News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

T?tulo "H?roe del Trabajo de la Rep?blica de Cuba"

Stogieman

For future reference:

Complete weight: 11.8 gr (light - clearly not solid gold)

Without suspension: 6.75 gr

Width startip to startip: 30.20mm

Thicknes of star (incl. cogwheel): 6.30mm

Width from suspension: 25.60mm

Height of suspension: 19.30mm

Box: 24.30 x 61.20 x 81.70

Guest Rick Research

The star is hollow, right?

Does it look to you like the pins (those stupid, weak, dumb dumb dumb straight pins! :speechless: ) were clipped off? They are not as long as on the military Gold Stars we have seen:

Hi Rick, talk about an eye for detail :cheeky:

It could be hollow (how to know?) but is definately not full gold considering the weight.

I checked up close and indeed the pins are broken off so it might just be that the suspension for both awards ought to be identical.

• 2 months later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 13 years later...
    • 5 months later...

Certainly too late to answer, but I wouldn't risk any buck on it: the colors on suspension are painted, not enameled...

The dented gear seems "polished" or "scratched with sand paper, it is not the "soft touch" of precise coins (technique often seen in Bulgaria or Czechoslovakia).

Edited by seb16trs

• 5 months later...
    On 28/12/2021 at 11:39, bbrandon said:

HI Guys,

A guy is selling 4 Cuba Hero Medals at ebay, he says they are original from Cuba. IMHO they are fake - but still wanted to ask around here - did Cuba have a new Revision / Type of Hero Medals that does looks so chinese faked now?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125072163460

If you bid on that and then complain once you get it as being fake, he'll say "I never said it was Cuban"

Pay close attention to how he advertises it: " «"Golden Star" of the Hero of Labor of Caribbean»"

Hi guys, i've purchased several times from this seller over the past few years and it has always been fine.  I know he has good connections with people on the island and his stuff comes directly from there.  

But it's true, the quality of the Orders has significantly deteriorated over the years, and obviously not just since the end of the URSS.  This happened for many reasons, among the first the enormous economic difficulties of the country which are reflected in every area, including decorations. 

Regarding Bob's observation, i have an explanation and i'm 99.9% sure that it's like that: avoid the word "Cuba" in auctions to avoid problems with ebay / paypal.  This is happened to me twice during the years, the last one during a uniform sale: the payment was blocked by paypal and they asked to me for an explanation about the items.  Payment freezed for 11 days then everything ok.  All of this vecause of the embargo restrictions and so on

I have done some research during the last 2 days and can now definetely confirm that there is a new type of Hero of Labor Medal in Cuba. This new Version hast got a large gear now behind the star, actually quite similar looking to those sold at ebay right now.

This can be also seen on the cuban award sites:

http://www.trabajadores.cu/heroe

Comparing the date of the pictures, this new typ of award seems to be in official use since around 2021, as the 2020 awardess seem to still have received the older, known type.

Also the Cuban Hero of Labour Award Ceremonies which can be found at Youtube, show this new design around 2021, when you look very closely - see pic below.

Still, about these medals sold online I can't tell if those are wearers copies, tourist souvenirs or the real deal. I am not even sure if wearers copies are/were common in cuba. Also what I found to be quite uncommon, is, that each award seems to be available as a screwback AND as a pinback Version - with otherwise very minor to non-existant differences. (excluding the miniature sizes). Could this have to do anything with first and second class of this medal?

What I also realized is, that the hole of the support plate where the ring goes through looks quite large on the versions at ebay. So it could be that this new 2021 award Version already has another subtype (if ebay medals are the real deal).

PS. About "caribbean" and "cuba" wording in description, what pride wrote is true - ebay does not allow cuba products to be sold and paypal will make a deep check and / or block payment when word "cuba" shows up, they are also blocking quite some communist countries products that way.

hero1.JPG

Edited by bbrandon

5 hours ago, bbrandon said:

I have done some research during the last 2 days and can now definetely confirm that there is a new type of Hero of Labor Medal in Cuba. This new Version hast got a large gear now behind the star, actually quite similar looking to those sold at ebay right now.

Comparing the date of the pictures, this new typ of award seems to be in official use since around 2021, as the 2020 awardess seem to still have received the older, known type.

Also the Cuban Hero of Labour Award Ceremonies which can be found at Youtube, show this new design around 2021, when you look very closely - see pic below.

Still, about these medals sold online I can't tell if those are wearers copies, tourist souvenirs or the real deal. I am not even sure if wearers copies are/were common in cuba. Also what I found to be quite uncommon, is, that each award seems to be available as a screwback AND as a pinback Version - with otherwise very minor to non-existant differences. (excluding the miniature sizes). Could this have to do anything with first and second class of this medal?

What I also realized is, that the hole of the support plate where the ring goes through looks quite large on the versions at ebay. So it could be that this new 2021 award Version already has another subtype (if ebay medals are the real deal).

PS. About "caribbean" and "cuba" wording in description, what pride wrote is true - ebay does not allow cuba products to be sold and paypal will make a deep check and / or block payment when word "cuba" shows up, they are also blocking quite some communist countries products that way.

Exactly, they have changed the design in recent years, here you can see it quite clearly