News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet Awards to Hungarians

Well at the local coin show today a favorite dealer of mine produced some amazing items (I hope :unsure: ). First off is the Order of Combat Service, with the award book. Awarded to Agyik Joszef in 1967 Oktober (?) 30th. I can only guess that this is a ceatch up award. I value your opininons on all of it. (IE origianl or a 'made up' one)

post-1879-1182894058_thumb.jpg

Guest Rick Research

:Cat-Scratch: I don't know what was "normal" for awards to Honored Foreign Comrades.

I have never before seen a cased (can you show the whole thing?) Valor Medal OR one like that with a special printed page for the CITATION.

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

It says

"For courage demonstrated by (redeeming/rescuing/saving) wounds

in the Soviet forces in the period of the Great Patriotic

War 1941-1945. By Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme

Soviet of the USSR of 28 May 1966 is awarded

the medal 'For Valor.'

8 June 1966"

The bit about wounds is not clear to me. It's an odd phrase to use for "being wounded" but I don't think it says for rescuing wounded Soviet forces. Loses me, I'm afraid.

Possibly for treating wounded soldeirs. There were a number of doctors who were pressed into service during the battles of Hungary. My other assumption is that these may have been partisan awards, for those POW's who were trained at the 10 Hungarian camps and then sent to fight the Germans and alos trying to get Hungarians to desert - however most of these individuals got their awards shortly after the war where due. The other possiblilty is that these men were part of the 'Voros Hadsereg' (Red Army - Hungarian) That was formed in Debrecen in December 1944. However there were only a handful of troops who actualy engaged in combat - small actions of cleaning up small pockets of resisitance.

Anyhow - here are photos of the case.

post-1879-1182932299_thumb.jpg

post-1879-1182932342_thumb.jpg

Guest Rick Research

:cheers:

Never seen anything that nice for something at that level before. A treasure, I'd say.

:Cat-Scratch: I don't know what was "normal" for awards to Honored Foreign Comrades.

I have never before seen a cased (can you show the whole thing?) Valor Medal OR one like that with a special printed page for the CITATION.

:jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping::jumping:

It says

"For courage demonstrated by (redeeming/rescuing/saving) wounds

in the Soviet forces in the period of the Great Patriotic

War 1941-1945. By Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme

Soviet of the USSR of 28 May 1966 is awarded

the medal 'For Valor.'

8 June 1966"

The bit about wounds is not clear to me. It's an odd phrase to use for "being wounded" but I don't think it says for rescuing wounded Soviet forces. Loses me, I'm afraid.

Rick,

A more correct translation would read, "For heroism displayed while saving wounded Soviet combatants..."

Regards,

slava1stclass

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Okay, seriously. That For Valor medal with the special presentation book is AMAZING. Hands down the best one I've ever seen! The box is 100% correct on it, and it is AWESOME with the photo. That's just simply amazing!!!

The Military Merit is also very nice. It was awarded under the Ukaz for veterans of the Russian Revolution on the 50th Anniversary.

VERY VERY VERY NICE FINDS!!!!

(no kidding, I can't emphasize how nice these are!!!)

Dave

Guest Rick Research

Ahhhhhhh, so a WW1 prisoner of war who joined the Reds, then.

TWO treasures!

"A more correct translation would read, 'For heroism displayed while saving wounded Soviet combatants...' " :cheers: It's been almost 30 years since I had Russian, and it's getting rusty. Thanks for clarifying the precise phrasing.

"A more correct translation would read, 'For heroism displayed while saving wounded Soviet combatants...' " :cheers: It's been almost 30 years since I had Russian, and it's getting rusty. Thanks for clarifying the precise phrasing.

Rick,

You're welcome. Happy to help.

Regards,

slava1stclass

• 3 months later...

Got another one today - just another Military Merit Medal. But what is nice about this one is that it also comes with the Hungarian award book. This is also a Ukaz for veterans of the Russian Revolution on the 50th Anniversary.

This is the page that lists the award - there is just a ghost of a stamp listing the Military Merit Medal, but it is there. You can just see a smudge on the first line in this scan...

Edited by hunyadi