bought them to sew on his second best tunic (no medal bars back then and few suspenders), someone noticed that Sergeant Smith was wearing Private O'Hooligan's group and, presumably decided to make an example of the ex-private: "This sort of offence is becoming entirely too common." Poor sod got hammered.

Plus ca change!

:( So run this buy me again? In 1860ish a Sgt bought a spare set of medals, for his spare uniform, on wearing them one day, someone of authority saw that they weren`t his medals, so took it upon himself to disapline the ex pte? How did they do that if he wasn`t serving any more, and how does your memory serve you? Are you 200 years old? Some sort of Connor McLeod, or something? I`m very confused?? Do tell!! :cheers:

Has anyone read this months medal news. in it there is an article about a parade to issue Iraq Medals to a unit, upon finishing the parade, they had to give the medals back, as they weren`t named to the soldiers in question, but to someone else, as there wasn`t enough medals to go round!!!

Why is it taking so long to issue these medals!!!!!

I was chatting with someone on ebay, who had been issued two medals, and was selling one. I`m still waiting for mine to be issued, that said it did take 2 years for my GSM NI to arrive, so I`m not holding my breath!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Definately a possible group as we did have some POW's, yet the mounting is incorrect. The correct manner of wear on a uniform would be three medals in the bottom row(POW Medal, Nation Defense Service Medal, and Iraqi Campaign medal) and the Bronze Star and Purple Heart would be on the top row

• 5 months later...

how does your memory serve you? Are you 200 years old? Some sort of Connor McLeod, or something? I`m very confused?? Do tell!! :cheers:

Peter serves in the 1812 Royal Newfoundland Regiment out of Penetanguishene Ontario. What most people don't know is that he's been there since 1812. :cheeky:

Edited by Michael Johnson

It is said that Irwin, Payne, and other "venerables" used to stand at the docks as returning Victorian RN ships came in. The men would be given their medals as ther started down the gangplank, the collectors would be waiting, cash in hand, at the bottom, and the sailors would have a fine old time on shore leave, now with more cash in hand.

Flogging medals is the reason that so many groups are found with First War medals and renamed South Africas, IGSMs, etc. When they were recalled from the Reserve, or had listed their previous service, they risked a charge of being "improperly dressed" if they didn't have at least the ribbons up.

My wife's grandfather had a name-erased trio up when he enlisted in the R.C.A.F. in the Second War. His step-mother had thrown his medals away!

Yes, we are well reminded that we need to talk about:

Slicing Iraq from the Ottoman Empire and the Iraqi Resistance (Gulf War 0?), 1919 (or earlier)-58

Iran vs. Iraq (Gulf War I), 1980-88

U.S. and allies vs. Iraq (Gulf War II), 1990-91

U.S. and allies vs. Iraq (Gulf War III), 2003-????

Do we need to put up separate postings on each and not confuse them?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Guest Darrell

Great stuf guys ....

Anyone have or know of someone (or dealer site) that is offering (Real - not copies etc) of either the Canadian or British Gulf War Medals?

Would appreciate the info. Thanks.

P.S. Maybe a PM would be best ;)

Great stuf guys ....

Anyone have or know of someone (or dealer site) that is offering (Real - not copies etc) of either the Canadian or British Gulf War Medals?

Would appreciate the info. Thanks.

P.S. Maybe a PM would be best ;)

:jumping: Theres loads on Ebay (British Op Telic type)

Guest Darrell

:jumping: Theres loads on Ebay (British Op Telic type)

Pardon my ignorance.

1. What are Op Telic type?

2. Are these official copies or original?

3. Got a link or two?

Thanks.

Pardon my ignorance.

3. Got a link or two?

Thanks.

Operation telic medals have only recently been presented, there are several phases 1 being the war phase and 2-4 are occupation. The first comes with a rosette. Telic 1 coat around ?200+ depending on corps or regiment. The others ?140+. Several have been sold on EBAY and tend tocome with issue box and are lazer engraved. There are also copies which should be marked a ssuch and cost ?30-40 depending on the dealer.

Darrell - sent PM - would advise avoiding e Bay on these, though most good dealers will have a few. Still quite rare on the market. Give it a few years, by which time everyone will have gotten one and we're into the second generation (like the "Northern Ireland" clasp).

Darrell - sent PM - would advise avoiding e Bay on these, though most good dealers will have a few. Still quite rare on the market. Give it a few years, by which time everyone will have gotten one and we're into the second generation (like the "Northern Ireland" clasp).

:angry: Some of us won`t forget!!

Operation telic medals have only recently been presented, there are several phases 1 being the war phase and 2-4 are occupation. The first comes with a rosette. Telic 1 coat around ?200+ depending on corps or regiment. The others ?140+. Several have been sold on EBAY and tend tocome with issue box and are lazer engraved. There are also copies which should be marked a ssuch and cost ?30-40 depending on the dealer.

I think 1 is refered to as the liberation?

As for 2-4 being the occupation I don`t think thats the correct term either, but as for what it should be refered to, I`m open to suggestions? As what about 5+? :(

Pardon my ignorance.

3. Got a link or two?

Thanks.

:jumping: I think you`ll be OK buying on Ebay, a lot of the medals for sale, are coming from the orignal soldiers themselves so you might get some photos or paperwork if not a bit of service history with them, if you ask. If I know a British soldier, extra beer money talks!!!!!!! :beer:

• 5 weeks later...