News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chivalric Orders - Medals of the Order of Malta

Six or seven grades altogether, this is the bronze medal. Issued by the Austro-Hungarian branch of the Malta Order - something to do with hospices or nursing...

This one has that odd, assymetrically-trimmed "front-line ribbon."

My guess is that this medal is probably a "spin-off" from the Orders themselves, much like the intention behind Prussian Red Eagle or Crown Order medals.

Here is a nice close-up of the obverse:

I find the ribbon intriguing. Can someone tell me if there is a connection between these, and the post-war Awaloff Crosses (which share the same ribbon)?

Reverse. Nice "oily" sheen!

I don't think there is any real connection other than Awaloff having created a self-styled "Sovereign Imperial Russian Chivalric Order of Malta" as the legitimizing authority behind his awards. I believe that he borrowed the ribbon of the established Order for his own purposes, if nothing else, to add a touch of legitimacy.

--Chris

Here's one example of what I am almost positive is the Awaloff on a ribbon bar:

Edited by landsknechte

This second one (not mine, lifted the pic from the net) has thinner edge stripes that more closely reflect those on your decoration. I've only seen one other example of the Malta Order, so I can't really say whether or not there was any appreciable variation in the ribbons that they came with. There may have been some slight variation on the existing stock of Malta Order ribbons that were utlitzed for the Alwaloff, or perhaps the 4x decoration used original ribbon, and my 2x used some later stock. Can't say with an certainty, though.

--Chris

Guest Rick Research

Hens have more teeth.

Created in 1916, on all black "peacetime" ribbon and the weird one sided stripe war services ribbon, this is the only one of any class I've ever seen.

I suspect the Bandmaster "Prince" must have gotten hold of some ribbon stock somehow and stolen it for his own purposes, figuring nobody would know what the heck it was really for. I have a length of this ribbon in German 25mm size which I presume was Avalovian rather than Malteser.

The ONLY ribbon bars I have ever seen with this ribbon on them as purported Malteser awards have all been Frankenstein parts frauds with incorrect Maltese Order Kleindekoration minis, completely unlike the higher grade "mermaid tail" crosses of these decorations.

My only German ribbon bar with this ribbon is almost certainly the Avaloff award rather than THIS wartime Austrian Malteser, just based on the simple lack of any of these being around!

[attachmentid=8265]

Yup... I'll second the hen's teeth comment. Looking closely at the photos that I had tucked away on my hard drive, I realized that the example that I had found (and saved the pics from wherever) was the exact same medal that you've got. The vaguely fingerprint-like pattern in the patina on the reverse gave it away.

--Chris

Yup...  I'll second the hen's teeth comment.  Looking closely at the photos that I had tucked away on my hard drive, I realized that the example that I had found (and saved the pics from wherever) was the exact same medal that you've got.  The vaguely fingerprint-like pattern in the patina on the reverse gave it away.

--Chris

You mean this one?

Another completely obscure, never before seen/handled award comes to light courtesy of "The Twins".... I always get a special thrill when I see something that I've never had the chance to paw over before floats to the surface!!

• 3 weeks later...
    • 1 year later...

SMOM would probably really belong to a forum dedicated to 'Orders of Chivalry. However, seeing that the major part of the history of the Order has revolved around the area of Rhodes/Malta/Italy, it probably remains more pertinent within this section.

A very brief history of the whereabouts of the Order, associated orders and its link to other self styled orders

The Order that is now known as the Sovereign Military Order of Malta (SMOM) was founded with the blessing of Rome and spent circa 250 years in the Kingdom of Jerusalem participating in the crusades. Following that, the Order spent some 220 years in Rhodes from whence it was 'exiled' by the Turkish Ottoman Empire. Following this Emperor Charles V of Spain (with Pope Clement VII's blessing) gave unto the Order the Island of Malta which they would rule for 270 years and in which they would fight in the battle known as the Great Siege of Malta during which they reprellled the Turkish attackers. Their powerful fleet would also depart the island some years later to take part in the Battle of Lepanto in 1571. The Order was again exiled in 1798 by Napoleon and would spend 36 years moving around Italy/Sicily until it would settle in Rome where it has been head quartered for the last 170 years.

Now this applies only for so long as we are speaking about the SMOM. Known originally as the Knights Hospitaller(s) and later (and in turn) as the Knights of St John of Jerusalem, the Knights of Rhodes, and finally the Knights of Malta which name they still retain today. There are indeed other Orders and "other Orders"

The Order (SMOM) recognises four others:

- the Order of St. John - Bailiwick of Brandenburg of St. John and Jerusalem (GERMAN)

- the Order of St. John of the Netherlands (DUTCH)

- the Order of St. John of Sweden (SWEDISH)

- the Venerable Order of St. John (BRITISH).

Each of these are non-catholic (unlike the original Order), and were founded later. They however share similar traditions and goals as the SMOM. Although recognised as valid orders and associated with the SMOM, they are not part of the SMOM itself.

There are many "other Orders" which use insignia and names similar to that of the SMOM and St. John. However, these are considered as 'self styled' orders which the Order and its four associated orders do not recognise as orders of St. John. In fact the SMOM goes so far as to recommend 'caution when considering proposals or appeals from organisations claiming to be the "Order of Malta" or the Order of Saint John'. Of course, these "other orders" do by far outnumber the original SMOM and the other four orders it recognises, sometimes causing great confusion when trying to figure out which orders, decorations, medals and insignia belong to which Order.