News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Greece - Medals in wear

Having lodged recently in one of those hotels that have exotic travel magazines in the rooms, showing expensive places folks like us could never afford to visit, much less afford to stay or eat in . . . .

I noticed, as part of an article on unknown Greek islands (I assumed no one ever asked the folks who live there?), an interesting photo of a proud veteran wearing his medals.

Hopefully the old boy left them that way and did not change them to the post-royalty design of 1983 :jumping:

He appears to have the following on the bar:

1. Cross of Valour 1940 (bar has 1940 on it.)

2. Medal for Outstanding Acts 1940.

3. Royal Navy Campaign Cross & with submarine symbol probably in Silver for a Petty Officer.

4. Long Service and Good Conduct Medal for NCOs 1937 (Naval Ribbon).

5. Commemorative Medal for National Resistance 1941 - 1945.

6. Commemorative Medal of the War of 1940 - 1941 (Navy)

7.Commemorative Medal of the War of 1941 - 1945 (Navy)

8. (Unknown to me). Police Service Post War?? :unsure:

Kevin in Deva. :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

As far as I have been able to discover, despite the bickering during the 1970s during the regime change, it has remained acceptable to wear pre-1974 ('Royal') orders and medals if you received them.

There is a military commemoration day during my next visit to Greece so I shall look out for bemedalled veterans and pester them for pictures.

6. Commemorative Medal of the War of 1940 - 1941 (Navy)

7.Commemorative Medal of the War of 1941 - 1945 (Navy)

G'da Kev

6 and 7 are not specific to the Navy, they were awarded to all arms of the forces. They were also awarded to Commonwealth troops, as my uncle fought on mainland Greece and Crete and he was awarded both, strangely enough. I have them in their boxes of issue with the award certificates.

I applied on his behalf through the Greek Consulate in Melbourne, requesting the Commemorative Medal of the War 1940-41, and they awarded him with both of the above!! I don't believe he qualified for the 41-45 medal under its guidelines for issue, but someone obviously made a mistake or was feeling generous.

Regards;

Johnsy

G'da Kev

6 and 7 are not specific to the Navy, they were awarded to all arms of the forces. They were also awarded to Commonwealth troops, as my uncle fought on mainland Greece and Crete and he was awarded both, strangely enough. I have them in their boxes of issue with the award certificates.

There are two versions. The obverses are the same, but the Army and Navy versions have different campaigns listed on the reverse.

There are two versions. The obverses are the same, but the Army and Navy versions have different campaigns listed on the reverse.

Live and learn...

Thanks for the info, all the references I have looked at with regards to those medals have been for the Army version.

Regards;

Johnsy