News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BATAVIAN REPUBLIC 6th 1/2 Brigade Delft

Good evening Gentlemen,

Would anyone on this forum kindly explain what this badge could possibly be? It dates back to the short lived Batavian Republic and has something to do with the 6th Half-Brigade (typical French revolutionnary jargon = Regiment) of the Civic Guards, probably located in Delft.

A piece of written paper went with it, in Dutch, explaining about the period. I wonder what this badge meant and who was intiltled to wear it. Did it fit on a laniard of kinds? Does anyone know of similar pieces which could be used for comparisons? Is it a current type of military piece of the time or is it scarce? I have been wondering about it.

Physically, it looks like a flat piece of engraved silver, with a gilt frame. Size is 8 x 12 cms approximately.

Every bit of information will be gratefully received. Very best regards to all

Veteran

post-2990-1182894429_thumb.jpg

post-2990-1182894448_thumb.jpg

post-2990-1182894459_thumb.jpg

I obtained the images, and was able to read most of it.

The shield on the badge reads:

The council of Administration and Discipline of the 2nd Battaillon of the 6th 1/2 brigad Batavian (Dutch) Armed Civil Guard. Department Delft in the Hague.

The letter says:

Batavian Republic

the 22th of Januari 1798, Our country was divided in 8 departments: of the Eems, Old Ysel, Rhine, Amstel, Texel, Delf, Dommel, Schelde and Maas (Most of which are names of major rivers in the Netherlands) Each department had to raise 1/2 brigad of armed civil guard. For the department of Delft was this the 6th half Brigad. The council of administraton and Discipline was settled the " 's Gravenhage " (which is the old name of the Hague).

The name Delf is still to be found in the name Delf-land wherefrom the municipal hall, as I remember, still is settled in Delft.

Edited by Jacky

Hello Paul,

I'm glad to have been able to help you.

As I'm no expert, I can't say a lot about it.

But based on the text on the shield itself, I think it's a commemorative gift from the council. Not something to wear, in that case it would have been just a name of the bataillon, without a mention from the council who raised the 1/2 bataillon.

Thus I think it's just something to show you have been there.

Other members are more expericed with these badges.

Kind regards,

Jacky

The letter:

In Dutch:

Bataafse Republiek:

Op 22 Januari 1798 werd ons land in 8 departementen verdeeld: van de Eems, oude Ysel, Rijn, Amstel, Texel, Delf, Dommel, Schelde en Maas(?).

Per departement werd ? Brigade gewapende burgerwacht opgericht, voor het departement de Delf was dit 6e halve Brigade.

De raad van administratie en Discipline was gevestigd te 's Gravenhagen.

De naam delf vindt men nu nog terug in Delf land, waarvan het gemeentehuis naar ik meen nog in Delft gevestigd is.

In English

Batavian Republic:

On the 22th of Januar 1798 our country was divided in 8 departements, from the Eems, old Ysel, the Rhine,Amstel, Texel, Delf, Dommel, Schelde and Maas.

For each department 1/2 brigade of armed civil guards was created. For the department of Delf this was 6 half brigades.

The council of administration and Discipline was located in 's Gravenhage ( the Hague) .

The name Delf can still be found in the name Delf Land, from which the city hall I believe was located in Delft.

Couldn't read everything,

-Schelde and Maas (does it say Maas??)

it is a commemorative badge for the creation of the armed civil guards in the area called Delf.

Edited by Roeland

The badge says:

In Dutch:

De raad van administratie en Discipline van het 2e battaillon der 6 halve brigade Bataafsche Gewapende Burgerwacht.

Departement Delf in Den Haag.

In English:

The council of administration and discipline of the 2nd bataillon of 6 halve brigades Batavian Armed civil guards.

Department Delf in The Hague

Edited by Roeland

Thank you Roeland. The translations of the Dutch texts are most helpful. I am also grateful to Jacky for posting enlarged pictures displaying the badge a lot better than my first effort.

I still feel puzzled by the nature of this badge. The reverse shows two devices made to adjust it to something, it could not be a "table-medal". As you will note the upper attachment is a vertically soldered loop, and the lower is a slide-through. Its size (11cm x 7,5cm - 53grs) shows that it was obviously meant to be displayed possibly on a cross- or shoulder-belt supporting a sword. Or some kind of a laniard. Are other badges of the same kind known, or pictures of men wearing such devices?

Very best regards to all

Veteran

The badge says:

In Dutch:

De raad van administratie en Discipline van het 2e battaillon der 6 halve brigade Bataafsche Gewapende Burgerwacht.

Departement Delf in Den Haag.

In English:

The council of administration and discipline of the 2nd bataillon of 6 halve brigades Batavian Armed civil guards.

Department Delf in The Hague

• 2 years later...

Hello everyone

love4history recently bemoaned the absence of Dutch related material on the Forum. I therefore dig up this post which was discussed to some extent two years ago, without really getting an answer.

The question still is : what could be this badge ? Are any other of the same kind known to exist in private or public collections.

Thank you for your kind attention to my question.

Best regards to all members on this forum.

Veteran