News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal Barbatie si Credinta with swords

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only 8 medals awarded

Hall Igor, :beer:

must say I like the British Description for it, the literal Romanian translation to English is: For MANHOOD & LOYALTY!!! :speechless1:

RESCH was the maker in Bucharest, F. PAWLIC FEC the designer I believe.

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Awards of Sto. P.O. Henry Ernest Woodland , O.N. 297947 (Po.)

from HMS Onslow

Comanded for services in the Battle of Jutland (LG 29 Dec. 1916),

Russian st. George cross from H.M. Russian Imperator for Jutland (Admiralty Order # 24912 - 30.05.1918),

MID for services in action with enemy submarines (LG 13 Sept. 1918),

Romanian Distinguished Conduct medal First Class from H.M. King of Roumania

"for distinguished services rendered during the war" (LG 14 Mar. 1919)

post-343-1180471966.jpg

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: Since I very much doubt an English outfitter would have HAD the war ribbon for Mecklenburg-Schwerin's and Mecklenburg-Strelitz's WW1 crosses ( :speechless1: ) that last ribbon must, bizarrely enough, be for a pre-WW1 Mecklenburg Order of the Wend Crown!!!!

Same ribbon, and equally bizarre to be in an English outfitter's ribbon stock! :cheers:

:Cat-Scratch: Since I very much doubt an English outfitter would have HAD the war ribbon for Mecklenburg-Schwerin's and Mecklenburg-Strelitz's WW1 crosses ( :speechless1: ) that last ribbon must, biuzarrely enough, be for a Mecklenburg Order of the Wend Crown!!!!

same ribbon, and equally bizarre to be in an English outfitter's ribbon stock! :cheers:

More to the point, from the appearance of the 1914-15 Star and Victory Medal ribbons (and even the BWM ribbon), I suspect this is a fairly recent remounting job (1980s or later?). This is a very common thing in British collecting circles, however much the German collectors may dislike the practice.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Variatons, on the Kings Profile and ribbon attachments ( Ose.)

The middle one possibly has lost the original ribbon mount as there are no Laurel leaves!! :unsure:

All of these are none Maker marked.

I believe the medal was issued in only Gold (1st Class) and Silver (2nd Class)

But stand open to be corrected.

The medal was issued from 1913 Balkan Campaign on to WW2 it was issued to members of the German Forces in WW2 as well.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

The rears:

As can be seen the ribbon attachment fixing points to the medal itself, are extremely delicate, (a major design flaw)

this results in many being broken off, and collectors are advised to handle with care.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Nice!

Another medal to learn more about.

But, name a romanian medal and the chances are that Kevin, mr Host, has one is his collection! Thanks Kevin for showing your medals and teach us another lesson on the romanian medals.

It's quite a strange medal as it was awarded to the Allied forces in WW1 ?nd to the Germans in WW2.

Igor,

very nice British group, there's also the long service & Good conduct medal ?nd George cross 4th class ?nd this romanian medal, nice and exotic!

Kind regards,

Jacky

Igor :cheers:

I am not sure about hallmark, I think maker-marked is the correct description, post WW1 & WW2 pieces were probably made by the Romanian National Mint and did not carry a maker mark,

I do know that some times medals that were contracted out to smaller firms for fabrication did not have a Maker-mark applied!!

I will try to see what can be found out.

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Hallo Igor :cheers:

I believe this to be a rare version without swords from the 1913 Balkan Campaign.

It might denote the award was to a NON-Combatant.

I attach another picture of one from my reference files which was found a long time ago online for comparison.