News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

What year was he born in on that last one? :speechless1:

Anhalt documents are always a prize-- don't think I've seen 6 in 30 years. :beer: All kinds of neat signatures to ID-- will return to that later. (For instance, just to show to what lengths Autograph Hunting CAN go-- the Hauptmann who signed off on his good conduct discharge in 1904 was Friedrich von Schlieben Junior. Born Gross Rinnersdorf 18.9.1864, when the war started he was a Major (1.10.12 Y4y) on the staff of Inf Rgt 67, holding Red Eagle 4, Johanniter, XXV, 1897, and AB3amKr. He was killed in action near Fili?res (Longwy) 22.8.14. His brother Bodo (b. 1866, also a Major, in Inf Rgt 59) was killed on the Russian Front in 1914. Parents Friedrich Sr (? 1896) and Agnes n?e von Schweinitz (? 1915), and surving brother (civil servant) and three sisters-- 2 of them widowed. Friedrich Jr left widow Margarete n?e Schn?rpel and children Charlotte and Joachi. This stuff gets addictive-- if pointless! :cheeky: )

What is even MORE interesting to me than the proze of the Friedrich Cross document itself is that this guy

this OLD Landwehr guy

was awarded the IX years Service Medal as a Reichsheer regular after the war and NOT (as was usually done) with retroactive credit back to day 1 of the war-- producing instant XII Years Service Medals in 1920) but ONLY the IX. So his status was retroactively adjusted but ONLY for PART of the war!!!!! :speechless1::jumping::jumping::jumping:

His medal bar would certainly throw us COMPLETELY off track, since we'd be assuming he was a discharged PRE-WAR career NCO who'd come back in--

not an 'elderly" Reservist with the last THREE years of the war counted as active duty in the regulars!!!!

What year was he born in on that last one? :speechless1:

Anhalt documents are always a prize-- don't think I've seen 6 in 30 years. :beer: All kinds of neat signatures to ID-- will return to that later. (For instance, just to show to what lengths Autograph Hunting CAN go-- the Hauptmann who signed off on his good conduct discharge in 1904 was Friedrich von Schlieben Junior. Born Gross Rinnersdorf 18.9.1864, when the war started he was a Major (1.10.12 Y4y) on the staff of Inf Rgt 67, holding Red Eagle 4, Johanniter, XXV, 1897, and AB3amKr. He was killed in action near Fili?res (Longwy) 22.8.14. His brother Bodo (b. 1866, also a Major, in Inf Rgt 59) was killed on the Russian Front in 1914. Parents Friedrich Sr (? 1896) and Agnes n?e von Schweinitz (? 1915), and surving brother (civil servant) and three sisters-- 2 of them widowed. Friedrich Jr left widow Margarete n?e Schn?rpel and children Charlotte and Joachi. This stuff gets addictive-- if pointless! :cheeky: )

What is even MORE interesting to me than the proze of the Friedrich Cross document itself is that this guy

this OLD Landwehr guy

was awarded the IX years Service Medal as a Reichsheer regular after the war and NOT (as was usually done) with retroactive credit back to day 1 of the war-- producing instant XII Years Service Medals in 1920) but ONLY the IX. So his status was retroactively adjusted but ONLY for PART of the war!!!!! :speechless1::jumping::jumping::jumping:

His medal bar would certainly throw us COMPLETELY off track, since we'd be assuming he was a discharged PRE-WAR career NCO who'd come back in--

not an 'elderly" Reservist with the last THREE years of the war counted as active duty in the regulars!!!!

Rick, Born 1881, in what order would his medals be in?

Guest Rick Research

Oh, '81! I thought it looked like '71 on the little scan!

EK2, Anhalt Friedrich, Hindenburg Cross X (missing?), IX years Service Medal, Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal. Couldn't have worn the Kyffh?userbund Medal after 1934.

Oh, '81! I thought it looked like '71 on the little scan!

EK2, Anhalt Friedrich, Hindenburg Cross X (missing?), IX years Service Medal, Hungarian WW1 Commemorative Medal. Couldnt have worn the Kyffh?userbund Medal after 1934.

Nice group, must be out there, so Rick are you teasing me on the Hanovarian papers :rolleyes:

Paul,

document 4 signed by Regimental Commander Guido Julius Ferdinand Hedicke, born 8 August 1854. Originally commissioned into Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 66, his final prewar assignment was that of Commandant of Swinemunde from 18 May 1908 to 15 August 1911 when he retired on promotion to Oberst with permission to wear the uniform of F?silier-Regiment Nr. 38. Retired finally as a Generalmajor and died in 1929.

Regards

Glenn

Paul,

document 4 signed by Regimental Commander Guido Julius Ferdinand Hedicke, born 8 August 1854. Originally commissioned into Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 66, his final prewar assignment was that of Commandant of Swinemunde from 18 May 1908 to 15 August 1911 when he retired on promotion to Oberst with permission to wear the uniform of F?silier-Regiment Nr. 38. Retired finally as a Generalmajor and died in 1929.

Regards

Glenn

Glen, thanks, now to find a photo and the medals

• 5 years later...

Not the best in the world... from some electronic copy of Die Woche ..periodically featuring EK recipients during the war. Only other GenMj Hedicke was GenMj Otto 18.04.03 B

Cheers

Elwyn

Edited by freiherr