News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

GREAT EAST ASIA WAR MEDAL

Richard LaTondre

Is there anyone out there in 'collector land' that has, or has ever seen, an 'original' Great East Asia War Medal as described in Peterson's monograph published by OMSA.

Thanks for taking your time for reading this and more thanks for any input you may have.

Richard LaTondre

ANS part 3 Morton and Eden 26/4/07 lot 239. Image available WWWMortonandeden.com. follow links for past sales.

All the best,

Paul

Is there anyone out there in 'collector land' that has, or has ever seen, an 'original' Great East Asia War Medal as described in Peterson's monograph published by OMSA.

Thanks for taking your time for reading this and more thanks for any input you may have.

Richard LaTondre

Thanks Paul,

I saw the medal (beautiful photography) and the Great East Asia War Medal illustrated was not the same as the one illustrated in Peterson's monograph. Jeff Floyd solved the problem when he stated that he had sold the medal he purchased from Peterson's estate and it was the medal used for the photograph in his book. The Kanji on Peterson's Medal reads from left to right. The medal sold at Morton and Eden was not the same as the rare version described on page 51 of Peterson's book as the latter inscription reads from right to left. Thanks for your great input. I think we may now put this matter to rest.

Keep Collecting!

Dick LaTondre

For your Info.

It sold for ?1,150 and the gentleman who bought it was absolutely delighted with it.

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I saw the medal (beautiful photography) and the Great East Asia War Medal illustrated was not the same as the one illustrated in Peterson's monograph. Jeff Floyd solved the problem when he stated that he had sold the medal he purchased from Peterson's estate and it was the medal used for the photograph in his book. The Kanji on Peterson's Medal reads from left to right. The medal sold at Morton and Eden was not the same as the rare version described on page 51 of Peterson's book as the latter inscription reads from right to left. Thanks for your great input. I think we may now put this matter to rest.

Keep Collecting!

Dick LaTondre

• 1 year later...

I have a question about this medal.

Were 10 000 made, but then a number of X medals destroyd? So the number of real medals is unknown?

Or were X medals made, and then many destroyd, so that there are about 10 000 "surviving" medals?

Thanks for any answers.

10,000 were made, most of which were subsequently destroyed. A small number were awarded to wounded soldiers before the Japanese surrender and a small number were pilfered by the US soldiers who were tasked with destroying them. One of the latter was given to the ANS in 1946 and is the medal to which Paul Wood refers above. I was the purchaser. I have posted pictures of it in another topic in the Japanese section of this forum.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks, Paul. As you know :rolleyes: , the time has ome for us to have a "second-generation" reference work that takes us beyond Peterson. In your "spare time"?

Spare Time :speechless1:

I remember having some of that a few years ago, but only vaguely remember what it felt like !

Joking aside, I am still looking for a few more certificates before I am happy that I have everything needed to do a proper job on the subject. I hope to be able to start the actual writing of it early next year. Finishing it ........ how long is a piece of string ? :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Spare Time :speechless1:

I remember having some of that a few years ago, but only vaguely remember what it felt like !

Joking aside, I am still looking for a few more certificates before I am happy that I have everything needed to do a proper job on the subject. I hope to be able to start the actual writing of it early next year. Finishing it ........ how long is a piece of string ? :rolleyes:

:cheers:

Not very long... ;)