News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting Masonic "medal" Sussex 1931

Croat

I need info about this medal.

Medal is covered with glas. It is marked 9 375 and some other signs for 9 K gold.

On the edge is written probably name of the owner Bro : Lloyd Wilson Served as Steward to the R.M.I.B. 1920 R.M.I.G. 1924 R.M.B.I. 1931

I do not collect masonic items but I like this one. It is very nice made. I am curios what material could be medal it self?

It looks like gold or at least gold plated.

Any info would be appriciated.

PICT3166.jpg

PICT3169.jpg

PICT3172.jpg

I have seen this Masonic Testimonial Medal on several occasions. It was a masonic Meritorious Service award generally given to those who had served their lodge with distinction over many years. The medal within the glazed case is gold (certainly up to WWII and from its institution in the 19th century). It is certainly one of the more attractive masonic pieces. I suspect that that the medal is 9 carat , lthough in some of the 19th century pieced I have encountered the gold may be of a higher purity.

Hope this is of help,

Paul

I need info about this medal.

Medal is covered with glas. It is marked 9 375 and some other signs for 9 K gold.

On the edge is written probably name of the owner Bro : Lloyd Wilson Served as Steward to the R.M.I.B. 1920 R.M.I.G. 1924 R.M.B.I. 1931

I do not collect masonic items but I like this one. It is very nice made. I am curios what material could be medal it self?

It looks like gold or at least gold plated.

Any info would be appriciated.

PICT3166.jpg

PICT3169.jpg

PICT3172.jpg

Basically its gold value I am afraid, masonic material, unless it is very early, i.e. 18th century or if the recipient is famous in his own right (or if they are with a group of unnamed campaign medals thus giving provenance) is not widely collected. I would guess around ?150

All the best,

Paul

Many thanks for your reply.

Any idea about value?

Charity jewel

253. (a) For serving the office of Steward to any two of

the following Institutions, viz.:

The Royal Masonic Institution for Girls,

The Royal Masonic Institution for Boys,

The Royal Masonic Benevolent Institution,

a Brother has the privilege of wearing the charity jewel

(Plate No. 60), provided he shall, at each time of so

serving, have personally subscribed ten guineas (?10.50)

at the least.

(b) The jewel shall be suspended from a ribbon of

one and a half inches in width, the colours of which shall

be white and blue, white and red, blue and red, or white,

blue and red respectively, according to the Institutions

for which the Brother has served the stewardships as

above, viz.:

White, for the Institution for Girls,

Blue, for the Institution for Boys,

Red, for the Benevolent Institution.

© A Brother being, according to the foregoing

regulation, entitled to wear the charity jewel, and who

may have served the office of Steward to any of the

Institutions a second time, may wear a bar attached to the

ribbon, and an additional bar for each occasion of having

served the office of Steward to any of the Institutions;

but in no case shall he be entitled to wear such bar or

bars, unless he shall, on each of those occasions, at the

time of serving such stewardship, have personally

subscribed a like amount as above named.

(d) A Vice-President of any one or more of the

Masonic Institutions, being otherwise entitled to the

charity jewel, may wear attached to the ribbon,

immediately above the jewel, a rosette of the colour

or colours before mentioned, or in combination,

according to the Institution or Institutions of which he is

a Vice-President.

(e) A Vice-Patron of any one or more of the

Masonic Institutions, being otherwise entitled to the

charity jewel, may wear the same suspended from a

ribbon around his neck, of the like width and colour or

(f) A Patron of any one or more of the Masonic

Institutions may have embroidered on the right and left

sides of the ribbon referred to in the preceding

paragraph, a sprig of acacia one and a half inches long,

meeting in the centre, over the colour appertaining to the

Institutio]n of which he is a Patron, and the Jewel

ensigned with a representation of the Coronet of the

Most Worshipful Grand Master for the time being; the

sprig of acacia and the Coronet to be of Silver for a

Patron of any one of the Institutions, of Gold for a Patron

of two, and enamelled in their proper colours for a Patron

of the three Institutions.

(g) None of the foregoing insignia shall be obtained

except on production of the appropriate certificates

furnished by the Secretaries of the respective Institutions.

Oops pressed wrong button. From those I have encountered where the glazing has got broken they are definitely gold, whether this continued after WWII I don't know as to carat, 9 carat generally although some of the earlier 19th century ones may be higher.

Paul (PS Delete the next post)

Wow, thanks for info.

Does anyone know if this is real gold under glas?

It is preaty heavy ca. 35 gr

Edited by paul wood

• 4 months later...

Hi all

Precious little information on the composition of the medallion held between the glass and rim. Generally they are assumed to be gold-plated base metal (so intrinsically worth virtually nothing as scrap metal) and are incredibly common amongst Masonic jewels. I have seen hundreds (honestly, no exaggeration!) of these and perhaps just one percent of those have carried hallmarks.

The hallmarks were on the reverse face and situated either side of the square and compass, quite apparent without having to dismantle the item. Anecdotally, I have heard of hallmarks on the rim of the medallion itself, but have not seen this for myself. All hallmarked medallions I have seen so far have been silver-gilt (i.e. gold electroplated coating onto solid sterling silver medallion), never seen or heard of a solid gold version. Depending on the testing method, or preparation for such, might give a false-positive result if testing the gold-plate, rather than any metal underneath.

You can find these regularly on eBay where they fetch less than ?10 (US$20). In a more cynical frame of mind, I guess that if these (medallions) were solid gold, then they might sell for more than that just for their scrap value!

Hope that helps,

Richard

Hi all

Precious little information on the composition of the medallion held between the glass and rim. Generally they are assumed to be gold-plated base metal (so intrinsically worth virtually nothing as scrap metal) and are incredibly common amongst Masonic jewels. I have seen hundreds (honestly, no exaggeration!) of these and perhaps just one percent of those have carried hallmarks.

The hallmarks were on the reverse face and situated either side of the square and compass, quite apparent without having to dismantle the item. Anecdotally, I have heard of hallmarks on the rim of the medallion itself, but have not seen this for myself. All hallmarked medallions I have seen so far have been silver-gilt (i.e. gold electroplated coating onto solid sterling silver medallion), never seen or heard of a solid gold version. Depending on the testing method, or preparation for such, might give a false-positive result if testing the gold-plate, rather than any metal underneath.

You can find these regularly on eBay where they fetch less than ?10 (US$20). In a more cynical frame of mind, I guess that if these (medallions) were solid gold, then they might sell for more than that just for their scrap value!

Hope that helps,

Richard

For anyone interested in Masonic medals and Jewels and related medals and tokens (British and empire) there is a new and very good book by Trever I Harris, The Medals and Jewels of British Freemasonary, London 2007, IBSN 978-0-9554447-0-8. This book has been produced in collaboration with the Library and Museum of the Freemason's Hall and is lavishly illustrated and gives details of the various varieties of the awards etc. There are 8 distinct varieties of the Sussex jewel which was established in 1830 and is still going. including the one with the hallmarked gold ring. The earlier ones are of superior quality (I am thinking of the ones which turn up with the effects of Crimean War officer). Certainly this book answers if not all most of the questions about masonic medals and as far as I am aware it is the first comprehensive work on the subject.

Hope this is of interest,

Paul

For anyone interested in Masonic medals and Jewels and related medals and tokens (British and empire) there is a new and very good book by Trever I Harris, The Medals and Jewels of British Freemasonary, London 2007, IBSN 978-0-9554447-0-8. This book has been produced in collaboration with the Library and Museum of the Freemason's Hall and is lavishly illustrated and gives details of the various varieties of the awards etc..... Certainly this book answers if not all most of the questions about masonic medals and as far as I am aware it is the first comprehensive work on the subject.

Certainly is a nice book, but by no means the first.

The major (English language) works of note have been:

Worcestershire Masonic Medals by Rev. H. Poole (1939), a catalogue of Masonic medals in the museum of the Province of Worcestershire.

The Medals (commemorative or historical) of British Freemasonry by Geo. L. Shackles (1901).

Masonic Emblems and Jewels - Treasures at Freemasons' Hall, London by William Hammond (1917), the Curator at Grand Lodge.

Centenary Warrants and Jewels by John Lane (1893), illustrating and explaining (most of) the pre-regulation Craft Centenary jewels.

The Medals of the Masonic Fraternity, Described and Illustrated by William T.R. Marvin (1880), privately published in Boston with limited print run of 160 copies. The work describes over 700 Masonic medals from around the world and was augmented by a printed supplement in 1912.

A further two books written by David Heathcote in the late 1990s describe the Festival Stewards jewels of the Royal Masonic Institute for Girls, and another volume for those of the Royal Masonic Institute for Boys, but Trevor's books is the first general one for nearly 60 years (since Poole).

Algernon Tudor-Craig, the Curator of the Museum at Grand Lodge in London, compiled a three volume catalogue in the late 1930s which carried some illustrations, but not of the jewels, AFAIK.

Richard

• 14 years later...