News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• Replies 55
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hallo Christophe :beer:

Seems like a fun place to have worked :speechless: NOT :speechless:

Boring Bland decoration and furniture, the best bit about the medal and insignia expostion is the display shelves :P

Kevin in Deva :cheers:

Yes, all this reflects fun and happiness... :rolleyes:

And the display shelves are not of the period... :rolleyes:

Cheers.

Ch.

Christophe,

Thanks for the pictures. I particularly liked the Urkunde to the MfS Kollectiv. Was the actual award and award box on the shelf as well? If so, and you have a picture of it, I would appreciate it if you would post the picture. These Kollectiv awards are rare and I have only seen a couple of the presentation cases. Be really nice to see this one for reference.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Thanks Gordon. :beer:

I believe the award has been presented in this doc / box. All I have seen is on the pic. Seems to me complete : medal + bar, doc / box, Urkunde.

Here is another pic.

Cheers.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection

Edited by Christophe

Christophe,

Thanks for the additional picture. I didn't scroll across the screen so I did not see the right hand side of the first picture you posted. It is different than other award boxes I have seen which were thicker and grey in colour.

Regards,

Gordon

Christophe,

Thanks for the additional picture. I didn't scroll across the screen so I did not see the right hand side of the first picture you posted. It is different than other award boxes I have seen which were thicker and grey in colour.

Regards,

Gordon

Ho Gordon,

Maybe it's time to change your screen for a 16/9 format... :rolleyes:

Cheers. :beer:

Ch.

Hi,

Gordon:

"It is different than other award boxes I have seen which were thicker and grey in colour."

You must differentiate between the box for the present for 25 years of service (grey and thick, 67 - 70mm) and the box for Kollektiv awards (red and thin, 22 - 26mm).

The grey box is allways the same. for NVA, for MfS, for civilians, and for generals.

For a Kollektiv I know 2 versions, the one shown here in the thread (may be the older version, 1973), and another one, where the medal is fixed on a small pillow (variations), but there is no red cover around the decoration. The award in my collection is from 1983, Verdienstmedaille der Grenztruppen.

Regards

Uwe

Edited by speedytop

Uwe,

Thanks for your input but I was not refereing to the grey box for the 25 year awards. I own a number of these 25 year award boxes. I have seen at least one award box to a Kollective that came in a large grey cover. Not a red one. Sorry that I can not post pictures of it. It is not on this computer.

Regards,

Gordon

• 4 years later...

These last years, this Stasi museum and its hosting building went under refurbishment. Meanwhile and until mid-January 2012, The "museum" part has been located in a small buiding facing this one "Haus 22", that used to be a building with meeting rooms and cafeteria...

The Museum has re-opened in "Haus 1".

Museum website : Stasimuseum Berlin - Forschungs- und Gedenkst�tte Normannenstra�e

There are some slight changes even if most of the spirit has been kept...

Here are a few comments and pics on what has (or not) changed in the Stasi museum... wink.gif

Globally speaking, not a lot of changes... But, I'm sure that what is shown today might not be the definitive version of the exhibition.

Why ?

First there is still some work around the building. Not all is finalized...

Second there are, in "Haus 1", less rooms open to the visitors. And inside these, there seems to be less items displayed...

And, for example, you don't have access anymore to the jail cell...

Third, in terms of facilities, they have created some new spaces for visitors, like, for example, several cafeteria... but in places where I doubt they will remain, at least according to the present formula...

Let's pics speak... biggrin.gif

Ch.

The building as it is nowadays. Not a lot of changes.

It is not visible on the pic, but on the pavement, they have drawn lines for parking, including coaches parking...

Ch.

Pic : © Christophe – ChR Collection

To be noticed : the Control Post (you could see it in my Pic #3 in my first post) is no more visible.

During the refurbishment, it was exhibited in "Haus 22", the place of the temporary exhibition. Maybe it is now being restorated ? I hope it will come back...

The Entrance Hall has been very well re-done, perfectly in the spirit of the past...

The Prisoner Transport vehicle (GTW) is still there.

Ch.

Exhibition rooms : less to be seen, obviously...

Very "clean" and "lean" exhibitions... More focused on objects than explanation and text... Quite different that it wasd in the past with a lot of panels (german style of exhibition).

But, when I went there, there seems that some rooms were not finished... Half a floor - of the 3 floors of the building where access is permitted - was closed to visitors.

Work still on progress...

I believe this is the first time they show in "Haus 1" the destroyed and teared paper files of the Stasi... See below...

Ch.

Erich Mielke's office and other work rooms :

Nothing really changed except some phones that have been mixed, compared to the previous exhibition... Nothing really significant. smile.gif

Except one thing : the death mask of Lenin that was on Mielke's desk is not here anymore. frown.gif

I asked why. I have been told it was under restoration. It should come back... Inshallah !!!

Another change : now you can find panels with bilingual captions (German + English).

Understanding German, I personaly preferred the "old" way of information : a small booklet with the complete translations of the captions and panels that were in German only... Today, unfortunately, not a lot of information available...

Ch.