News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alpenkorps headgear edelweiss....

• Replies 249
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    • 2 months later...

I am still looking for informations about the "real" Edelweiss, worn by the Alpenkorps. On different photos we´ve seen different ones. We have ones with 3 large and 3 small pollens, ones with 7 pollens. I´ve read in a Zeitschrift für Heereskunde by a veteran, that some Edelweiss´ had a stamp "DAK". I haven´t seen that one before. I assume, he had seen a stamp. Maybe DAV or D.OE.AV.

Fact is, the 1st one was given to Krafft v. Dellmensingen. After him the bav. LIR had recieved theirs. And after that, the 20.000 in that "box" arrived. Right now I think, the austrians did collect 20.000 Edelweiss, and they didin´t care about wich pattern it was! The veteran said, the different ones were worn at the same time.

Other sources said, that they might be 4cm. That are all the facts I have. Next week I will show my three Edelweis I have.

• 3 weeks later...

That´s like mine in thread #89. But do we know, that the first owner did recieve it from the "box"? Some later Alpenkorps members bought themselves an Edelweiß, knowing they don´t have the permission to wear...

• 1 month later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello gentlemen!

I´ve just recieved this nice Edelweiss. max dimension is 3,8mm.

I´m not sure what the letters mean.

If I read ATV, it doesn´t make any sense to me

If I read AVT, I assume "Alpen-Verein-Tirol"

What do you think, please?

• 1 month later...

Hallo all !

Here is a new Photo in my collection ! Another Edelweiss member ! cheers.gif

Christer

Any info on the uniform?

Hi Christer! Here we have a nice female photo! This is Viktoria Savs (pic taken in 1917). German born in 1899 (Bad Reichenhall). She volunteered at the age of 16 in 1915. named Viktor!!!) She joined the Landsturm-Inf.Btl.II Innsbruck

Excellent thread, its being going along time and I've just come across it. Looking through it for the first time, I came across Chip / Chris's post - No. 21 - Württenberg Mountain Troop edelweiss, I too have such a piece, here's the picture. I always wondered what it was, Chris 's write-up seem a little uncertain has he found out any-more since then ? perhaps the moderator who merged the two threads could tidy it up at the joint a bit, three of the posts are the same. I feel some of the posts that have crept in are nothing to do with the military Alpinekorps Edelweiss are clearly edelweiss badges used by alpine walkers club between the wars as in post No. 36,37.

Hi AlecH!

I´m still not sure, if the crowned Edelweiss was worn by those units. I have read, that the crowned one was worn by the Freikorps Oberland.

They also had the ones with three big and three small pollens (like Freikorps Schwaben).

The short history of the Edelweiss is, that the first ones were worn by the k.u.k. Landwehr-Gebirgstruppen. In 1907 that were the two Tiroler Landesschützenregimenter (a third one from 1909) and the k.u.k. Landwehr-Inf-Rgt "Klagenfurt" N°4, since 1911 the k.u.k. Landwehr-Inf.Rgt.N°27 "Laibach". Those troops wore the collar Edelweiss with the stem. Metal pattern by NCOs and Mannschaften and a cloth one worn by officers (#81).

In 1914 Erzherzog Joseph-Ferdinand spent a new Edelweiss to the troops of the XIV.Korps (Innsbruck). This one was a non-stemed one with seven golden pollens.

This one was given to the german Alpenkorps. Probably it´s the one shown in thread 18.

But don´t forget, that some Alpenkorps units had a stamp of the DÖAV Edelweiss!

I collected all patterns of Edelweis (including WWII), hoping that some of them were originally worn by Alpenkorps men. They wore all different kinds og the Edelweiss, but probably the one in #18 is the one, that was in the 20.000 pieces box. (I assume - no proof...)

Edited by The Prussian

Hi The Prussian,

Thanks for the extra information, I did have a trawl through the internet looking for pictures and information from the Freikorp Oberland, there were plenty of pictures of edelweiss's but none of a edelweiss with a crown, only as you say a centre made up of three big pods and three small pods. I've included a picture from a book cover about the Freikorp Oberland, you can see their edelweiss.Thinking things over, could this crowned edelweiss's have been worn by perhaps some of the Bayerische Infantry Leib Regiments, after all they were the royal house-hold guards with a connection to the monarchy and when the Alpinekorp was set up in 1915 they formed the nucleus of the Alpine troops then ? Regards