News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These items relate to Gebirgs-HJ, mountain units, training to become members of the Alpine or mountain units of the Army, though this particular boy is german I believe they were trained at the Army mountaineering School at Fulpmes in Austria.

A pic of these boys wearing their mountaineering gear can be seen on page 109 of Littlejohn's HJ book, and page 57 of Angolia's book volume 2. They wore the Edelweiss of the Alpine troops on their caps too.

C

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hi Toby, very interesting those badges, being named I would imagine they are an award item of some sort.. this particular badge is shown on page 90 of Baker's volume 2, there it is shown cased, I assume the case is still with the badge, making it a very rare combo indeed, congarats on owning such a fine item, and thanks for letting us see it so well, it's a B&W picture in the book.

C

Hi Toby, very interesting those badges, being named I would imagine they are an award item of some sort.. this particular badge is shown on page 90 of Baker's volume 2, there it is shown cased, I assume the case is still with the badge, making it a very rare combo indeed, congarats on owning such a fine item, and thanks for letting us see it so well, it's a B&W picture in the book.

C

Very nice, I tend to like the documents better then the badges or medals themselves. What is interesting to me is the date of 1942 on your document. Did this type of training for the HJ go on much past this time? I was just wondering seeing how the tide of war turning against the axis in this year. And I wonder how much longer did the germans continue this type of training for the HU.

I don't know how long this group went on into the war, if you look at the front of the card, it's a membership card valid from 1st April 1942 thru 31st March 1943, those are the only dates on it, I have all his HJ docs and there is no card for 43 thru 44, I am still going through them all, it is a very large group belonging to both this guy and his brother (who was not a member of this group).

C

C

Hi Colin,

It is indeed the one shown on p. 90. Alas no case with it though. I actually think the case shown belongs to the adjacent Ski-Fuehrer badge. The Alpenverein pin has simply been positioned on the lid lining for ease of photography.

Best,

Toby.

• 5 years later...

This badge and membership card that I presented here some time back were part of a large grouping to 2 brothers that were both in the HJ.

After posting this here I was contacted by a member of this forum by the name of Railhouse or something close to that, who wished that should I ever wish to sell these items he should be contacted, as he wished to buy them if they became available. I sold them to him roughly a year later.

The badge that Toby of Das Reich was kind enough to add to this topic post can be CLEARLY seen in this thread to NOT be part of this group.

Bizarrely though on the Hitler Youth forum, owned and run by another member here who goes under the name XEN both the badge and card that I presented and the VERY SAME badge that Toby presented here in this thread (sold to Railhouse, I assume) are now being claimed to be part of the same group, you can see it at this link.

http://www.hj-research.com/forum/f25/deutscher-und-oesterreichischer-alpenverein-hj-7122/

I am banned from the Hitler Youth forum as it's owner has a grudge against me for calling his Distinguished Foreigner badge a fake here on GMIC and on the HJ forum itself, I used the word "Cr@p" to describe his badge and that was considered foul and abusive language, well fair enough, it's his ball, he can take it home if he wants.

HOWEVER..

Seeing the deception of this Railhouse character in trying to marry Toby's badge to the group I sold him I signed up again to the HJ forum with my sons name to send this Railhouse character a PM to ask him what he is playing at, I also contacted via PM the owner of the forum XEN (Garry) to let him know what this guy was up to and to ask permission to be re-instated on his forum so that I could challenge this Railhouse guy directly, being the one that sold him the group and thus being unique in being able to pull him up about what he is doing.

Garry's response was to ban me again with the new account and do nothing about this guy and his sham.

Well it shows the integrity of both the HJ forum and its owner.

I warn anyone being offered this group by Railhouse ( I have his real name on my other computer from the sale, but will have to wait to get back home to get it) to please be aware that the 2 badges presented in this thread are the very same in Railhouse's possession and they were never together before him getting his hands on them.

As both Garry (XEN) and Railhouse are members here and they can't just delete or ban me on here I would like them both to explain what the hell they are playing at.

C

Edited by Colin Davie