News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Great Asian War Medal

James T

I have had this medal in my collection for about 20+ years and would like to know if it is an original medal. It does not match up to the one in the revised OMSA book but the last post noted that the OMSA medal was a variation? I tried the site with the photo but it would not come up. Appreciate your help.

Jim

I have had this medal in my collection for about 20+ years and would like to know if it is an original medal. It does not match up to the one in the revised OMSA book but the last post noted that the OMSA medal was a variation? I tried the site with the photo but it would not come up. Appreciate your help.

Jim

Jim:

It is not quite clear at this time as to what is meant by the term 'original' medal.

Please tell me what post refered to the medal in Peterson's monograph as being a variation.

Does the reverse of your medal show the shield with characters or the map of East Asia?

Dick

Jim:

It is not quite clear at this time as to what is meant by the term 'original' medal.

Please tell me what post refered to the medal in Peterson's monograph as being a variation.

Does the reverse of your medal show the shield with characters or the map of East Asia?

Dick

"....About 10,000 were struck at the Osaka Mint before the war ended, but the Allied Occupation authorities ordered the destruction of the remaining stocks, so it is a very rare medal...."

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals..._medals-ww2.htm

After that copies were made for Vetrans Association's.

"....About 10,000 were struck at the Osaka Mint before the war ended, but the Allied Occupation authorities ordered the destruction of the remaining stocks, so it is a very rare medal...."

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-medals..._medals-ww2.htm

After that copies were made for Vetrans Association's.

Yes I know. Did you mean to send this to Jim?

The post that I was refering to was yours of June 11, 07.

As I am limited in the amount of photo space I had only posted the obverse of the medal. Enclosed is a photo of the reverse.

Regards

Jim

The post that I was refering to was yours of June 11, 07.

As I am limited in the amount of photo space I had only posted the obverse of the medal. Enclosed is a photo of the reverse.

Regards

Jim

Thanks Jim

It appears that you have one of the more common versions of the Great East Asia War Medal.

To my knowledge there exist three versions of this medal:

1. The version in the OMSA monograph by Peterson which reads from left to right on the suspension bar. This is the extremely rare version as only one has been reported and that was by Jeff Floyd who purchased the medal from the Peterson estate.

2. The Common version that reads from right to left with the shield on the reverse (which appears to be your medal). Possibly an earlier version.

3. Another version that reads from right to left with a map of East Asia on the reverse. Possibly a newer version.

The obverse of the medal appears to be similar in all cases with the exception of some variants that show miniature stars or anchors on the circular rim that surrounds the medal, in place of the standard blossoms.

I am sure that other variants exist and will be brought to light as research continues.

Dick