News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Romania - Post Communist WW2 Veterans badge

Hallo Gentlemen :cheers:

Another interesting find at the Collectors Fair in Deva, Transylvania today June 23 2007.

I believe it to be a Romanian Post Communist badge for WW2 Veterans,

Measurements: Height 26 mm X 21 wide.

Vertical Broach type fastening.

The badge features (L-R) the figures of a Pilot, Soldier, and Sailor (?).

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Guest Rick Research

What about Veterans "PRO"-Fascist? The Italians handled that... discreetly :catjava: with "1940-43" and "1943-45" bars to their Republican medal for WW2 service.

I suppose since the Crusade Against Communism Medal already existed, no need has been felt to create something for 1941-44 again? But isn't there also a medal for military service 1944-45?

What about Veterans "PRO"-Fascist? The Italians handled that... discreetly :catjava: with "1940-43" and "1943-45" bars to their Republican medal for WW2 service.

I suppose since the Crusade Against Communism Medal already existed, no need has been felt to create something for 1941-44 again? But isn't there also a medal for military service 1944-45?

Hallo Rick,

this one, Post Communist fits the bill for the period of Service for Romanians in WW2.

There is also another medal commemorating the day they went over to the Russians, the so called 23 August Medal.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Edited by Kev in Deva

post-950-1182628645.jpg

I believe it to be a Romanian Post Communist badge for WW2 Veterans

The text on the badge is typical for the distinction made by the communist authorities between the "true" veterans of the western front and the "brigands" who went to fight on the eastern front. Besides, the "dot" in the yellow field was supposed to mean the coat-of-arms present on the state flag between 1948 and 1989. These details indicate a communist-period badge.

The Crusade against Communism medal has been officially des-established (is there such a word?) in 1944, so formally there was no distinction for the early war years. As a matter of fact, the "pro-fascist" label for those first years was a communist propaganda thing to incriminate the efforts to liberate the Romanian territory occupied by the soviets following the provisions of the Ribbentrop-Molotov treaty.

Anyhow, in the 1990s the Romanian authorities decided to remove the segregation of the communist period and establish the WWII Commemorative Cross (shown by Kevin) destined to all the Romanian combatants of WWII.

There is also another medal commemorating the day they went over to the Russians, the so called 23 August Medal.

post-950-1182630671.jpg

This is an image of the Order of 23 August, established in 1959 and awarded for activities that "led to the insurrection [of 23 August 1944] and the consolidation of power". The order was however not restricted to the participants of the 1944 events and was in fact one of the higher awards of the communist period.

Hallo Carol I :beer:

Again my many thanks for your insight with regards the items I post.

Its good to know we have somebody with us who can clarify the items in the correct context

especialy when dealing with items upon which their is so little reference material available,

as of yet.

Kevin in Deva. :beer: