News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Small Grouping Attributed to Rear Admiral Neill D. Brantly

Funny how when you least expect it, something incredible happens. This grouping was found in a small Texas town at an antique shop. These items were recently bought by a dealer at an estate sale, and offered for a ridiculously low price at this shop. The only "bad" thing about the grouping is the attempt by the dealer to conceal the recepients name by employing a sharpie permanent marker on the original labels on the reverse of the boxes :angry: . Fortunantly, with the help of a magnifying glass, and a bright light - I easily deciphered the name of the recepient. I am currently trying to research this person, and with the help of a friend-have found the following so far:

Rear Admiral Neill D. Brantly, US Navy 1920-1950

Silver Star Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Bronze Star Medal

Born: July 8, 1897 Died: June 26, 1972

Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery, Plot: V, 0, 1163

US Naval Academy Graduate No. 5582, 1920

Commanded the Beach Yellow Harbor Control Unit during the assault on Cape Glouster in December, 1943

Commander of Special Services Vessels during the assault on Hollandia

Commanded Control Vessels with the Destroyer Screen DESRON 25 at Leyte Gulf

First, an overall shot.

What a shame I could not buy this set out of respect for the recently passed SVA....

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

Guest Rick Research

If he graduated from Annapolis in 1920, he would have begun courses there in 1916, so he would have earned the WW1 Victory Medal. :beer:

Maybe it was the family that blotted out the name. People are strange-- didn't care enough to keep these, but "embaarassed" to be selling them? :banger:

Not sure what you mean from the mis-typed last post. I've fixed the title spelling.

If he graduated from Annapolis in 1920, he would have begun courses there in 1916, so he would have earned the WW1 Victory Medal. :beer:

Maybe it was the family that blotted out the name. People are strange-- didn't care enough to keep these, but "embaarassed" to be selling them? :banger:

Not sure what you mean from the mis-typed last post. I've fixed the title spelling.

Thanks very much Rick. Very good news indeed about the WW I victory. I didn't realize that he would have been eligible while at Anapolis. Thank you for fixing the title, and I'l fix my hastily-written last post. ;)

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

• 3 weeks later...
    • 15 years later...

Brantley appears on the Rear Admiral retired list in the 1951 Register of Commissioned Officers with a retirement date of June 1950.  He appears in the USNA Alumni register with a retirement date of 1 Jun 1950.

The regulation codes cited in regard to his retirement in the 1951 Register were “C” and “O”.

C = Retired for age ineligibility for promotion, act of August 29, 1916, or for service ineligibility for selection for promotion. 

This means that Bratley was not eligible for lineal promotion to rear admiral based on age and/or time in grade as a captain.  His promotion to captain came on 20 Jun 1942.  By the time 1950 rolled around he had 30 years commissioned service and had been a captain for eight years.  Promotion to rear admiral at that time required 10 years’ time in grade as a captain.  Too many years’ service, not enough time in grade.  In 1950, his last year of active service, he was 69th in seniority on the captains’ list; there were 1807 captains.  Brantley retired 1 Jun 1950.

O= Placed or advanced, upon the retired list with the rank or next higher grade in recognition of having been specially commended for performance of duty in actual combat.

Having been awarded the Silver Star for performance of duty in combat, Brantley was eligible to apply for a retirement promotion to the next higher grade, in his case, rear admiral.  The promotion was concurrent with his retirement. These retirement promotions are what are known in the vernacular as “tombstone promotions.” No increase in his retirement pay, just a little extra prestige, the higher rank on one’s tombstone, and, of course, prior to that end, the all-important flag parking in front of the Navy Exchange.

Up until October 1959, Navy and Marine Corps officers, provided one had an appropriate combat decoration, could apply for, and be retired, at the next higher rank concurrent with their retirement. Brantley held the Silver Star, which was sufficient for the purpose of the regulation.

• 5 months later...

Phenomenal grouping. The Silver Star is the kicker for me…just beautiful and the Bronze Star in the short titled Navy case is great too. Great find…