Small Grouping Attributed to Rear Admiral Neill D. Brantly

Funny how when you least expect it, something incredible happens. This grouping was found in a small Texas town at an antique shop. These items were recently bought by a dealer at an estate sale, and offered for a ridiculously low price at this shop. The only "bad" thing about the grouping is the attempt by the dealer to conceal the recepients name by employing a sharpie permanent marker on the original labels on the reverse of the boxes :angry: . Fortunantly, with the help of a magnifying glass, and a bright light - I easily deciphered the name of the recepient. I am currently trying to research this person, and with the help of a friend-have found the following so far:

Rear Admiral Neill D. Brantly, US Navy 1920-1950

Silver Star Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Bronze Star Medal

Born: July 8, 1897 Died: June 26, 1972

Ft. Sam Houston National Cemetery, Plot: V, 0, 1163

US Naval Academy Graduate No. 5582, 1920

Commanded the Beach Yellow Harbor Control Unit during the assault on Cape Glouster in December, 1943

Commander of Special Services Vessels during the assault on Hollandia

Commanded Control Vessels with the Destroyer Screen DESRON 25 at Leyte Gulf

First, an overall shot.

What a shame I could not buy this set out of respect for the recently passed SVA....

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

If he graduated from Annapolis in 1920, he would have begun courses there in 1916, so he would have earned the WW1 Victory Medal. :beer:

Maybe it was the family that blotted out the name. People are strange-- didn't care enough to keep these, but "embaarassed" to be selling them? :banger:

Not sure what you mean from the mis-typed last post. I've fixed the title spelling.

If he graduated from Annapolis in 1920, he would have begun courses there in 1916, so he would have earned the WW1 Victory Medal. :beer:

Maybe it was the family that blotted out the name. People are strange-- didn't care enough to keep these, but "embaarassed" to be selling them? :banger:

Not sure what you mean from the mis-typed last post. I've fixed the title spelling.

Thanks very much Rick. Very good news indeed about the WW I victory. I didn't realize that he would have been eligible while at Anapolis. Thank you for fixing the title, and I'l fix my hastily-written last post. ;)

Edited by IMPERIAL QUEST

• 3 weeks later...