News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet - Order for Service to the Homeland 3rd cl

Do you have ever researched one of these in higher serialnumber-range like 80-90.000? Did the value of this Order decrease with the time as well, like it happened to other Soviet orders like Red-Star and Red-Banner?

Gerd-

Good to be here. :D

I've never researched one of the higher numbered ones, though Luchinsky's was probably in that range - I just don't have an award card for him. My feeling is that anything under 100000 is researchable. Everything else is tryable, but I wouldn't depend on getting research back.

As far as them being "devalued", I don't think this became the case. It's wasn't really a "prestigious" award to begin with like the Red Star and Red Banner and the citations that I've seen from the 1970s compared to those of the late 1980s are pretty much the same.

Dave

To which Wartime-Order would you compare the "crab"?

I'd say it was most like a Red Star or a OGPW2. While I've never seen a Crab awarded for valor, I have seen lots of Red Stars and OGPW2s awarded for training and behind-the-lines administrative work.

Dave

Howdy all,

I've had two of the third class "crabs" researched. The first one, #2347, mentioned in Paul's book as the lowest serial number reported as of that date, I just knew was going to be good since it was an early award. As always happens when you are certain it's going to be great, it turns out somewhat otherwise. The ukaz date is April 30, 1975 and was awarded to Colonel Nikolai Alekseevich Potanin. While he commanded a number of artillery regiments during the GPW, he received this award for teaching artillery tactics.

The second 3rd class I've researched, # 58651, has a ukaz date of February 2, 1985 and was awarded to Senior Lieutenant Nikolai Nikitovich Tretyak. Tretyak received this award for his service in the "Democratic Republic of Afghanistan" DRA where he served during 1983 as an onboard aviation technician / aerial gunner on MI-8 and MI-9 helocopters. He also received a Red Star # 3741353 for his service there in 1980 - 1981.

I'm so glad to see so much research being discussed and presented on this board. As time permits, I hope to be able to add some of the better citations I've gotten back.

All the best,

Doug

Guest Rick Research

Is #2347 a relief reverse or flat back type? Still trying to figure out the exact serial number range.

Tretyak sounds like a GREAT subject for the Researched Groups sub-forum. Did you get his ORS citation? I'm wondering how that compares with division commander Vozhachenko's up in "researched Groups."