News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

...very nice tinnie Benten...

...I like the way the aged patina helps to highlight the detailing...

For my own part....I've become attracted to tinnie's featuring swords and daggers....especially those with fine detailing to the blade itself...

..for instance...'Alles F?r Deutschland' written on this S.A. blade...

"SA Brigade 78 Mittelfr., Sportfest 1934 N?rnberg"

• Replies 404
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Claymore that is a nice item to collect.

Your tinnie is in a very good condition, usually the silver finish is partly gone.

I?ve red somewhere that the SA dagger and sword are derivated from the ancient Roman dagger and sword.

Here a tinnie ; the SA and Wehrmacht swords united by a chain. This tinnie is from Bautzen (rare) a place near Leipzig. In Leipzig was also was kept a meeting in 1934 with the same tinnie design, with the word Leipzig on it.

Cheers,

Benten

Hi Benten...

Careful what you wish for....I have the Leipzig version of that tinnie... :D

Same design as you said, but mine is dated 19.11.1933 (not 1934)....I can't see your date clearly, but is it for 03.12.1933 ?

This is why I asked the question earlier in this thread, was it usual for a tinnie, with identical design, to be used in different locations with a new town name and date, but the year date is the same...

I also think that the steel helmet used on the sword pommel is meant to represent the 'Stahlhelmbund'...as this was their main emblem...(I used to collect 'Stahlhelmbund' postcards)...

"Leipzig Brigade-Appell, 19.11.1933"

Claymore you are right. The date on my tinnie is 3.12.1933. Sorry.

I already had a feeling that you , as a collector of SA tinnies, could possible have the Leipzig tinnie :D .

Thanks for posting your tinnie .

Cheers,

Benten

Hi Benten,

What a wonderful HJ tinnie! Really like the dagger detail....very nice!

The tinnie I have posted here....I wonder if it's the same S.A. Brigade as the silver tinnie I posted back up this thread...but one year earlier? Maybe they liked using silver tinnies?

"SA Brigade Mfr. Sportfest 1933 N?rnberg"

...yes, I agree...a lot of the artwork is very 'iconic'....which is probably why I also collect postcards......I regard them as mini works of art....as with these tinnies that we collect....some of the artwork is very striking....

A tinnie for a fan of horses....with a heck of a lot of writing crammed onto the tinnie...

"Aufmarsch d. S.A. u.d. Reiterst?rme Standarte 214 zum Reitertag Malente 1.-2.Juli 1933"

@ Benten,

I've just been looking back through this thread....and you know the SA tinnie that you posted (eagle above two swords) "Bautzen Brigade-Appell, 03.12.1933"....

...and I posted my version, "Leipzig Brigade-Appell, 19.11.1933"...

...well, on page 19 of this thread, Mr.Ralph A., posted an image of the same tinnie, but it has the location "Dresden Brigade-Appell, 05.11.1933"...

...so now we have three variants of the same tinnie...

...Why?

...was this tinnie made for many different towns and used by a lot of different SA Brigades ?

...or was it a travelling exhibition of some sort....and in each town they sold a new tinnie ?

It would be interesting to know for sure!

Regards.

...and with the same badge in mind....I've just seen a fourth variant....inside the pages of Reinhard Tieste's books...

...just received the book's this morning, "Tagungs -und Veranstaltungsabzeichen 1930-1945"...the most recent version (2006 print)....and what do I find upon flicking through the pages....but the same badge with the wording..."Chemnitz Brigade-Appell, 29.10.33".....

...I will now slowly work my way through these books.....what a lot of tinnies!!!

...and with the same badge in mind....I've just seen a fourth variant....inside the pages of Reinhard Tieste's books...

...just received the book's this morning, "Tagungs -und Veranstaltungsabzeichen 1930-1945"...the most recent version (2006 print)....and what do I find upon flicking through the pages....but the same badge with the wording..."Chemnitz Brigade-Appell, 29.10.33".....

...I will now slowly work my way through these books.....what a lot of tinnies!!!

Hi Claymore , that is a nice artd?co tinnie . I like the well depicted action of man and horse.

Good to have Reinhard Tieste?s book with an over vieuw of tinnies.

Leipzig, Dresden,Chemnitz, Bautzen.

Why so many meetings in the same time and same groups.

Possible I have a clue?..about the helmet emblem ??I could be wrong??.

You are right as you already mentioned the Stahlhelmbund used this emblem, BUT we should have an evidence that it really concerned the Stahlhelmbund here and not the Wehrmacht ??

I'm not convinced it is not the Wehrmacht.

Imo , perhaps the answer is in the situation of that time??. The helmet stands for the Wehrmacht because it was the time that the NSDAP political was established after the referendum of 12.11.1933 ( you know of the JA- tinnie).All the opposition was finished. The Stahlhelm could already be settled in the SA . The SA and the Wehrmacht and NSDAP were different powers. In principal the Wehrmacht was still an independent force . By treaty of Versailles , a ?small? group 100.000 men, but political important to have for the NSDAP . They were the best of the soldiers of WW1 .

SA and the Wehrmacht......the purpose was ,through several meetings showing the unity (one chain around both swords) between them. Infact the SA wanted to replace the army with SA men.

The SA, large group in january 1933, already 400.000 men, who were becoming a threat for the NSDAP concerning the power. By making an alliance with the Wehrmacht the SA would become even stronger.The NSDAP didn?t like this at all. That is why the SS (of the NSDAP) killed some month later in june 1934 the SA top ( Night of the long knives).

I hope I didn?t make it too long :unsure:;) . I?m interested in your reply.

Cheers,

Benten

...'tinnies'......a contradiction in terms of an accurate material description....

...no 'tin' involved !

...plastic....

...I have to say...I am somewhat smitten by the range of plastic tnnies available....'Richard Sieper & S?hne' appears to have been quite prolific with his production...

...the detailing is wonderful...and they do seem to have survived the years far better than the regular metal tinnies...

...what I like about this plastic tinnie pictured below, is the almost 'runic' like text that has been used...along with the viking ship...

...very nice indeed...

"SA Nordsee Sportwettk?mpfe 1938"

Claymore, I like the Viking ship on the SA logo. The symbolism, the SA as sailors?.?. As Sturm troopers, you would not expect them on the sea. It is an analogy with the Vikings who expanded from their native home. I don?t know if the SA was really active on sea?

Nice detailed as you mentioned.The letters in a Runic script. Perhaps the signs in the flag have a meaning.

I don?t always like plastic tinnies, but yours is beautiful because it has very nice lead grey nuances in it.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

Benten

What is interesting to note is that many of the manufacturers of these tinnies are still going strong today...

For instance, Carl Poellath in Schrobenhausen is the maker's name on the reverse of this tinnie...

And the company exists today, in the same town...still making badges...

http://www.poellath.de/englisch/index.htm

"S.A. Treffen. Brig.86. Schwaben. 24.25.8.35"

Edited by Claymore

...very nice tinnie Benten...very nice indeed...great detail...

...it would appear that 1933 was a great year...at least...from an artistic point of view...I wonder who dreamt up this image before deciding it would make a superb looking tinnie...

"1. Aufmarsch der Untergruppe Plauen im Nationalsozialistischen Deutschland Zwickau, 11.Juni 1933"

Claymore , you have a good taste.

I like this one for its design and bronze colour. All is part of the composition; look at the feathers of the eagle. The wing feathers have a nice wavy design. The feet feathers are enlarged; they just are not 3D, the wing feathers behind it are nicely kept flat.

1933 was a good year .

Cheers,

Benten

...thanks for the good words Benten....I was rather happy to get hold of that badge...

...we shouldn't forget that the S.A. also had sailors...another 1933 tinnie...

"Niobe Ged?chtnisfeier u. Weihe d. Niobe-Mastes Marine S.A. Sachsen 22.10.1933"

Claymore , that tinnie is OK !! I found a Google site . The story of a book goes about Heydrich, but the ship is mentioned in it.

Here the main relevant text part ; not much , but nice to know .

Cheers,

Benten

Edited by benten

Hi Benten,

The Niobe was a German Navy training ship...on 26th July 1932 she capsized whilst in the Baltic Sea with the loss of 69 men, 40 others were saved...

I am assuming this tinnie was produced for a remembrance ceremony by the SA Marine brigade in Sachsen...and is available in a gold or silver finish (according to Tieste)...

The word "Ged?chtnisfeier" translates as 'memory celebration'.....

Regards.

Hello Claymore, thank you for your information about the Niobe sailing school ship . As you said it is a remberance badge.

Here my Sa badge 1934

http://www.glauchau.de/glauchau/content/8/16092003181518.asp Sorry, I don't find it in English .

Glaucau is situated under Berlin in Sachsen.

You see the Bismarck-turm ( tower) at the left on the tinnie and at the right the dubble castle.

Cheers,

Benten

18. 2 1934 Fahenweihe , Standarte 415 , Glaucau.

Edited by benten

Another nice S.A. tinnie Benten....and good background information....which helps to give the tinnie more meaning...

Here's another S.A. tinnie....again with a 'runic' style of script...used by the S.A. in the city of Trier...which apparently is the oldest city in Germany...with many Roman ruins...

....what I don't understand is why there is the letter 'M'......on the tinnie, located after the word 'Trier'....is this meant to represent a district perhaps? .......'M' could possibly mean 'Mitte' .....?

...there is a maker's mark on the reverse, 'E.H.O.' ....I don't know what it stands for.....

"Wettkampftage Der S.A.-Gruppe Westmark Trier M 8.-9. 7. 39"

About the ?M? , I think you are right Claymore.

Mitte - Gartenfeld, it is the historic town center ( Altstadt) of Trier.

E.H.O. I have no idea , but I ?ll keep it in mind.

A nice tinnie , with the wreath and sword, it has simularity with the official SA sportabzeichen .

Cheers,

Benten