News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Patriotic War - Odd Fastener

Any opinions on this Order of the Patriotic War - 2nd cl? Check out that pin and catch set-up looks German. Maybe a repair job by German Jeweler for a Soviet soldier after the war?

Edited by John F.

Reminds me of an EK1 set up that there is.

Not that I know about these at all, but I've not seen to my recollection this two part construction either ????

There's no mint mark and the number is off to the side to accomadate the hook ???

Edited by Marcus H

Guest Darrell

Reminds me of an EK1 set up that there is.

Not that I know about these at all, but I've not seen to my recollection this two part construction either ????

There's no mint mark and the number is off to the side to accomadate the hook ???

The 2nd Class Type 1 (with ribbon device) were of 2 piece construction .. however, no Type 2 (always screwback), were ever 2 piece construction.

There were know examples, where Type 1 were converted to Type 2 and a modified Screwpost created, but not like this as far as I have ever seen or read

ohmy.gif Could definitely have seen some rough treatment and got repaired PostWar in Germany ... interesting piece by any means ....

Edited by Darrell

John

Its a type 1 variation 1...it would have had a loop on top for a hanger...very low number...great piece...it has been converted to screwback...I have never seen one done that way before but very nice...

Yes, some of the enamel has been replaced...boogalooo........no biggie and quite normal.........

Attached a Typ1 Variation 2 ......the only difference V1 and 2 is the size of the hanger (which is lost in history).......notice the loop and the mark on the back were the pin has broken off.

Chris

Guest Darrell

Darrell.......slight case of snap........

The back of T1 V2

The pinbacks you are thinking of are not like that in the pictures above. They were like this below .. quite different.

The pinbacks you are thinking of are not like that in the pictures above. They were like this below .. quite different....unquote

I am saying this...as you look at the picture above, the one on the left is a Variation 3...because it does not have a Pin back.

The one next to it shows the area where the pin back was, but snapped off, Variation 2 of type 1.

As you obviously have PD's book he does state that the pin tended to snap of and why they binned it and made the V3 without it.

As for the pictures above... they are from my collection and not taken from books.

Cheers

Chris

Guest Darrell

Well regardless, the first badge under question does not have the same pin back as mentioned for Type 1 badges. Obviously it was (or is trying to be) a Type 2.

The pinback is a dead ringer for the types found on early Schinkel Type Iron Crosses. That's what makes this one quite unusual.

Well regardless, the first badge under question does not have the same pin back as mentioned for Type 1 badges. Obviously it was (or is trying to be) a Type 2...Unquote

Sorry to be pedantic, but it is a type 1 and not a type 2 (Type 2 were screwbacks in the first place), its conversion does not make it anything else but an altered Type 1 Variation 3.

This conversion is normal as you know , because of the 1943 change in statute for wear, screwbacks with hangers had to be converted. Type 2 were then manufactured without hangers in the screwback mode.

Variation 1 and 2 of type 1 had a pinback, the number range makes it a type 3 of the type 1, this variation was just that, because it did not have a pinback in the first place.

It is a type 1 Variation 3 with an unusual pinback arrangement possible made for wear as a screwback.

The other thing it could be is, a put together piece to deceive, therefore fake and I am wrong!

Cheers

Chris

• 2 months later...

Hello,

what do you think about this OGPW 2nd Class typ 1? I can?t see any obviosly problems.

But I don?t like the small connection from the star tip to the loop. I looked at the pictures of several

OGPW and the connection was always thicker.

Any comments? Any other pieces with a small connection?

regards

Andreas

• 6 years later...

Hi all!

I'm new om this forum and I have a question about this converted Order of the Patriotic War 2. What variation is this order and was this way of converting a order usual?

Thanks in advance!

http://tinyurl.com/cosxprt

http://tinyurl.com/bwl8as3

http://tinyurl.com/btdo8uu

http://tinyurl.com/897vowz