News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Herman af Sil

I have come upon this photo of Herman af Sil?n, officer of the Swedish Navy and marine painter. When reviewing his medals I was surprised to find a most interesting combination: Swedish Order of the Star, a Swedish Medal, the Danish Order of the Dannebrog and the Order of the Star of Romania.

Any information on his activity and connection to Romania that could justify the Order of the Star is most welcome. Thanks.

silen1yw2.jpg

Very nice picture :)

I did a little research...

Danish Order of Dannebrog awarded 10. September 1894.

Swedish Medal 'Litteris et Artibus' awarded 1894.

Now, why was a navy commander awarded the 'Litteris et Artibus' medal normally used for actors, painters, writers etc.?

Well, it turns out that Herman Gustaf af Sill?n was also a painter (naval themes) :)

Can't help you with the Romanian Order of the Star though...

/Mike

Nice pic! :cheers:

Here is more info from http://runeberg.org .

?Well known naval painter and Commander of the Royal navy Herman Gustaf af Sill?n died suddenly 29 December, 51 y.o..

A person who was an extremely hard working man, thorough in his work and had many different fields of interest. S. was without a doubt a victim of overstrain.

[My comment: This last sentence is a euphemism for his suicide, not a thing society discussed openly.]

Born 1857, commissioned 1876, Commander 2nd class 1891 and 1st class ten years later. 1900 promoted to head of military drill and NCO schools at the naval base Karlskrona.

His last year was spent in Stockholm and he did much non-profit work. His naval paintings, done with great love, had gotten popular. As a recognition of his artistic work he was awarded ?Litteris et artibus?. Worth noticing is also that S. was the man who brought the question of a maritime museum to a, at least temporary, solution after many difficulties.?

The same site lists some of his paintings. One of the paintings ?Stockholms str?m? (the body of water in central Stockholm) was made for the King of Romania. So he probably got that order for a painting well done.

/Kim

The same site lists some of his paintings. One of the paintings ?Stockholms str?m? (the body of water in central Stockholm) was made for the King of Romania. So he probably got that order for a painting well done.

Thanks Kim for the update. If there are no other connections than the comissioned painting, I would guess that the accomplishments of Commander af Sill?n both in the navy and in the artistic world must have determined King Carol to appoint him Officer of the Order of the Star of Romania. Nevertheless it is quite interesting what unexpected links can be found between countries.