Charles,

If you meant, which one you should choose according to rarity, then I would go with the smaller battalion sized unit J?ger cap. If you are choosing according to value, the Saxon Garde Reiter would be worth the most.

Chip

Charles,

Thanks for the additional photo. The inside looks OK, but I have to admit that I rarely see maker marks with dates. Usually, the only dates are those associated with the B.A. marks. Not impossible, just unusual. I checked my thirteen issue caps, of which only about five were maker marked. No dates. The placement of the mark is a bit unusual too... right in the middle. On all of my marked caps, the maker marks are off to the side, which I assume was done to leave space for the B.A. markings. Finally, once again, I find it unusual that the cap is marked by a maker in the same town that the regiment is stationed. This would seem normal for a custom cap, but I don't think that is what this cap is supposed to be. Most Saxon issue items were contracted in the main cities, Leipzig, Dresden, Chemnitz, and so forth. Anyway, just some observations that probably mean nothing, but food for thought none-the-less.

Best regards,

Chip

Charles,

Thanks for the additional photo. The inside looks OK, but I have to admit that I rarely see maker marks with dates. Usually, the only dates are those associated with the B.A. marks. Not impossible, just unusual. I checked my thirteen issue caps, of which only about five were maker marked. No dates. The placement of the mark is a bit unusual too... right in the middle. On all of my marked caps, the maker marks are off to the side, which I assume was done to leave space for the B.A. markings. Finally, once again, I find it unusual that the cap is marked by a maker in the same town that the regiment is stationed. This would seem normal for a custom cap, but I don't think that is what this cap is supposed to be. Most Saxon issue items were contracted in the main cities, Leipzig, Dresden, Chemnitz, and so forth. Anyway, just some observations that probably mean nothing, but food for thought none-the-less.

Best regards,

Chip

Chip, thanks for offering your observations. I need to really study this before making my final decision.

Charles