News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Sawback bayonet - middle east pick up

Gentlemen - some time ago I posted some items relating to my family, and promised to one day photograph a butcher bayonet my paternal grandfather brought home from Palestine. Well, it has finally been unearthed.......

Jason,

That is a very nice bayonet. :cheers:

When I was a teenager, I was given one just like it by a Great Uncle, whose father had rought it back as a souvenir after WW1. Sadly, it was stolen when my parents house was burgled many years ago. I have never understood why the burglars took the stereo, some costume jewelry and a bayonet.

Now that I have stopped actively collecting any TR items and concentrate on the 1914-18 period, a replacement for the one that was stolen is now at the top of my wanted list.

It would display very well mounted on a Gewehr 98.

David

• 8 years later...

"N" stamp

post-173-1180605976.jpg

Never noticed one of those marks before - now I will have to search through my collection! Turkey received over 100,000 Waffenfabrik S.98/05's in 1917, and almost all of them (in my experience) are marked W/17 on the blade spine. They are by far the most common German bayonet to find in Turkey and Syria, which is why I have so many of the damn things - 10 at the last count... In fact, the reason I started collecting bayonets was simply that I found a 'relic' condition example of one of these near Palmyra about seven years back, and after a couple of years decided to find out exactly what it was!

• 4 years later...
    On 08/08/2015 at 21:11, Hoss said:

Trajan I'd be interested to know what the 'N' mark represents I see it quite often but no longer have any reference material, I gave it all away 15yrs ago.

Eric

I don't think it has any other meaning that a factory 'check-mark'. I have seen them on other 98/05's and will re-check my Waffenfabrik's to see if any of these are marked that way.