News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Is this a Finnish ribbon bar?

Just got this ribbon bar with what look like Finnish awards. Rick suggested medal of liberty 1st and 2nd class? And what could be #3? A Finnish civilian award? Or a regimental commemorative? Or even a Vasa order?

File5344a.jpg

Edited by webr55

1st two are as Rick said - Medal of Liberty 1st Class (1. luokan Vapaudenmitali) and 2nd Class (2. luokan Vapaudenmitali).

Your last thought on the 3rd seems correct. A Vasa. I don't know of any Finnish commemoratives that are all-green.

The construction is not Finnish, nor do the ribbons have the normal ratio of height to width of standard Finnish ribbon bars. It may be Swedish-made, which would fit with (1) a Vasa and (2) the lack of campaign and commemorative medals. There could also be a missing second row.

Standard Finnish height/width:

FI_ribbon_bars.jpg

Edited by Dave Danner

Dave, here's an example of the exception of the rule regarding the width. Also a standard Swedish ribbon bar for comparison, although I'm not too sure they normally feature a cloth backing.

Another question is the difference in width between the various decorations. Your Order of the Lion and my Order of the White Rose are wider than the Cross of Freedom, which seems to have the less wide ribbon regardless of class. Any thoughts as to why?

cheers

Peter

Thanks for the reply. Lukasz Gaszewski lists some Finnish civilian awards, chamber of commerce and the like, on green ribbons:

http://www.medals.lava.pl/fi/fi1.htm

The only problem with that is that those are really low-ranking medals. They would come well after any war medals or campaign crosses. So if there were a missing second row with those, a green Chamber of Commerce Medal would come afterwards.

Dave, the top bar with the Order of the Lion Commander is indeed correctly mounted with a button and a silver stripe. However if I'm not mistaken, the 1st class (neck-cross and Star) would have a button and a stripe with gold and silver The wider ribbon on my bar is a Order of the White Rose for Officer 2nd class. That would indicate the same size of ribbon was used on these two Orders, regardless of class. Still the Officer 1st class on my second bar feature a narrow ribbon, which gives no consistency to this theory. Complicated :blush: .

cheers

Peter

Dave, the top bar with the Order of the Lion Commander is indeed correctly mounted with a button and a silver stripe. However if I'm not mistaken, the 1st class (neck-cross and Star) would have a button and a stripe with gold and silver The wider ribbon on my bar is a Order of the White Rose for Officer 2nd class. That would indicate the same size of ribbon was used on these two Orders, regardless of class. Still the Officer 1st class on my second bar feature a narrow ribbon, which gives no consistency to this theory. Complicated :blush: .

cheers

Peter

It could be something as simple as the tailor running out of Finnish White Rose ribbon stock and using something else like French Academic Palms.