News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Husar ritmeister uniform (dutch)

someone sold me this item as a Captain's atillia from the husars.

It is indeed a Captain(Ritmeester), from the 3th Husar regiment.

However it is super small, a child size,they are very rare (it is genuine and 19th century).

pupil.JPG

children which wanted to go to the army learned their profession while being part of the troops.

young man from 18 to 21 years old where called Cadets.

12 year old up to 18 year old where called Pupils.

untill 1800 these children travelled with the troops and learned the profession, since 1800 and during the 19th century, there where schools for the pupils, also the KMA (Royal Military Academy) was created(1828) for the cadets (18-21 year olds).

This is clearly one for a 12 or 13 year old child, at least a young pupil, so I am wondering, is it genuine from a Pupil (probaly the leader of this particullary Pupil groop looking at the rank), or is it an expensive child's toy(only the richest people could afford to buy their children these kind of uniforms, they where in fact genuine uniforms made by genuine uniform makers).

what I also saw; the ''buttons'' on the end of the stripes and down the middle aren't metal but fabric, could anyone say more about that?

never saw it on toy uniforms, have seen it on a regular Pupil uniform though which was exhibited in a Dutch museum

could anyone say more about the stars of the rank, quite high for a 12 or 13 year old --> 1. he was the leader of his group which makes the rank possible (although at very young age) 2. this indicates it is a toy.

thanks for any comments/information

kind regards,

Roeland

Edited by Roeland

my personal opinion is that it probably is a toy uniform, this in regards to the high rank, a closer inspection of the shoulderboards also suggest a toy uniform as it is a littlebit longer and less thick as other husar uniforms I own.